INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why don't I have a "group by" option?  (Read 1863 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Why don't I have a "group by" option?
« on: August 08, 2017, 03:08:49 pm »

I created some playlists at some point and they are nested inside playlist groups, I have not customised any views here at all so they are just all "file list" views. If I click the arrow on the tab header on a playlist group, I get a group by option. If I click the same arrow on a playlist, I have no group by option. There is a customise view option which appears to provide no options to customise anything.

Pics attached to illustrate.

All I want to do is group by album for a particular playlist, how do I do this?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Why don't I have a "group by" option?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:07:36 pm »

Within each Playlist, sort by Album then Track #, then click the "Update Order" button? With the option to Lock the list?

I can understand the desire to Group By in a View, but a Playlist is just a static list, so I would have thought that just sorting and saving the sort would be enough. Other than the pretty display.

As you can't Shuffle a Playlist Group, or Reorder it like you can a Playlist, I can see why Group By is a good option in Playlist Groups.

But maybe being able to treat a Playlist Group like one big Playlist, and be able to Shuffle, Reorder, and even Group By would be a nice thing. Let's see what the boss says.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »

I'm not sure why JRiver's developers decided to let you have group by on Playlist groups, but not on playlists themselves.  There's probably some historical or specific reason.

What I've done is to create a Playlists View under Audio.  It's a Panes view and it's first Pane has a type of "Playlist Group".  I use the root of all playlists, so I see every playlist here.  You could choose only a specific playlist group if you wanted to.

The reason to do this is, the Panes view has Group By.  So, you can set Group By, and every playlist you click on in the upper Pane will obey that Group By.  Maybe this will be of some use to you.

Brian.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:25:55 pm »

Thanks, creating a custom view under audio seems like the way forward for now.

It does seem rather arbitrary that the group lets you group by but the list doesn't, from a UI point of view they look almost identical & have mostly the same view options too.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:54:52 am »

Grouping is not allowed on ordered lists (like a playlist).

I think that seems reasonable, but let me know if I'm wrong.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:03:57 am »

Grouping is not allowed on ordered lists (like a playlist).

I think that seems reasonable, but let me know if I'm wrong.
I think it is rather an unnecessary distinction, it's just a different way to view the data
Pages: [1]   Go Up