INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Select audio tracks in mka (mkv wo video track)  (Read 3276 times)

Ripman

• Recent member
Select audio tracks in mka (mkv wo video track)
« on: August 01, 2017, 03:22:28 pm »

I just purchased the master license today. Nice product.

One thing I do with BDA's is create an mkv with MakeMKV, and then mux out the video track with mkvmerge. This leaves me an mkv (viz., mka) file with only audio tracks and chapters. In JRiver MC 23, I see the chapter names under Player>Display Options>Jump To.

Where do I see the multiple audio tracks? If I click "Video" in the left tree, and then right-click "Display", I see the "DirectShow Filters>Select Filters...", but when I click, no dialog opens. Under "File Types" in the left tree, I changed the MKV association to use "JRiver video engine (using DirectShow Filters)" from "Automatic". Under "Video" in the left tree, Video mode is set as "Red October Standard".

Thanks.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Select audio tracks in mka (mkv wo video track)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:36:19 pm »

During video playback, bring up the context menu (right click) and look for "Streams". You'll see the video stream on top and the audio stream(s) below. Pick the audio stream to suit your audio playback.

Just in case you weren't aware, MC has a function to extract the audio stream from video. It might offer a useful alternative for you. In that case, play the video and select the audio stream (as per the above) to put MC on focus. Then do a convert format. More details are here:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convert_Format#Extract_Audio_from_Video_Files
I've used this method to pull the PCM audio out of concert videos that I wanted in a sensible, universal audio format like flac or ape.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Ripman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:11:48 pm »

Thank you for your response. I will definitely look into the extraction process you mentioned.

Back to my OP if possible, please: Basically, there is no video playing bc there is no video track - I removed it bc it takes up space and just shows some totally basic skin. Here are 3 screenshots (in 1 jpeg) that shows what I see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yapdnezg25xqbnd/JRMC23---Screenshots.jpg?dl=0

Sorry for the confusion. Just getting things setup today and stuff.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:42:10 pm »

Yep .. I did provide some kind of answer addressing your OP. Some interpretation is required (I think).

The second (middle) screenshot redlines DirectShow Filters --> they relate to video, so, you've got no video. You've stripped it out. So, no surprise, it's showing up blank and therefore (I'm guessing here because I've not done this) you won't be able to select the audio track you're interested in.

What I've done before with a concert video that I wanted to extract the audio from is:
1. Rip the BD to mkv using MakeMKV
2. Apply the strategy I mentioned previously
3. I then used Audacity to edit the resultant FLAC into the individual tracks.

Now, I'd do a step between 1 and 2 and that is use MKVToolNix to split the video by chapter to make breaking out the individual tracks straight forward and avoid step 3.

I'm making assumptions about your intent. Perhaps if you set out your end objective, you'll get better answers.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RD James

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 05:47:26 am »

You can also use particles to 'split' files into individual tracks, but you have to copy the timecodes manually.
MKA files don't seem to be particularly well supported in Media Center. I ended up creating individual MKA files for each audio format instead of storing multiple audio tracks in a single file.

Converting 'video' to audio works if you're using lossless sources, but most of my MKA rips are 24/96 DTS 5.1 tracks.
Not only would the conversion be lossy, converting them to a "lossless" format massively inflates the file size. A 500MB DTS track becomes a 2.5GB FLAC file.

Ripman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 06:34:52 am »

THanks for that info. I was thinking he same thing - skip the container, and just grab the flac audio.

No issue using Audacity to create tracks, so that'll work. If I write a script... I could probably grab the xml chapters from the mka/mkv via mkvmerge; pull out the chapter timecodes; and use the timecodes to send back into mkvmerge as split times to create separate tracks. Tbh - I only have a few of these kind of discs anyway, so the benefits may not be all that great regarding the scripted approach.

Thanks again. I really like the MC player 23. So many features, especially for HDAudio-heads.
Pages: [1]   Go Up