INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertical phone video rotated  (Read 4074 times)

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
Vertical phone video rotated
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:03:32 pm »

Hello!

I have several videos taken by phone.   The vertical videos (long side going up and down) are all rotated by JRiver 90 degrees counter clockwise when played.  The videos work properly in every other program I've tried.  The thumbnail displayed in JRiver is OK too.  Just cannot get the video to display vertically when played in JRiver.

Using the latest download (from today).

Thanks,
Jeff

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Vertical phone video rotated
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 05:32:48 pm »

Annoying isn't it. mov files from an iPhone by any chance?

And if you're lucky and they do rotate properly, you lose half the frame height as MC crops in.

MC has been like that a long time now. I resorted to paying for third party software to reencode to mp4. Stuck in my throat a bit, but nothing else would work.

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:59:59 pm »

Actually, these are .mp4 files from a Samsung phone, I believe.  Some Android flavor anyway.  It's interesting that every other program I use displays it properly. 

I do have some video conversion software.  Guess I could try that. 

Still, would think they would want to fix that. 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:26:24 pm »

The symptoms Marko describe have been documented for a long time. I use VLC for watching portrait format cellphone videos.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 11:39:13 pm »

Actually, these are .mp4 files from a Samsung phone, I believe.  Some Android flavor anyway.  It's interesting that every other program I use displays it properly. 

I do have some video conversion software.  Guess I could try that. 

Still, would think they would want to fix that. 
Interesting. I had Android phones for years (all HTC) before switching to iPhone a couple of years ago, and never had any problems with video from them.

It could be that your issue and the iPhone .mov issue are unrelated. Someone else may chip in with more info. Are you able to share a sample the doesn't display correctly? That may help the developers identify the problem, if it is unrelated to the issue with .mov files.

The symptoms Marko describe have been documented for a long time. I use VLC for watching portrait format cellphone videos.
Too long, eh? Ours are exposed to the family via Theater View on the TV. I used to have them play back using Quicktime, but that messed with the volume in a bad way, disabled it if I recall correctly, so in the end, resorted to third party conversion software. I wish that I didn't have to do that. It's a pain.

With all the smartphones in use out there today, I'm surprised this doesn't come up more often, and even more surprised that MC still can't deal with these files.

-marko

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:54:10 am »

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:10:38 am »

I approve of this video. Don't accept VVS as fact, try to change the world!

Nevertheless, I fixed the cut-off playback of rotated videos with ROHQ in the next build of MC23. If you're using Red October HQ and rotated videos don't play properly after that (either not rotated at all, or some other issues), please provide a sample file. Note that Red October Standard does not rotate videos, because the video renderer in use there doesn't give us that option, so for the time being you'll need to run ROHQ for this feature.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:01:10 pm »

Well... Thank you. Thanks too to jkolker for bringing this up.

It works for the .mov files that were an issue for me. I've not tried on the HTPC yet, but on the server PC, they're OK.

chrisxyz

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:00:11 pm »

Hello!
I have still the same problem: Vertical videos (mp4) taken by a Samsung android phone are rotated by JRiver 90 degrees counter clockwise when played. The videos work properly in VLC. The thumbnail displayed in JRiver is OK (vertical). I am using version 23.0.48.
Thanks!
Chris

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 12:27:51 pm »

Make sure you use Red October HQ in the video settings. Red October Standard does currently not support rotating videos.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

chrisxyz

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »

Thank you! I tried, but my computer is too slow for Red October HQ (my computer is basically for playing audio, passively cooled and Intel-Atom :) based). Never mind, I have only a small number of vertical videos.. Maybe it would be possible to play them in the future...

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 01:45:26 pm »

MC has been like that a long time now. I resorted to paying for third party software to reencode to mp4. Stuck in my throat a bit, but nothing else would work.

There are FOSS options out there. Here's one I found on SourceForge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freemake-video-converter/?source=directory
YMMV is the critical acronym here. Sounds like your mileage was very poor. Time can also be a factor - what didn't work a year ago has been dealt with by an update or something new last month. So, there's a lot that will depend on what works for you. That said, I've got vid edit software that I paid for. Each to their own.

Loved the VVS clip. I'm doing what I can within my circle of influence.

Hendrik, thanks for the tip about ROHQ. Useful to know.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up