INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Bit-Rate Multichannel problems with PCM but not with DSD  (Read 1840 times)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
High Bit-Rate Multichannel problems with PCM but not with DSD
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:45:12 am »

This is not new to MC23 as it existed in earlier versions and with prior host computers.  (FWIW, the present is an i7-7700K with 32G RAM and 2 SSDs connected by LAN to the files on my NAS.)

I can run DSD256 5channel files, have MC23 convert them to 176.4 PCM, convert from 5channels to 6channels, apply DiracLive VST plugin for roomEQ and output over USB to an exaSound DAC without issues.

However, if I try this with 352.8 FLAC 5channel files as above (convert them to 176.4 PCM, convert from 5channels to 6channels, apply DiracLive VST plugin for roomEQ and output over USB), I get interruptions for rebuffering every 20-60 seconds. 

It seems to be correlated with peaks in disk access but not network activity although I see similar peaks with DSD. This happens regardless of whether I buffer original files in memory, decoded files in memory or neither.  Other system monitors for CPU/memory/etc. are similar and unexceptional with DSD and PCM.  Lower bit rates are fine.

Any thoughts?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: High Bit-Rate Multichannel problems with PCM but not with DSD
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:49:06 am »

Please try a test of a file that is not on the NAS.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:17:54 pm »

I did that in the past to no avail but, at that time, I had not discerned that the issue was so specific or, perhaps, it was more general then.

However, it does seem to be the issue and I am in the process of re-configuring the network.

Thanks.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

RD James

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:39 am »

Configuring Memory Playback as "Load full file (not decoded) into memory" may solve this - but could introduce long pauses between track changes depending on the network.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:12:24 am »

Configuring Memory Playback as "Load full file (not decoded) into memory" may solve this - but could introduce long pauses between track changes depending on the network.
Thanks.  I have tried that but it did not help.  However, the new LAN wiring does.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 04:33:49 pm »

Kal - I just tried playing a DXD album - 352.8k - in Mch 5.0 converting to 176.4k and applying JR bass management for 5.1 and using Dirac Live VST plugin.  It was the Honek/Pittsburgh Beethoven Symphonies 5&7.  No problems at all through 5 minutes of playback with JR 23.  I do not use any form of memory play and I have not messed with anything special on buffer sizes.

Don't know if this helps, but I do not recall a problem when I played this album or other DXD albums in JR22 either.  My I7 PC is several years old now, and my RAM is 16Gig. My network to the NAS is garden variety gigabit Cat6 via a $20 switch.  And, of course, output is via USB2 into an ExasoundE28.

Hope you get it figured out, but I don't think it is JRiver unless you are doing something strange with audio settings.

Pages: [1]   Go Up