INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Needed-Encoder Setting Command Line Switches  (Read 1300 times)

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
Help Needed-Encoder Setting Command Line Switches
« on: July 02, 2003, 01:35:08 am »

Currently using MJ 8.0.399 but thinking about upgrading to MC.  Simultaneously I've been in the early stages of educating myself and testing the various encoding formats available.

While reading/searching some of the posts here, ran across an informative thread in MC titled "The better audio format" dated 6/24/03 regarding the various encoding formats.  Got me interested in doing my own "blind tests" with some of the suggestions offered.

Depending on the format, various command line switch settings were mentioned (ie. Ogg Vorbis at -q7 or -q8).  Where does one learn about these various switches?  

Checked MJ's Help file titled "Encoding Settings" and ran across an incorrect link listed which promised help in this area but the link showcased Real Estate/Finances.  Below is the quoted excerpt;

Custom.  For your own custom commands, select "custom" in the drop-down menu, then click on the advanced button. For information on command line switches, see http://r3mix.net, then select "Quality" in the left frame."

Thanks for your feedback,

Blair

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help Needed-Encoder Setting Command Line Switc
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 11:58:28 am »

Depending on the format, various command line switch settings were mentioned...

Check out the forums at Hydrogen Audio. Most of them have a sticky thread at the top that list the recommended settings for each format. Actually, the Ogg Vorbis forum doesn't, but the quality settings (-q0 thru -q10) are all that you really need. For that matter, both MP3 and MPC also have simplified presets that pretty much negate the need to use any of the command line switches and will give you better quality than any settings you could come up with on your own.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?s=a27ed0eb8b827f8470cab6ad03c0f5d2&act=idx

Hydrogen Audio has pretty much replaced r3mix.net as the source for encoding info. r3mix hasn't been updated for quite a long time.

Rob

ballen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 10:03:04 am »

Rob,

Thanks alot for your reply.  Headed off to the site now.

Peace,

Blair

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 10:13:36 am »

What would be the difference between selecting this:
--alt-preset insane (320 kbit/s CBR, highest possible quality)

And selecting 320kbps on the selector??

Thanks,
-

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 10:26:18 am »

Most likely there is no difference. It's my understanding that only the VBR presets (like --alt-preset standard) use the code-level tweaks that aren't available using the command line switches.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up