INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id Reboot/Shutdown Issue after upgrade to ID 22 MC 22  (Read 1221 times)

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
Id Reboot/Shutdown Issue after upgrade to ID 22 MC 22
« on: July 31, 2017, 07:40:34 pm »

I have managed to update my original Intel NUC Id to Id 22.0.81 MC 22.0.110 by following the instructions. It was painless, thank you! Everything seems to work so far, although I am not done testing the HDMI power-on/off fully yet—I need a few days to observe it.

However, there is an issue that I remember I have experienced a long time ago, between some very old updates. When I try to reboot it using option 98 it goes through the shutdown sequence but it hangs at the end displaying one of the last two console messages, which are (see attached screenshot):

- In text modes: [info] Will now restart.
  - In GUI mode: rcpbinyd terminating on signal. Restart with “rcpbinyd -w”

If I try to shut it down, using 99, it hangs similarly, without powering off, but the message displayed is:

- In text modes: [info] Will now halt.
  - In GUI mode (same as for 98): rcpbinyd terminating on signal. Restart with “rcpbinyd -w”

The keyboard is locked at that point, cursor no longer blinks, and the only course of action is to force a power-off with a long press of the hardware button. It seems like the OS is not getting hardware to fully power off, the fan keeps spinning and the video is still on, even though the keyboard is already dead.

I thought this might have been because I was still using an older BIOS, version 52. I have updated to the current for the Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH, BIOS Version 0059 - FYBYT10H.86A.0059.2017.0607.2130. I am afraid it made no difference, the issue still remains.

For what it is worth, I think the issue started not immediately after the upgrade, as I have rebooted it, but after I have applied the subsequent update using option 12. That update caused it to reboot. Then I tried the option 12 once more, to check if any more updates were due. From that point on it stopped rebooting/powering off. But maybe my memory is wrong on that...

Any ideas what else to try to fix this?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id Reboot/Shutdown Issue after upgrade to ID 22 MC 22
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:34:06 am »

I have managed to update my original Intel NUC Id to Id 22.0.81 MC 22.0.110 by following the instructions. It was painless, thank you! Everything seems to work so far, although I am not done testing the HDMI power-on/off fully yet—I need a few days to observe it.

However, there is an issue that I remember I have experienced a long time ago, between some very old updates. When I try to reboot it using option 98 it goes through the shutdown sequence but it hangs at the end displaying one of the last two console messages, which are (see attached screenshot):

- In text modes: [info] Will now restart.
  - In GUI mode: rcpbinyd terminating on signal. Restart with “rcpbinyd -w”

If I try to shut it down, using 99, it hangs similarly, without powering off, but the message displayed is:

- In text modes: [info] Will now halt.
  - In GUI mode (same as for 98): rcpbinyd terminating on signal. Restart with “rcpbinyd -w”

The keyboard is locked at that point, cursor no longer blinks, and the only course of action is to force a power-off with a long press of the hardware button. It seems like the OS is not getting hardware to fully power off, the fan keeps spinning and the video is still on, even though the keyboard is already dead.

I thought this might have been because I was still using an older BIOS, version 52. I have updated to the current for the Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH, BIOS Version 0059 - FYBYT10H.86A.0059.2017.0607.2130. I am afraid it made no difference, the issue still remains.

For what it is worth, I think the issue started not immediately after the upgrade, as I have rebooted it, but after I have applied the subsequent update using option 12. That update caused it to reboot. Then I tried the option 12 once more, to check if any more updates were due. From that point on it stopped rebooting/powering off. But maybe my memory is wrong on that...

Any ideas what else to try to fix this?
I've seen that once and I'm trying to remember what we did to fix it. I think it may have been a bios setting. Perhaps you need to change the bios so it doesn't look for USB drives to boot off of since I see from your screenshot that you have a USB drive attached.
Pages: [1]   Go Up