INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote and Id won't connect  (Read 11174 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
JRemote and Id won't connect
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:00:07 pm »

Id was working fine in my system (Synology NAS, Arris modem from Comcast, Bel Canto REFStream renderer, JRemote 3.25 on iPad Air). I took it to a client's home when I installed his Id. Just in case there was a problem with his Id, I was going to substitute mine. I didn't have to install mine or even power it up and brought it home. When I reinstalled it at home, using the same port on my high speed switch, JRemote will no longer connect to it (but can connect to my laptop so I still have music). I uninstalled and reinstalled JRemote, trying to connect by access key, but am still not connecting. See error message at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xinlwgdunaei3ky/Screenshot%202017-08-05%2017.48.43.png?dl=0 . If my next step is to create a new access key, I assume I have to hook up KVM to Id in order to do that. Is there any other faster way or can you recommend any other possible solution based on the error message?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73rifnbg9gx5sby/Screenshot%202017-08-05%2017.28.16.png?dl=0

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRemote and Id won't connect
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:28:30 pm »

The IP address probably changed.  If it doesn't correct itself in a few hours, try turning Media Network off and back on.  That will generate a new Access Key.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:34:18 pm »

Thanks Jim. It's already been a lot longer than a few hours and I did a reboot of the router and the Id, to no good effect. Is that what you mean by "turning the Media Network on and off"? Or do you mean unchecking and then checking Media Network in MC21 in the Options menu under Tools? If the latter, will I have to do that in the Id since each Access Key is reserved for each device that MC21 is installed in?

The 10.0.1.202 LAN address didn't change, as I have it reserved for the Id by MAC address in my AirPort Extreme router. It also shows up at that address when I scan the network with Advanced IP Scanner. Comcast may have changed the WAN address and there's no way for me to know that since I never kept track of it. But shouldn't the .202 address be sufficient for JRemote?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 06:30:04 am »

... do you mean unchecking and then checking Media Network in MC21 in the Options menu under Tools?
Yes.
If the latter, will I have to do that in the Id since each Access Key is reserved for each device that MC21 is installed in?
Yes.  You will use the new Access Key.
The 10.0.1.202 LAN address didn't change, as I have it reserved for the Id by MAC address in my AirPort Extreme router. It also shows up at that address when I scan the network with Advanced IP Scanner. Comcast may have changed the WAN address and there's no way for me to know that since I never kept track of it. But shouldn't the .202 address be sufficient for JRemote?
That's an outside address.  If you're on the same LAN, use the IP address of the server, not the outside address.

The wiki has a topic called Network Access .

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:17:49 pm »

Thanks again Jim. Unchecking and checking Media Network brought up the exact same original Access Key, as opposed to a new one, but it did allow me to reboot the connection between JRemote and the Id even though entering that same Key didn't work before.

I must disagree with you about the 10.0.1.202 address. It is the server LAN ("inside") address issued by the AirPort Extreme (whose standard range begins with 10.0.1.1 and goes up from there). JRemote identifies the Id by that address when I look in the JRemote settings. I believe the outside address shown in my screen print is 24.5.160.120 because I see Comcast.net in that line and Comcast is my ISP.

I had already read the Network Access article and didn't find it relevant to my issue. But your good info was.  :D

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 02:51:14 pm »

I noticed that my computers are running MC21 and the Id is running MC20. (Yes, I'm the opposite of an early adopter.) Can this cause any problems? I have the MC21 key. How do I upgrade the Id to MC21? I couldn't find this info by searching the wiki or the forum.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:05:58 pm »

To get a new access key, you go into the media network settings, click on the access key and do "reset".
Then click on it again to get another access key.

The Id didn't have MC21 at any point, it went from MC20 to MC22.
If you aren't updating the PC from MC21, it's probably best to stay on MC20 on the Id since MC22 has a new library layout.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 03:10:11 pm »

I noticed that my computers are running MC21 and the Id is running MC20. (Yes, I'm the opposite of an early adopter.) Can this cause any problems? I have the MC21 key. How do I upgrade the Id to MC21? I couldn't find this info by searching the wiki or the forum.
The only upgrade available for the IdNUC is to MC22:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110326.msg762788.html#msg762788

You might need to upgrade to MC23 on the other computers.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 04:57:04 pm »

Thanks Bob & Jim. I just checked and found the Access Key Reset option. I will use it in the future if I need it.

I won't upgrade the Id to MC22 until I upgrade the computers to MC23.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 03:02:13 am »

It's been only 2 weeks since the last event and once again JRemote won't connect to the Id (It will connect to my laptop.), but this time it hasn't been removed from the system or shut down for any reason. Yesterday it was working and today it isn't. I rebooted the router and the Id to no good effect. I am not adding the error message as it is basically the same as the one I sent a link for the last time, which says it is timing out; the IP address is correct, as is the access key. I know I should be able to solve the problem by hooking up KVM and retrieving the access key again. But this is a royal pain, as I have to remove the large monitor from my desktop computer system, carry it to the Id, find & hook up a keyboard and mouse, etc. Is there no way to get into the Id from another computer and accomplish the access key renewal? Why is the Id and JRemote connection so unstable?  ?

RobertNewPi

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 03:32:38 am »

Do you generally close JRemote on the iPad? (actually swipe it off the screen then restart it) I often found when running MC on a NUC with windows 10 that JRemote wouldn't re-connect or respond to 'wake' but closing and re-opening it did work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:15:21 am »

For what it's worth, I have a friend who fought with a problem like this for a few weeks, including having us refresh the Id.  In the end it was solved by replacing a couple of Ethernet over Powerline adaptors.  He had had a lightening strike while he was on vacation and the strike took out a couple of other pieces of equipment, so it was not a complete surprise.

BradATIMA

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 08:13:52 am »

Is there no way to get into the Id from another computer and accomplish the access key renewal?

You can connect to the Id remotely from another computer using an RDP or VNC client. If you have a Windows 10 computer, the easiest way would be to use the Remote Connection app to connect to the Id. If not, you can download a VNC client, like UltraVNC. The default remote connection password is "remote" but you can change this from the Id main menu.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 05:28:57 pm »

Thanks Robert. The first thing I do when JRemote malfunctions is to swipe it off and on a couple of times. This did not help in this situation.

Thanks Jim, there have been no power outages during this period and all my gear is protected by Panamax surge protectors. Panamax actually claims their stuff even protects against lightning damage and will replace your gear if it is harmed by any kind of surge that gets past the Panamax. The Id is connected to a Pakedge high speed switch, which is connected directly to the AirPort Extreme, which is connected to the Comcast modem, all with 3 ft. long CAT6 cables. So all of that is solid.

Thanks Brad, I have Windows 7 Pro. Should I download UltraVNC? Although I know how it functions, I've never used VNC. So I may have further questions as I proceed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 06:08:04 pm »

I don't think you can assume everything is solid if the Id comes and goes.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 06:36:34 pm »

If you look at IP address JRemote tries to connect to when it gives you the error, you can try that using a browser on your PC to help to determine whether the issue is JRemote or your network.
Also, would you PM me your access key so I can see if anything looks off?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 11:25:15 pm »

Fair enough Jim. I meant that there were no other boxes such as Ethernet over power in the chain between the router and the Id, but only good equipment and good cables.

Brad, I am installing UltraVNC and I have a few questions. There are some configuration boxes to check. I have checked 2 of them, but I'm not sure about the other two. Please advise. One thing that might be relevant to the last box is that I have LogMeIn client installed on the same computer that I'm installing UltraVNC on. I don't know if it uses .vnc and I want to be sure I'm not going to confuse LogMeIn, which I use regularly. The link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nllpatfd0e5h7p/ULTRAVNP%20CONFIGURATION.png?dl=0 .

Bob, I tried connecting by both LAN and WAN IP addresses and both failed. Advanced IP Scanner finds it, but shows it as a dead device. The LAN port on the Id is flashing green, which I think means that it is communicating (or can communicate) in some way, but I am not a computer geek and don't know for sure what it means and if it is relevant. I will PM you.

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 06:15:52 am »

Go into your router and look at your DHCP leases.  Find the Id and see if it's using the reserved IP you made for it.  I suspect it is either not on the network at all, or has changed IPs for some reason.

You could also use an IP scanner to hit your entire network and see which devices seem to be which; possibly finding the Id in the process.

Good luck.

Brian.

BradATIMA

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 08:09:24 am »

Brad, I am installing UltraVNC and I have a few questions. There are some configuration boxes to check. I have checked 2 of them, but I'm not sure about the other two. Please advise. One thing that might be relevant to the last box is that I have LogMeIn client installed on the same computer that I'm installing UltraVNC on. I don't know if it uses .vnc and I want to be sure I'm not going to confuse LogMeIn, which I use regularly. The link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nllpatfd0e5h7p/ULTRAVNP%20CONFIGURATION.png?dl=0 .

For this case, you don't need to check the first box (or the second box). To connect to the Id remotely, you don't need to use UltraVNC Server. You'll be using UltraVNC Viewer instead, so you don't even need to install UltraVNC Server. As for the last checkbox, you shouldn't need to check that one either.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »

Brian, I checked the router and the lease for the Id is active. I decided to also run Fing and it couldn't find the Id, even though Advanced IP Scanner did find it (although dead).

Brad, I started over and only installed only the viewer. Please see https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nllpatfd0e5h7p/ULTRAVNP%20CONFIGURATION.png?dl=0 . What do I put in the top box, the IP address of the viewing computer? Do I check any other boxes?

BradATIMA

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 07:40:03 am »

Brad, I started over and only installed only the viewer. Please see https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nllpatfd0e5h7p/ULTRAVNP%20CONFIGURATION.png?dl=0 . What do I put in the top box, the IP address of the viewing computer? Do I check any other boxes?

The default options should be fine, so you shouldn't need to check any boxes. In the top field, just enter the internal IP address of the Id. You shouldn't need to include a port number. Then click connect. It should prompt you for the remote access password, which is "remote" and after that it should just connect.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 09:30:01 am »

Fair enough Jim. I meant that there were no other boxes such as Ethernet over power in the chain between the router and the Id, but only good equipment and good cables.

Bob, I tried connecting by both LAN and WAN IP addresses and both failed. Advanced IP Scanner finds it, but shows it as a dead device. The LAN port on the Id is flashing green, which I think means that it is communicating (or can communicate) in some way, but I am not a computer geek and don't know for sure what it means and if it is relevant. I will PM you.
Can you attach a monitor to it and reboot it? (just push the power button briefly and it should shut down within a minute or so, if not hold it down for about 10 seconds to do a hard power-off). I'd like to know what you see upon boot. (BTW your access key IP's look to be OK).

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 02:10:52 am »

Can you attach a monitor to it and reboot it? (just push the power button briefly and it should shut down within a minute or so, if not hold it down for about 10 seconds to do a hard power-off). I'd like to know what you see upon boot. (BTW your access key IP's look to be OK).

Bob, I can do this. Do you just want to see a picture of the screen when the Id stops scrolling? I can try taking a photo and putting a jpg in Dropbox for you to look at.

The default options should be fine, so you shouldn't need to check any boxes. In the top field, just enter the internal IP address of the Id. You shouldn't need to include a port number. Then click connect. It should prompt you for the remote access password, which is "remote" and after that it should just connect.
I did this, it tried to connect, but just gave error message: "Failed to connect to server!"

blgentry

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 05:59:29 am »

You seem to have a networking problem.  It might be a bad cable.  Or a bad port on the Id.  Or a bad cable *end*.  Seems like you keep a connection for a while and then it flakes out.  I could be wrong, but that's where I would start looking.

Brian.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 12:07:49 pm »

You seem to have a networking problem.  It might be a bad cable.  Or a bad port on the Id.  Or a bad cable *end*.  Seems like you keep a connection for a while and then it flakes out.  I could be wrong, but that's where I would start looking.

Brian.
I tested the cable with a $500 tester (Microtest Microscanner Pro) and jiggled both ends while testing. All 8 wires are good. I replaced it with a new cable anyway. Id stills shows up as dead in Advance IP Scanner and doesn't show at all on Fing.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 12:10:59 pm »

Bob, I can do this. Do you just want to see a picture of the screen when the Id stops scrolling? I can try taking a photo and putting a jpg in Dropbox for you to look at.

Yes please.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:35 pm »

Bob, I restarted the Id. I tried just the button press and waiting, but it didn't turn off after even 3-5 minutes. So I did the press-and-hold for 5 seconds, which did shut it down. I waited 10 seconds and restarted. Much to my surprise, there was no scrolling and I immediately saw JRiver MC. Then several seconds later the Id text menu appeared over it at the upper right. See https://www.dropbox.com/s/x115polqil5z1us/Id%20on%20Startup%208-25-17.JPG?dl=0 . Then I thought if MC is open, something must have changed on this reboot because I had rebooted it a couple of times before (without monitor attached) in the last week and still couldn't get it to talk to JRemote. So I opened Fing and there was the Id. So I opened JRemote and it immediately connected. I am very happy  :D :D :D to again be listening to my music on MC on the Id after having to run it through my laptop or a Sonos Connect since the Id shut down. I have no idea what happened on this reboot that made it start working again. Couldn't be the live HDMI connection, could it? Do any of you have any explanations or suggestions?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 08:56:46 am »

Bob, I restarted the Id. I tried just the button press and waiting, but it didn't turn off after even 3-5 minutes. So I did the press-and-hold for 5 seconds, which did shut it down. I waited 10 seconds and restarted. Much to my surprise, there was no scrolling and I immediately saw JRiver MC. Then several seconds later the Id text menu appeared over it at the upper right. See https://www.dropbox.com/s/x115polqil5z1us/Id%20on%20Startup%208-25-17.JPG?dl=0 . Then I thought if MC is open, something must have changed on this reboot because I had rebooted it a couple of times before (without monitor attached) in the last week and still couldn't get it to talk to JRemote. So I opened Fing and there was the Id. So I opened JRemote and it immediately connected. I am very happy  :D :D :D to again be listening to my music on MC on the Id after having to run it through my laptop or a Sonos Connect since the Id shut down. I have no idea what happened on this reboot that made it start working again. Couldn't be the live HDMI connection, could it? Do any of you have any explanations or suggestions?
Did you normally not have a monitor attached?
Perhaps it got booted into GUI mode somehow. In that mode it can't boot without a monitor attached.
You might want to make sure it's booted into headless text mode if you are using it without a monitor.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 06:15:52 pm »

Thanks Bob. I do not normally have a monitor attached. I recently did an update and reboot after Id again lost contact with JRemote and a few normal reboots using the power button didn't bring back the connection. I made sure to leave it in headless text mode. It hasn't lost contact since the update, which was about 2 weeks ago. But I have a new problem, which I will post in the JRemote section.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 09:35:51 pm »

There won't be a post in the JRemote section, as I think I've solved that problem with a JRiver setting in the Id.

But once again, JRemote won't connect to the Id. I changed nothing but the audio format and reset Id to Headless Text. But after pressing 2-Enter to set that, instead of going to a black screen, it ran through lines of text and stopped on one that said it was rebooting. 10 minutes later, it was still stuck on that line and never rebooted.

The Id Install Guide recommends rebooting manually with the power button if the Id isn't available in 5 minutes. So I did that, finally got the black screen and went to play some music. JRemote once again cannot connect to the Id. I restarted JRemote a few times, but I keep getting either the Timed Out error message and/or “Could not connect (An error occurred while sending the request).” It acknowledges that IP addresses haven’t changed.

See screen shot at https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvtkxn1ka2bqc7d/Screenshot%202017-11-28%2018.59.44.png?dl=0  Advanced IP Scanner again sees it as a "dead" device. I changed nothing in the wireless system, but I also tried restarting the router and the Id. Didn’t help.

I just reconnected an HDMI cable to make sure I hadn't accidentally put it in GUI mode and the screen is black. Does that confirm that I am in Headless Text mode? I don't know how to fix this problem.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 02:06:12 am »

It's possible that it's set to use a wired connection and hanging when it tries to connect to the network.  It should be set to one or the other, but not both.

With a keyboard and monitor attached, try pulling the power and restarting.  If you can't get anything, try connecting an Ethernet cable.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 03:59:40 am »

Thanks Jim. Id has always been on Ethernet wire. Where do I select between wired and wireless in the setup options? I will try your other suggestions tomorrow as it's already 2 a.m. here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 04:36:24 am »

There are two network items in the text menu. 

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 04:41:48 am »

Dang! When I went into my office to shut down my desktop and monitor, I saw the monitor was still connected to the ID (I now leave a 6M HDMI in the office just reach between the two), I couldn't resist trying the restart. I forgot to pull the power, but just used the power button. It worked! JRemote found it immediately and it is live in the IP Scanner. In fact, this is the first time I can remember that a single momentary power button press shut it down. I usually have to hold it 5 seconds. The screen came up with the numerical menu, rather than being plain black. Does this indicate that I am in Headless Text mode?  There is no bottom bar indicating that I can select JRiver. Do I have to hit 2-Enter before I disconnect the HDMI? I need to figure out how to keep the Id stable. Do I need to find some used small HDMI monitor to always keep connected to it? Seems like a nutty solution, but...

I just hit 11-Enter and it says Link encap: Ethernet. BTW, it took 3 attempts before the network info would stay on screen. The 1st 2 times, it flashed an disappeared.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 04:47:06 am »

I hit 13-Enter and it says "1   wired - default   vvv" on the top green line. It says "Connected to wired network (IP: 10.0.1.202)" This is the correct IP address.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:56 am »

You should see an IP address for the wired connection and no IP address for the wireless.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 01:24:26 pm »

Correct. There is no IP address listed for wireless networks, just the list of columns (STR, ESSID, ENCRYPT, BSSID,MODE & CHNL). But I do see something odd. My 2.4 & 5 GHz networks are listed twice, first at 100% strength and then a 2nd time at 60% and 38% strength. The 1st pair have identical BSSID numbers, except for the last digit. The 2nd pair have a different set of BSSID numbers, again differing only in the last number. I suspect the 1st pair are from the Airport Extreme a few inches away from the Id and the weaker pair are from the Airport Express 2 rooms away.

Gaining stability of the Id is doubly important for me because I have a 2nd one installed at a client's home and he is also experiencing some instability, but not nearly as bad as mine. I want to go back there soon to solve his problem, but I think I need to solve my problem first so I can hopefully apply the same solution(s) to both Ids.

I am currently running MC 20.0.141 on the Id. Would installing MC 21 or 22 possibly help with stability? I see that the instructions for MC 22 say that I shouldn't download it to the Id unless I need the extra features, such as compatibility with MC 22 on Windows. I am using MC 21 on my Windows laptop and unless there are some audio features or quality improvements in MC 22, I am inclined to leave both the laptop and Id where they are. Unless I could be experiencing some incompatibility between MC 21 on the laptop and MC 20 on the Id. If they need to match, then I might as well go for 22 on both. Please advise.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 02:55:44 pm »

Two network cards?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 03:12:49 pm »

The Airport Express is set up as just an AP extending the wireless network of the Airport Extreme. It is not acting as a router. Is this what you were asking about?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 01:07:31 pm »

Dang! When I went into my office to shut down my desktop and monitor, I saw the monitor was still connected to the ID (I now leave a 6M HDMI in the office just reach between the two), I couldn't resist trying the restart. I forgot to pull the power, but just used the power button. It worked! JRemote found it immediately and it is live in the IP Scanner. In fact, this is the first time I can remember that a single momentary power button press shut it down. I usually have to hold it 5 seconds. The screen came up with the numerical menu, rather than being plain black. Does this indicate that I am in Headless Text mode?  There is no bottom bar indicating that I can select JRiver. Do I have to hit 2-Enter before I disconnect the HDMI? I need to figure out how to keep the Id stable. Do I need to find some used small HDMI monitor to always keep connected to it? Seems like a nutty solution, but...

I just hit 11-Enter and it says Link encap: Ethernet. BTW, it took 3 attempts before the network info would stay on screen. The 1st 2 times, it flashed an disappeared.
The bios of the NUC won't let linux boot without a monitor attached when the linux is set to initialize the video card which it does by default.
So, the Headless text mode (2) is the only way the Id will run without a monitor attached. (and is the way the Id is shipped).
If you are going to switch to that mode from either the GUI or HDMI initialization modes, you need to do it with the monitor attached.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 10:17:00 pm »

So when the Id went unstable and I hit 12-Enter to update and reboot, I needed to do that with a monitor attached? Did selecting 12 take me out of mode 2, Headless text, and thereby require attaching the monitor? And if it goes unstable again, then I can't do any kind of reboot without first attaching a monitor?

Is the bios set by Intel or by JRiver? I ask this because it seems a little crazy to require the Id to be attached to a monitor to boot up when I suspect most people are using it as an audio server and, like I, could care less about video coming out of the HDMI port. Please enlighten me if my logic is faulty.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 09:35:35 am »

So when the Id went unstable and I hit 12-Enter to update and reboot, I needed to do that with a monitor attached? Did selecting 12 take me out of mode 2, Headless text, and thereby require attaching the monitor? And if it goes unstable again, then I can't do any kind of reboot without first attaching a monitor?

Is the bios set by Intel or by JRiver? I ask this because it seems a little crazy to require the Id to be attached to a monitor to boot up when I suspect most people are using it as an audio server and, like I, could care less about video coming out of the HDMI port. Please enlighten me if my logic is faulty.
Function 12 will not take the Id out of headless text mode.
It sounds to me like the Id was not in headless text mode.

The bios is supplied by intel. We change some of the bios settings to get it to work properly with the linux kernel the Id uses. We are also careful to use the best bios that's available when the Id ships, that's not always the newest one.

Can you PM me with the details of your Id (bios version, Model number)? Thanks!

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 06:22:24 pm »

I think you are right. I will be very careful in the future to make sure I see the full screen text menu before disconnecting the monitor.

Model number is on the bottom. How do I find the bios version?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 06:51:02 pm »

If I do a reboot, will it come up right away or will I have to wait and look for it in all the scrolling?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 01:06:08 pm »

If I do a reboot, will it come up right away or will I have to wait and look for it in all the scrolling?
You can get the bios version by hitting F2 when the  Id is starting up. It should be displaying F2, F10 ,etc when it starts up.
When you get into the bios utility with F2 you'll see the version in the upper left IIRC.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 04:39:00 pm »

As usual, the Id didn't reboot on 98-Enter. After 5 minutes I used the power button and I now have the info. I hope a new bios can fix this. It's been a long time since I sent a PM and I don't see a link for it. Please instruct.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 04:40:51 pm »

The screen gives me a choice to update the bios. Should I or do you want to know the version first?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 05:02:41 pm »

Figured it out and sent the PM.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 01:37:59 am »

As usual, the Id didn't reboot on 98-Enter. After 5 minutes I used the power button and I now have the info. I hope a new bios can fix this. It's been a long time since I sent a PM and I don't see a link for it. Please instruct.
If you're rebooting from Panel, you need to have authentication set on the server.  Login and password in Media Network settings.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2017, 02:36:25 am »

Jim, by Panel do you mean video display connected to the Id?

I see Authentication box, but cannot put a check mark in it. I have clicked on everything in the Options menu, including Advanced, but cannot find a place to enter login and password in the Media Network settings. Please give me more specific instructions.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up