INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving recorded tv shows  (Read 7317 times)

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
moving recorded tv shows
« on: July 31, 2017, 07:32:25 am »

Hi all , been getting on quite well with jriver. im trying to movie my recorded tv shows to an external drive which has tv shows on it eg (the goldbergs is on the external drive in the format of the goldbergs\season\the goldberg s01e01 thats the folder stucture on external drive .

ive have add this to subcribe tags Filename (path) E:\Shows\[Series]\[Season]\... ( also placed season in between [series]\season\[season] )...  (but jriver always adds another folder called season, just want jriver to add the new episode to the already season folder ( ive got season one on external hard drive with 11 episodes now im recording episode 12 for season one),as said jriver keeps making another season folder .... im trying to make this as automatic as possible (to be honest bit fed up having to keep exiting the theather view then standard view to do things) ... (was mediaportal user for many years which i could setup mcebuddy to do these things automatic ie once set up it just done it in back ground....

used the rename,copy move tool but as said bit fed up that ive got keep exiting to standard view to do things i want a htpc to just do these things in back ground.

thought i was on a winner when i started to apply tags to recordings but ive lost

any how any help would be welcome to make this move to external drive automatic as said set it up once then it does it

kev

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: moving recorded tv shows
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 08:35:30 am »

Can you post your exact rule from the subscription so that we can see what it is?

Also - are you sure that your guide data has the season and episode info in the data?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:20:09 am »

this is how i done this for subscribe recordings via the subscribe apply these tags (with me)...  select custom then in the top field i select filename (path)

in the value box i put this E:\Shows\[Series]\[Season]\ and and when that did'nt work i remove that value and entered this as new value  E:\Shows\[series]\season\[season] which did'nt work also

which i've mention in my first post, also yes i have all the season,episode numbers in the tv guide as i mention in my post i just want jriver to add new episodes to the rest of the show on the external drive not to make another season folder in the same directory where there is already a season folder

thx for the reply

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:10:36 am »

Your rule E:\Shows\[Series]\[Season]\ for The Goldbergs S01E01 would result in a path of:

E:\Shows\The Goldbergs\01\{filename}.ts

If you want to get rid of the '01' then remove the [Season] tag from the rule.  If that is not what is happening, then something else is going on.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:24:12 am »

thx for the reply... I'll remove the season and give it ago

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 10:42:15 am »

My suggestion for the rule would be under the 'Filename' tag that includes the full path and file name:

E:\Shows\[Series]\[Series] - S[Season]E[Episode] - [Name].ts

This should end up with the following as a filename:

E:\Shows\The Goldbergs\The Goldbergs - S01E01 - pilot.ts

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:59 am »

thx but E:\Shows\The Goldbergs\The Goldbergs - S01E01 - pilot.ts is no good  i have a folder on the external drive like this the goldbergs\season 1\the the goldbergs S01E11

ive tried these examples and i end up having a folder called season thats it and in that folder i have the goldbergs S01E12 which is no good i want it in the same place as epsiode 11 .
the new example puts a folder in the main folder called the goldbergs ie the goldbergs\the goldbergs\S01E12 grrr .

so tryed all the methods i've end up with a folder with 01 , season, and the goldbergs grrr why cant i tell it to move and place the new episode into the already season 1 folder not make new folders in the dircortory

many thx the the help

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 11:04:16 am »

Can you copy the exact rule from the rule (don't just re-type it).  I know that seems redundant, but it just seems to me that you may have a typo in the rule, and that would help me see exactly what is going on.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 11:08:32 am »

i have a folder on the external drive like this the goldbergs\season 1\the the goldbergs S01E11

Try this:

E:\Shows\[Series]\season [Season]\

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 11:10:23 am »

here you go
filename (path)
E:\Shows\[Series]\[Series] - S[Season]E[Episode] - [Name]
Media sub type:TV Show
Thetvdb Series ID:269653

thats exactly how the rule looks

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 11:11:47 am »

Maybe I misunderstood (most likely), but I thought he was trying to get rid of the season folder.

If I did, sorry...if not, what would probably be most helpful is if you give us 2-3 examples of what you want the folder structure to look like.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 11:12:34 am »

ive tryed that one E:\Shows\[Series]\Season [Season]\ and it just puts a new folder called season

many thanks tho

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 11:13:40 am »

here you go
filename (path)
E:\Shows\[Series]\[Series] - S[Season]E[Episode] - [Name]
Media sub type:TV Show
Thetvdb Series ID:269653

thats exactly how the rule looks
So that should end up with:

E:\Shows\The Golderbergs\The Golderbergs - S01E01 - pilot

Is that not what you are getting?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 11:16:12 am »

as in my first post i have already the folder structure on the external drive i just want jriver to move the new recorded episodes into that folder structure on the external hard drive but automatic hence why i was fiddling around the the rules tag to do this

many thx

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 11:17:23 am »

So that should end up with:

E:\Shows\The Golderbergs\The Golderbergs - S01E01 - pilot

Is that not what you are getting?

I think he wants the show to go into an existing folder called \season 1\.  That is why I suggested \season [Season]\

However

ive tryed that one E:\Shows\[Series]\Season [Season]\ and it just puts a new folder called season

Does the show really have a value 1 in [Season] field?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 11:20:34 am »

yes that what im getting which is not what i want like i've mention i don't want jriver to make a new folder structure when its all there already just want the new episode moved to the external hard drive which has a folder structure the goldbergs season 1 then episodes go in the season 1 folder after the recording is done thats what i was hoping it will do with these rule tags

thanks for the help

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 11:24:00 am »

hi yes it does have the season 1 field in the epg data ie if i dont use any type of rules then it recording in the jriver recording directory as the goldbergs - S01E12 - name of pragram

very much appreciate the help

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 11:25:25 am »

yes that what im getting which is not what i want like i've mention i don't want jriver to make a new folder structure when its all there already just want the new episode moved to the external hard drive which has a folder structure the goldbergs season 1 then episodes go in the season 1 folder after the recording is done thats what i was hoping it will do with these rule tags

thanks for the help

Where exactly does the show go when you use this rule: E:\Shows\[Series]\season [Season]\ for [Filename (path)]?  In other words, what is the folder that MC creates that you think it should not?

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 11:29:28 am »

it ends up in the folder on the external drive so the full folder once the recording as ended is like this

E:\Shows\The Goldbergs\Season (the new folder with episode in it) then the original season 1 folder with the rest of the episode (so if you looking at the folder via explorer you see one folder season  and the other one season 1 with all episodes in it

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 11:29:34 am »

By the way, I have set up a couple of recordings for this afternoon.  I hope I will be able to see how it works.

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 11:32:13 am »

appreciate that many thanks for the help

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 03:22:12 pm »

My tests show that it works as expected, with only one caveat which I don't think applies to your case.

First off, since none of my shows have any season and episode data, I had to manually set some values.  So I found a few "HardTalk" episodes I recorded on BBC World News channel.  I gave these shows a value 5 for [Season] and use Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool to move them into

H:\Video\TV Recordings\HardTalk\Season 05\

using [Series]\Season [Season]\ for folder rule.  Notice that a '0' was inserted before '5'.  I then set a new episode to Season 5 manually too, and recorded it this afternoon, with the rule of moving the file: "H:\Video\TV Recordings\[Series]\Season [Season]\".

The result: the show was copied to folder "H:\Video\TV Recordings\HardTalk\Season 5\".  That was not the existing folder, but close.

On the other hand, I also did the same experiment with another show, Arthur, and set the shows' season to 100.  This time the newly recorded Arthur show was moved into the existing folder, where older recordings reside - "H:\Video\TV Recordings\Arthur\Season 100\".

So, I believe this should have worked for your case, since your existing folder was "season 1", not "season 01". 

I would like you to check your TV recording rule and make sure you spelled [Season] correctly.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »

I haven't used the [Filename (path)] tagging function a lot, but I found it works as expected and described by Yaobing.

It would help to not write partial rules and file paths in the discussion, as it just makes it hard to work out what is intended. Using episode examples would help as well.

But for example, in your first post Kev, this is obviously wrong, as you have added an unrequired red \, highlighted below.

... ( also placed season in between [series]\season\[season] )...  (but jriver always adds another folder called season,

This is going to result in a path of;
series name\season\season number

i.e.
Big Bang Theory\season\9

as MC replaces any tag exactly as specified in the rule. The rule is a character by character template. Anything inside a tag delimiter, [], and the delimiters themselves, are replaced exactly with the contents of the tag. Anything else is reproduced exactly as you write it. If a tag is empty, then that portion of the rule produces no characters. i.e. If [Season] is empty, the above rule would have put the file into the sub-directory;
Big Bang Theory\season\

So, for Episode 5 of Season 9 of "Big Bang Theory", if the EPG data for Season and Episode exists, the file created by MC will be;
Big Bang Theory - S09E05 - The Perspiration Implementation.ts

For this recording, when using the tagging rule for [Filename (path)] of;
E:\Shows\[Series]\Season [Season]\

the file will be saved in the folder ;
E:\Shows\Big Bang Theory\Season 9\

Note: The [Filename (path)] tag does not include the actual file name. Leave the file name structure off and let MC name it correctly, as it will. If you want to use a different naming convention, which it doesn't look like you do, then set the [Filename (name)] tag in the tagging section of the Recording Rule. However, if you do that you will lose the leading zeros in the Season and Episode numbering. See below.

So the full path to the file will be;
E:\Shows\Big Bang Theory\Season 9\Big Bang Theory - S09E05 - The Perspiration Implementation.ts

Note that for file naming of recordings, the leading zero is retained or added for the "SxxEyy" portion of the name, as it should be. At the same time, the leading zero is stripped from the [Season] and [Episode] tags, so the final sub-directory is "Season 9" rather than "Season 09".

Easy really.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 05:22:10 am »

hi all got a update, the rule E:\Shows\[Series]\Season [Season]\ worked as i wanted which was fantastic many thanks for the help with this ,,, but it only worked when the server part of jriver was disabled when i enable it for a client server it just puts a folder called season like ive mention in my post anyhow going to uninstall and reinstall then enable the server client again to see if that fixed it if not i start posting me logs.

for now it works without the server service enabled

many thanks for all the help

big thumbs up to all

Update a reinstall of jriver has now fixed my issues many thanks..

PS is there a rule for movies only that i can use also like the tv series one...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 09:30:00 pm »

Same process. Just check the [Media Sub Type] tag to decide where a recording should be saved. Use an Expression in the Recording Rule tagging area to do that.

Of course, it isn't uncommon for a recording to be misclassified as a Movie when it should be a Show, or visa versa, so you will still need to fix some stuff when the data doesn't allow a good choice. You could include more tests to be sure it is a show, for example, if it has a Season and Episode number. But that isn't going to be completely reliable. Plus you would need to fix an incorrect [Media Sub Type] tag anyway, to get the program to show in the correct views. Now you would just need to move it to the correct place manually as well.

Actually Yaobing, what are the rules for MC to decide something is a Movie again? I couldn't find a description anywhere the other day. Program length is used, I know, and I assume a Keyword of "Movie" is also used. What else is used to decide?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 08:50:20 am »

Actually Yaobing, what are the rules for MC to decide something is a Movie again? I couldn't find a description anywhere the other day. Program length is used, I know, and I assume a Keyword of "Movie" is also used. What else is used to decide?

The main factor is the "movie" or "film" keyword in the EPG data.

EDIT: I should have said, the keywords are used to make a determination if you use xmltv options (including mc2xml).  In other EPG modes, the determination is made in different ways.  For example, with PercData, we check the ProgramID field in the EPG data and call it a "movie" if the ID starts with "MV".

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »

Thanks Yaobing.

A lot of my recorded Movies end up marked as Shows unfortunately. The good thing is that with the new ability to tag and check tags from within the Television section of Standard View, I am able to find what was recorded easier, and change the [Media Sub Type] as required much easier.  :D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 06:37:22 pm »

Shows and movies are separated by their duration.  An hour and a half is a movie, for example.  I'm not sure where the division is.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 01:35:30 am »

Shows and movies are separated by their duration.  An hour and a half is a movie, for example.  I'm not sure where the division is.

Thanks Jim. I thought the duration came into it as well, but I couldn't find a reference to that in the Wiki at all. A bit hard to find in the forum as well.

Could we get confirmation on the cutoff point? I did think it was 90 minutes, but I could be thinking of software I used in the past!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 06:29:31 am »

I don't know the answer to that and someone would probably need to look at the code.  Assume it's an hour and see if you can confirm that with your results.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:16 am »

The duration is used when "Carnac" decides, which may not be used for TV, since we don't really have a filename to start from.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 02:36:15 pm »

The duration is used when "Carnac" decides, which may not be used for TV, since we don't really have a filename to start from.

Indeed.  For TV it is dependent on which EPG source we use.  For XMLTV we use keywords to determine.  For PercData we use MV-prefix in program ID.  I suppose we can also use duration of a program as a backup method, but then many sports programs are long too.  Similarly there can be long news programs too (but rarely longer than 1 hour?).  Another example is Comcast Music Choice channels usually use programs 2 hours a piece.  So we have to first make sure a long program is not a sports or other non-movie program.  This then returns us back to keywords again.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't want my 3+ hour MotoGP recordings to be classified as movies, so using the Keywords is fine. My EPG does usually carry the "Movie" Keyword for movies, but sometimes it must be missing, as I still get Movies in Shows, and I have seen long Shows classified as movies.

Not to worry, as long as the recording is made, I can find it. The new Television section in Standard View makes that a whole lot easier.  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up