INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member with issues and questions  (Read 3951 times)

shakeydeal

• Recent member
New member with issues and questions
« on: August 05, 2017, 07:06:30 am »

Just got my jriver server up yesterday. I am using Gizmo as the controller along with a chromecast player.

During playback Gizmo has problems with transitioning from one track to another. The connection fails momentarily then comes back. But most of the time it will jump forward several tracks, and sometimes it will play a different track from what is actually displayed. I also get intermittent static pops, but no drop outs during playback.

I tried moving the laptop with the server AND the modem into the same room as the system. No change. Ususally they are both upstairs with the main system and the chromecast player downstairs. I couldn't discern any improvement after moving them both.

The good news is this configuration is head and shoulders above my Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server combination. I am shocked by how much better the music is. I would just like to figure out these issues.

Thanks

Shakey

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: New member with issues and questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:12:37 am »

Search the forum for BubbleUPnP, which should sort out most of your CCA issues. You won't get gapless playback though.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 07:24:38 am »

Welcome to the forum.

Please describe the setup a little more.  Laptop with the server?

Pops can happen when a DAC switches from one sample rate to another.  You can use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to resample everything to one rate.  Buffer size is another possibility.

Are you using DLNA?  If so, try connecting directly to the DAC instead.  You should be able to get gapless playback.

shakeydeal

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 07:57:06 am »

I am using an HP laptop with the server loaded.

Not sure why the DAC would switch sample rates while playing back a track.

I have bubbleup loaded on the tablet that contains Gizmo and it recognizes chromecast as the renderer.

I would rather not connect directly to the DAC because this is not a dedicated laptop. My aim is to be able to use wifi and keep it in another room.

I did increase the buffer size from 6 seconds to 10 seconds, but haven't tried yet to see if that helps.

What about the memory playback settings? Would this help?

Shakey

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:15:50 am »

In my experience the CCA/Bubble combo requires a very strong WiFi signal. If the signal is weak it will play a track and then stop, or pause for a long time between tracks. And when starting a playlist it almost always skips the first track. What kind of files are you sending? The CCA's optical output crackled with anything over 48/24, but that could have been due to the optical cable and its mini adapter.

shakeydeal

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:18:39 am »

Most of the files are either WAV or ALAC. Some FLAC. No hi rez files.

I have no issues with the wifi when streaming from Amazon/Netflix and had very few issues with the squeezebox. Some buffering once in a while, but not often.

Shakey

connersw

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 09:14:36 am »

Pops can happen when a DAC switches from one sample rate to another.  You can use MC's DSP Studio > Output Settings to resample everything to one rate.  Buffer size is another possibility.

Are you using DLNA?  If so, try connecting directly to the DAC instead.  You should be able to get gapless playback.

He is using Gizmo to cast to a Chromecast.  None of what you wrote is relevant to his set up.  MC's DSP Studio is not active in this scenario and buffer size has nothing to do with it.  He already explained he is not using DLNA.

OP: Gizmo casts using the settings within Gizmo.  If you want to mess with any settings, you can mess with those.  There is no sample rate change going on (all audio is being sent at whatever mp3 setting you have selected in Gizmo Audio Quality) so I'm not sure what is causing the clicks/pops.  You can try setting it to Low 64kbps to see if that helps with transitioning/lack of response.

(PS: As an aside, I'm not sure how "much better the music is" compared to your old set-up.  At best you are only sending a 320kbps mp3 stream.  There is no magic here).

In general though, I think what you are running into is the limitations of casting.  It is slow to respond and frequently lags.  I have found it to be a cool party trick where you can be like "hey, check out how I can send this ONE song to the TV."  It plays, then you move on to other things.  Its slow response, issues with seeking, and often disconnection do not make it a viable solution for an sort of consistent, long term playback.  My Chromecast has been sitting in closet somewhere for a couple years now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 09:35:49 am »

I am using an HP laptop with the server loaded.
Maybe you mean JRiver's Media Server.  In that case, I think you're using DLNA.
Not sure why the DAC would switch sample rates while playing back a track.
If the pops are in the middle of the track, then switching isn't the cause.
I have bubbleup loaded on the tablet that contains Gizmo and it recognizes chromecast as the renderer.
Gizmo can connect to Chromecast without using Bubble.
I would rather not connect directly to the DAC because this is not a dedicated laptop. My aim is to be able to use wifi and keep it in another room.
I see.
I did increase the buffer size from 6 seconds to 10 seconds, but haven't tried yet to see if that helps.

What about the memory playback settings? Would this help?
No.

shakeydeal

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 09:55:51 am »

He is using Gizmo to cast to a Chromecast.  None of what you wrote is relevant to his set up.  MC's DSP Studio is not active in this scenario and buffer size has nothing to do with it.  He already explained he is not using DLNA.

OP: Gizmo casts using the settings within Gizmo.  If you want to mess with any settings, you can mess with those.  There is no sample rate change going on (all audio is being sent at whatever mp3 setting you have selected in Gizmo Audio Quality) so I'm not sure what is causing the clicks/pops.  You can try setting it to Low 64kbps to see if that helps with transitioning/lack of response.

(PS: As an aside, I'm not sure how "much better the music is" compared to your old set-up.  At best you are only sending a 320kbps mp3 stream.  There is no magic here).

In general though, I think what you are running into is the limitations of casting.  It is slow to respond and frequently lags.  I have found it to be a cool party trick where you can be like "hey, check out how I can send this ONE song to the TV."  It plays, then you move on to other things.  Its slow response, issues with seeking, and often disconnection do not make it a viable solution for an sort of consistent, long term playback.  My Chromecast has been sitting in closet somewhere for a couple years now.

No, you are wrong. I am using it in DLNA so it is passing the original signal.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:13:59 am »

I am using it in DLNA so it is passing the original signal.
It depends on how you have MC's DLNA Server set.  No conversion would be best.

DJLegba

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 11:11:01 am »

I have no issues with the wifi when streaming from Amazon/Netflix and had very few issues with the squeezebox. Some buffering once in a while, but not often.

I set up my CCA a couple of years ago with MC21 and was very happy with it for a while. I was using the analog out to feed a boombox on the patio. However, eventually I started having problems similar to yours (except for the clicking). I wasn't sure if they were caused by Google's CCA updates, Google, changes to MC (I had upgraded to 22), networking issues, or a combination of any of those. When the boombox died I replaced the CCA/boombox setup with a Naim Muso Qb, which has worked flawlessly, so I think I can rule out MC22 and networking.

Have you looked into the Raspberry Pi to run Media Center and feed your DAC?

shakeydeal

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 11:19:30 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think Gizmo was the problem. When using bubbleup as the controller the issues go away. The only thing I don't like is having to leave the application on, otherwise it loses the chromecast connection. Any ideas on that?

Shakey

DJLegba

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 11:29:19 am »

Does restarting the Bubble server via the browser interface reestablish the connection?

connersw

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 11:44:02 am »

No, you are wrong. I am using it in DLNA so it is passing the original signal.

In your original post, you wrote that you were casting from Gizmo.

Sorry, but that is not how casting or Gizmo works.  You are not using DLNA (I believe Gizmo is using MCWS, but I could be wrong).  When casting through Gizmo, you are essentially playing the file in Gizmo and casting it using Gizmo's settings (here, I believe Gizmo is using the original DIAL protocol).  See Hendrik's comments:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,89246.msg614766.html#msg614766 

Also, just because you are using DLNA, it does not mean you are passing the original signal.  As Jim wrote, it depends on your Media Network DLNA server settings.

There is no way to cast directly from MC. 

If you are casting through BubbleUPnP app, then you are using DLNA to BubbleUPnP, then casting from the app.  In that scenario, it is possible to send uncompressed audio; however, there are two instances where the signal can be changed:  1) in MC Media Network settings and 2) in BubbleUPnP audio settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up