INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to list composer tags for all albums in library at once?  (Read 1716 times)

ddeloria

How to list composer tags for all albums in library at once?
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:23:25 am »

My first group of 506 classical albums handles the composer tag in very different ways. Some are correct, some are empty, some attach the composer name as part of the filename, some only include the composer in the album title. How can I get an overall list of the three or so tags that will let me quickly separate all 506 albums in the library into separate groups to be fixed using the expression language? If JRiver is incapable of full library tag lists my fallback is to write a Perl program to do it, but with all of the power of JRiver I assume there must be some internal way.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to list composer tags for all albums in library at once?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:40:44 am »

Panes is probably what you're after

Set up a view with the tags in the top panes.  You can bulk tag with panes as well

Also a smart list would work

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:50:02 am »

I agree:  A Panes view is the most powerful way of working with this kind of data.

After you have your list in your Panes, you'll probably notice patterns.  Simple stuff like [Composer] is empty.  Or [Composer] contains certain characters.  Or more advanced things like, [Artist] contains parenthesis or square brackets.

You can then write a Panes "saved search" for these patterns.  These are called Search Lists; they are a Panes type.  When you edit a Pane, you can make it a Search List type, and then build a list of searches.  These searches can use all of the expression language, including Regular Expressions, or anything else you want.

This way, you can narrow your results, simply by clicking on the appropriate saved search.

The next technique is to make a custom field with a name something like [Composer Approved].  Make this a checkbox field, and simply check it for all of the files that have the correct [Composer] tag.  *Then* you make another Search list Pane which hides all files that have [Composer Approved] set to 1 (checked) !

So, as you go along, you end up with less and less files that show up in your Panes view because you are fixing them, and then marking them as "approved".

I've used this technique to build numerous views for doing maintenance.  It works pretty well.  :)

Good luck.

Brian.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:37:37 pm »

I am a classical listener with a huge tagged library in the thousands of albums.  I do not do anything sophisticated.  I simply created a view of my albums by composer for both JRiver and JRemote.  I use that view > 90% of the time when browsing my albums for playback selection anyway.  Actually, the specific display I use is Composer/Genre/Album.

Periodically, I also review Composers via thumbnails or as a list to look for duplicates, typos, missing entries, etc.  The bad ones quickly stick out like a sore thumb. And, I just correct the tags album by album.  Done.  But, the view I created is just the same one I normally use for playback.

ddeloria

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:18:41 pm »

Thank you ferday, bigentry (especially you for the detail), and Fitzcaraldo215. The panes I created separated the many composer variations instantly and easily, including some I missed, like composer listed as artist. Fitz I want to access my audio files by composer like you, but until I fix the missing composer tags I cannot.

Thank you for your prompt replies and simple solution, I never would have discovered this method on my own.

Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up