INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Properties Customization  (Read 2508 times)

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
Feature Request: Properties Customization
« on: July 01, 2003, 11:35:15 am »

Would it be possible, in one of the later builds, to give users the ability to move the various fields in the Properties window?

That way, instead of being constantly in alphabetical order, the user could arrange them in any way they wish.  I know I'd like to have the Artist at the top, then the name of the song, album, track, year, etc.

Is anyone else interested in this sort of modification to MC 9.1+ ?

nila

Re: Feature Request: Properties Customization
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2003, 12:06:59 pm »

DEFINITELY!!!
Along with the ability to drag properties out of the window all together to customise it.

I WANT I WANT!! :)

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 12:28:36 pm »

Hi,

I basically agree with tweener but I think it might also be the time for some cleaning up in the properties naming and grouping.
It would be nice to be able to group properties for  music, videos and photos separately. For example I don't find the group named display appropriate for photo tags such as people, place, events maybe it should be renamed Images or something.

For now the groups General, Extended, File Info, Calculated are named according to the field types not the field semantics. Therefore you can find here a mixture of photo, music, video and other fields.

Maybe a feature that would let the user freely name the groups and move the fields around would be great.
Or, live the 'General' 'File Info' and 'Calculated' as they are for MC defaults and add 'Music' 'Images' 'Videos' customizable groups for media and user specific fields.

Watt doo U sink ?

C.

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

221bBS

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 01:35:59 pm »

Would love to be able to create new groups also

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2003, 02:09:28 pm »

definitely agree to both groups and being able to rearrage the order
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2003, 03:03:54 pm »

AND ... widen out the "properties" window. The present height but full screen width would be ideal. Where it is now makes me claustrophobic.

CVIII

Update:
I found the "window mode" button and it helps but it's still not what I had in mind because the "properties" window dissappears when a track or tracks are selected. That CAN be dealt with but it's one more step for every grouping.

Also, a shortcut button (F3 maybe) to "repeat last command". Maybe there already is one. If so, please tell me.
That's right.
I'm cool.

nila

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 01:09:02 am »

Char - u can widen it as much as u want :)

Unfortunately this means that the rest of it gets smaller :)

But the properties toolbar definitely needs looking at drastically now, its just got way too much there and is very hard to navigate and use, especially when using images/video's/photos - all with custom fields etc.

It needs to be set up like the MS Office toolbars so we can drag items on and off it and customise it and the fields in it.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 01:48:38 am »

Check out the thread about why there was no build last night.  Im wondering if this XMLizing of toolbars will include the properties bar too...lets hope.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 02:38:19 pm »

Char - u can widen it as much as u want

Unfortunately this means that the rest of it gets smaller

Yeah, I knew that. But that was so unacceptable that I blanked it out of my mind.

Your reference to MS Office is familiar to me ... I have been thinking that WordPerfect has been doing what I want the properties window to do since at least Version 5 (Late 80's) with the "Reveal Codes" window ... VERY similar to a "properties" function.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 04:15:10 pm »

Trying to imagine whether the properties window has not become obsolete with the new tagging scheme?

Could we live without it? Since the new tagging system is on, I have not really used the properties window any longer?

What do you think?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 04:29:12 pm »

I still use the properties window as not all my view schemes display all the fields that I may want to edit.  WIth the props screen I can edit them whether they are showing or not...

Adam

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2003, 09:27:06 pm »

Hello,

I still use the properties pane for fields such as Caption (for picture), Comment, etc and in general for any field that requires more than one or two words.
I think the new tagging system is really designed for tags (1,2,3 words) shared among many files whereas a property might be specific for only one file (Caption, comment). Dealing with such properties as Lyrics or Caption with the new tagging system would be IMHO very difficult.

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

nila

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2003, 12:07:28 am »

I definitely still use the properties window and in fact think it has become all the more important because of the panes.

They make it viable to use MC to manage other media types finally with list types and now I need the properties pane alot more.

I prefer using it to change tags on non list types for data.

As MC has moved onto actually being able to properly handle all types of data though the properties window has been getting more and more fields (and rightly so) but to the extent where it had just originally been designed for audio fields and that number of fields - now it really needs re-working.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2003, 12:30:12 am »

I think the best solution would be if each tag could have a setting where we could choose which types it would be used for.  This would need to be there for all tags even the default ones as peoples preferences are going to be different.  Personally I don't use Artist or Album for Videos so I would want to be able to "uncheck" these for video.  Even better would be that we could also choose our own groups based on media type.  This way I could use Artist/Album for music videos as this could appear in a separate group under video.  This would go a long way towards making MC seem more like a full media manager, and not just an audio manager with other media tagged on as was thought by the CNET reviewer.

Adam

nila

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2003, 01:12:32 am »

We definitely need something,
the properties pane was designed for MJ as an audio manager and now we can customise the fields and create new ones, it's got out of hand - in a good way, but we need to be able to manage it better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up