INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How JRiver is Made  (Read 3654 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
How JRiver is Made
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:48:13 pm »

Maybe you've wondered, when we've let you down, what are those guys "thinking", "doing", "smoking", etc.  I want to try answer that and tell you why it's not as easy as it  seems.

We've been working on media software since 1998.  That's more or less the time when the Diamond Rio came out.  It was considered to be the first MP3 player, so that's pretty early.

We started with Media Jukebox.  We gave it away for a couple of years and then thought, "Hey, why don't we sell it?"  I think that was MJ8 and we ran with it for a couple of years.

We began with Media Center in version 9, when we added video.  We raised the price a little.  $39.98?

14 versions later, we're at $49.98 and we sell a lot of licenses for it.

What makes this possible is the team of developers.  This has changed over the years, but the current team has been the core group for a long time now.  They are (in alphabetical order):

Matt Ashland, who is the primary architect of the software, though he inherited a lot of pieces from previous developers.  Matt is the author of Monkey's Audio, which was neck and neck with FLAC when we hired him.  It would be an APE world if he hadn't come to work at JRiver.

Brad Atima, who we found a couple years ago, and taught him to program, or at least taught him how to teach himself how.  Brad has worked in a few languages and on a few projects, now is working on Engen and the Id.  He's young and smart and will do great things in the future.

Bob Brose.  Bob is an unusual combination of hardware guru and software guru, and this has served JRiver well for almost as long as JRiver has existed.  He came to work in 1982, just after we started.  He wrote a payroll in mbasic, when we did accounting software.  He later wrote a terminal emulator in assembler, when we did DOS/UNIX connectivity software.  He is our main server admin.

Yaobing Deng, our TV expert.  He quit teaching physics to do something meaningful and has worked at JRiver since time out of mind.  For about 15 years, he's worked remotely, living in Chicago.  He patiently solves every problem that comes his way.

Hendrik Leppkes has been at JRiver for about five years now.  We've worked with him for maybe ten years, since he was the author of the LAV filters that, along with madVR, are the basis of Red October.  He has an amazing comprehension of the nuances of video, but his knowledge and problem solving extend far beyond.  Hendrik works in Hamburg, Germany, and along with Yaobing, visits Minnesota every couple of years.

Gene Olson has been at JRiver a couple of different times.  He did our Podcasting feature, from start to finish, about ten years ago.  It's worked ever since.  Now he's working on Engen, our home automation software.  Gene brings a lot of experience from a lot of other companies.

John Thompson is our utility man.  He can play all positions and do it well.  He backs up Bob on server hardware.  He's written a lot of our server software.  He programs in C++ and Ruby on Rails and other languages.  He is a developer's developer.  He's been at JRiver since I was a young man.

Keenan Thompson, along with Brad, may be the future of JRiver.  He's worked at JRiver in the summer for four or five years.  He ran his own Minecraft server business when he was in 10th grade and made good money at it.  At JRiver, he's worked on porting and on web apps.  He's working on Radio KISS now.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: How JRiver is Made
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:08:43 pm »

That's the team.  Here's what they do.

Each person specializes in an area or two or more.  This tends to happen organically.  Bob grumbled about porting MC to Linux when he began, but he's adopted it and the derivative Id completely.  People tend to see what needs to be done and they do it.  There are a few exceptions, but the failures are outweighed by the  success of the overall work.

Like other developers, they check out source code from a source machine, work on it until the changes are finished, then check it back in.  This might take a day or two or a week or two.

The source is made up of hundreds of pieces.  Each has an author, and most have many succeeding authors.  Together, they make up about 1.5 million "lines of code" (something like a sentence of words).  They are the instructions that tell the computer what to do.

As you might expect, they all have to work together.  Like a chain, if a single piece fails, it all comes crashing down.

Any given piece may depend on a dozen or more other pieces.  Change one and you better get it right.

Every couple of days, a "build" is made.  This is the compilation of all the source into discrete programs, that are collectively, JRiver Media Center. 

This build, if it works, may be posted to the beta forum.

At this point, the software becomes public.  A build gets published first to beta, where 100 users try it and say thumbs up or down.  If it survives their scrutiny for a few days, it may get moved to Latest, where anyone can find it on the forum.  This gets a hard look by 1000 or more users.  If that works, eventually, it gets promoted to Stable and appears on the Download Page.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 07:14:46 pm »

It is this "getting it together" part that is the trickiest.  We need to get everyone's work in sync, so no screw is left unturned, and we have to do it without undoing some previous work.  We must also do it on three OS's and keep it working with the Id, with Gizmo, JRemote, and so on.

To hop from one stable build to another may take a few days or it may take a month.  Everything has to line up.

Our users are our our "secret sauce".  They let us know, at every stage, what we need to fix, what we can improve.  Without this community, we would be lost.

And that's the story of how we work.

brureid

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:33 pm »

Thank each and every one of the very talented list you named, and keep up the amazing work.  I only recommend MC for a digital media solution, as it has been the best, and keeps getting better!

Thanks all,

Bruce

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:32:59 pm »

Interesting stuff. You left out Jim H. Background? Role? Specialization?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »

Yes Jim; tell us about yourself, experiences, etc.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 07:37:22 am »

keep up the awesome work.   this software is worth every penny!  is that literally the entire dev team?   having been a dev and now managing multiple scrum teams worldwide i have come to the conclusion that one or two small teams is ideal.

who works on jremote and how can i bribe him or her?   :P

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

jack wallstreet

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 10:22:52 pm »

I think a lot of us appreciate having this description.  Thanks.
John

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:41:35 am »

Interesting stuff. You left out Jim H. Background? Role? Specialization?

Jim is being unusually shy, so here is some info on Jim:
- Native Nebraskan living in Minnesota for 40+ Years
- 5-11, 170lb, and is 73 years old
- Existed prior to the PC Era and made and sold wood heaters
- Likes to travel and has a more recent career as a Painter
- The Founder and CEO of JRiver
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 06:44:55 am »

Been reading my driver's license on line?  I'm 180 now.

I'm seriouspainter on Instagram if you want to see more of my grubby life.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 07:35:49 am »

;D You posted it, I just did the math:

though I think this is a better photo (but may be of an earlier vintage!)

JRiver CEO Elect

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 08:02:29 am »

OMG... TMI...

CEO/Founder was a given. Regarding programming of the JRiver software code- Jim's specialization?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 09:04:49 am »

mbasic

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 11:22:56 am »

Neat stuff, Jim.

Thanks for the life update.

By the way, are you still interested in photography?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up