INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting in the "Playing Now" List  (Read 2803 times)

MRjr

• World Citizen
Sorting in the "Playing Now" List
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »

I have 17 Handle Concerti in ripped under a Genre. Each Concerto has the movements numbered 1-n where n is 4 or 5. If I put each piece in the playing now list the list is correct, each concerto is in order. If I select the "All Albums" and put that in the Playing Now list, the list has all of the number 1 movements first, followed by all of the number 2 movements, etc. I don't believe Handle would be happy about this, nor am I.

Is there a way to get the playing now list to show all of the pieces in the same manner when I add them at one time as when I add them all at once?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting in the "Playing Now" List
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:39:30 pm »

It sounds like maybe you don't have the [Album] tag populated.  Can you post a screen shot showing [Artist],[Album], etc for these files?

Brian.

MRjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:16:29 pm »

Three random selections.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:39:45 pm »

Hmm.  Do these files have track numbers?

I just added 6 albums from the same artist to playing now and they added in the correct order.

Brian.

MRjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:57:49 pm »

They all have track numbers, however, each piece begins with track number 1 for movement 1. Each subsequent track in the piece is numbered sequentially as are the movements. The second piece begins with 1 again, the first movement. If I number the tracks 1-n where n is the last track of the last concerto the order is correct in playing now but that is not the way movements are numbered.

In Img-1 I have selected "All Albums". If I rt-clk on that and do an add to playing now, the order is as I first reported, all number ones are at the top, etc.

In Img-2 I have done what should be the equivalent but if I rt-clk on the full selection (rt. side) the concertos go into the now playing list correctly.

This is a bug at some level or at least a very strange design decision - but I do have a solution.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:18:56 pm »

I don't really understand what's going on, or honestly, what you are trying to say.  Maybe someone else has some better ideas.

I'm glad you have a workaround though.  :)

Brian.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 06:43:08 pm »

This is fairly common in poorly labeled classical recordings.  When it occurs, I load them into "Playing now" and sort them on filename but "within groups".  Then I have the library manager renumber the tracks based on the present order and save the library to the file tags.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 07:41:42 pm »

I see what you are trying to do. You want Playing Now to sort by Album and then Track.

Your Img-2 method is a good compromise. So is KR4's method, or just adding [Album] to the Playing Now view and then clicking the Track column heading then the Album column heading.

But I also found that the sort is correct if you;
Right Click All Albums
Select Send To > Play (Player) > Add (play now)

But hang on. I just right clicked "All Artists" within my "Audio > Genre > Alternative Punk & Rock" View, and selected "Add to Playing Now". Playing Now was then sorted correctly by Album and then Track. So the sort is correct by default.

Add [Album] to your Playing Now view and post a screenshot. Also share a bit more information about the View you are using, which shows Albums within a group called "Handle". Is that a custom Composer View? Details? It may be that the View is causing the problem. Not sure.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 06:32:49 am »

The issue is not "playing now".
The issue is the way that Media Center handles playing groups of tracks.

For example: If I set up a view that groups by:
[Album Artist (auto)] (sort: A-Z)
[Album] (sort: oldest first)

It will list albums in the way that I want to browse them.
But if I click "play" on an artist, it ignores the sort rules and plays the albums alphabetically.
And this order is also different from the "group by" rule which is being used to list the albums if I have the file browser open on the top-level artist view.
There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

Depending on how things are tagged, I can see why those classical tracks might end up playing this way. I've encountered similar issues in the past.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 06:54:57 am »

In the options for General > Behavior, you have several choices for playback.  Try the "Play Visible" one.

RD James

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 08:05:22 am »

In the options for General > Behavior, you have several choices for playback.  Try the "Play Visible" one.
This sets the behavior for the playback controls (play/stop/skip), not what happens when you select "play" from the context menu or when hovering over a group.
Here are two examples of unexpected behavior:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 05:46:23 pm »

The issue is not "playing now".

The OP was asking about sorting in the Playing Now list. My method worked.

I am using this setting. Maybe that is why it worked for me.

It also worked when I used the "Play" context menu, giving the same result as "Add to Playing Now".

OP: I did note that you didn't have dates (Year) against all your Albums. That could be part of the issue, as default sort tend to take the [Year] tag into account.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up