INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: madVR exclusive mode & mouse seeking  (Read 5949 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
madVR exclusive mode & mouse seeking
« on: July 28, 2017, 05:44:39 pm »

When using fullscreen exclusive mode and the mouse to seek through the video (not the mousewheel), madVR's exclusive mode jumps between enabled/disabled, becoming a bit annoying to the eyes. Is there a way around this?

Perhaps a different UI that won't interfere with exclusive mode is needed in this case? Is it even possible? Thanks.
Windows 10 Pro x64

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
Re: madVR exclusive mode & mouse seeking
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:11:57 pm »

annoying, yes.   i use jremote and generally avoid this issue

i suspect in exclusive mode the issue is the overlay of controls that force it to switch to windowed mode.  i think this is a jriver thing and not madvr.   could be wrong of course

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:45:53 pm »

annoying, yes.   i use jremote and generally avoid this issue

i suspect in exclusive mode the issue is the overlay of controls that force it to switch to windowed mode.  i think this is a jriver thing and not madvr.   could be wrong of course
The way to find out is to use Red October Standard and see if the problem goes away.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 02:01:49 am »

If this is a huge concern for you I would recommend to just not use Exclusive Mode. We do not plan to create a new mouse UI that works in exclusive mode.
The OSD used with remote controls works fine without breaking exclusive mode, fwiw.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:04:57 am »

When using fullscreen exclusive mode and the mouse to seek through the video (not the mousewheel), madVR's exclusive mode jumps between enabled/disabled, becoming a bit annoying to the eyes. Is there a way around this?

Perhaps a different UI that won't interfere with exclusive mode is needed in this case? Is it even possible? Thanks.
It is because JRiver UI/Controls appear in Fullscreen Windowed mode. madVR switches between Fullscreen Exclusive mode and Windowed mode everytime you access those controls. I too find it very annoying and have made a request previously that there should be an option to disable JRiver's controls/seekbar and enable madVR seekbar in FSE mode (like how it happens in MPC-HC and other players). Here is the link to that request:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100799.0

Interestingly, JRiver's OSD seekbar doesn't break the FSE mode, but it doesn't work with mouse.

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 02:08:55 am »

We do not plan to create a new mouse UI that works in exclusive mode.
Will it be difficult to just provide an option to disable mouse UI in FSE mode and enable madVR OSD seekbar if it is selected in madVR settings?

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 03:52:48 am »

If this is a huge concern for you I would recommend to just not use Exclusive Mode. We do not plan to create a new mouse UI that works in exclusive mode. The OSD used with remote controls works fine without breaking exclusive mode, fwiw.

Ok thanks, although a bit disappointing to hear. Guess I could disable exclusive mode but with Windows (10 even more so) you can never know when a notification will decide to pop-up, so not a good option. Not planning on using a remote with the PC.

Will it be difficult to just provide an option to disable mouse UI in FSE mode and enable madVR OSD seekbar if it is selected in madVR settings?

Yes, it seems that this option exists but does not work. Why not offer it as a non-default option? It'd solve the issue, even if it's a simple seek-only bar.
Windows 10 Pro x64

RD James

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 05:40:03 am »

+1 for an option to disable the mouse interface when FSE Mode is active, if it's not going to be updated.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 05:42:20 am »

Not going to happen. It only comes up if you go to the top of the screen with the mouse, so just stay away from there, but we're not going to offer an option to basically make Display View un-navigatable unless you remember keybindings or whatever to get out of it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RD James

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 06:09:13 am »

It seems to happen when anyone accidentally hits the mouse and it touches an edge, not only the top.
Hitting ESC or double-clicking should exit FSE Mode.

With FSE Mode and the option to disable the mouse UI when FSE Mode is active both being optional, someone is not going to find themselves in that position accidentally.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:00:56 am »

Maybe madshi could find a solution.

audioriver

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:05:57 am »

Not going to happen. It only comes up if you go to the top of the screen with the mouse, so just stay away from there...

It's not about accidental moves (even though that happens, too), but seeking. It comes up every time you want to seek the video with the mouse, which is a common and convenient way of seeking using the video position bar.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:51:50 am »

Maybe madshi could find a solution.

Thats not how it works. In Exclusive mode the video renderer has exclusive control of the screen. Nothing else can render on it. You can somewhat compare it to audio exclusive mode, it gives you a tad bit more control but blocks anything else from interacting with it.
The only "solution" is to render the GUI through the video renderer, but thats a huge effort which is not quite worth undertaking with the way how MC renders the GUI.

If you use playback on a desktop system with a mouse a lot and the exclusive switch annoys you, I would just recommend to disable exclusive mode.
In fact, Exclusive mode is disabled in the default configs we provide for ROHQ.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »

If you use playback on a desktop system with a mouse a lot and the exclusive switch annoys you, I would just recommend to disable exclusive mode.
Disabling Exclusive Mode also disables 10 bit output. Also, Exclusive Mode is much more stable on systems with AMD cards (as I have experienced).
Pages: [1]   Go Up