INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to load the Id with files?  (Read 1879 times)

arquint

How to load the Id with files?
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:41:15 am »

Forgive such a basic question but I couldn't find it addressed on the forum.

I'm a big JRiver fan and purchased the Id with 2TB of internal storage for my son-in-law. I'd like to give him the Id, loaded with music, as a gift next week. Although I could move the files from my NAS to the Id, it seemed easier to load the Id from an external USB drive. I plugged a 2TB drive (with about 1.25 TB of music) into one of the USB ports on the front of the Id and the Id is now constituting a library. But how do I move then actual music files from the USB onto the Id's internal drive?

Thank you!

Andrew Quint

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to load the Id with files?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 08:05:04 am »

One method you can try is to use the Rename Move and Copy tool built in to Media Center. If you already have the files from the USB drive imported to the library on the Id, you can use this to move the files onto the Id's hard drive and update the database to point to the new location all at once.

I would suggest trying this out with a couple of files first, to make sure you get the results you're looking for. To do this, select a couple of files, then go to Tools -> Library Tools -> Rename, Move, & Copy Files (or just use F6). Select "Copy and update database to point to new location" from the drop down menu at the top, then check the directories checkbox. The default path is usually /home/media/Music which is fine, then click Ok. Then you can check to see if it moved the file(s) to the Id's hard drive and make sure it still plays. If everything looks good, you can repeat the process with the rest of the files. You may want to do it in batches instead of all at once. The Id will probably seem like it's frozen for a while as it copies the files.

arquint

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:35:38 pm »

Thank you - looks like this is going to work.

Question: How will I know the Id is done copying a batch of files from the external HD? Is it a lengthy process - i.e. would 3500 albums (= 63,000 files) require, say, 7 hours?

Andy

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:22:35 am »

While the Id is copying the files to the new location, the Media Center UI will seem to be frozen. When it starts responding, it should be done. Unfortunately, that's the only way to tell for now because the Id does not have a file browser API.

As for the length of time it will take, that's difficult to guess. Using the tool, I copied about 700 MB in less than 30 seconds (probably closer to 15 seconds), but that was moving files from one folder to another (both folders were on the Id's SSD). Copying from a USB drive to a hard drive will take more time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up