INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error with Direct 3D  (Read 1857 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Error with Direct 3D
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:29:36 pm »

Whenever I go to use MC23 on my bedroom HTPC (Win7) when I turn on the TV (HTPC is always running) there is a blank screen with a message about "Error drawing Direct 3D" (or some similar wording). Then I need to get the keyboard out since the remote won't do anything on the blank screen. The keyboard then makes the bkank screen and message go away and the Theater View screen displays. Then all is normal.

Why am I getting the Direct 3D error message?

I checked to be sure I have the latest nVidia drivers. All is good there. I have computer se to never sleep and no screen saver.

It should just display the Theater View screen when I Turn on the TV and switch to HDMI1 input.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Error with Direct 3D
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:26:49 pm »

Run DxDiag.exe and see if it reports any problems. It is part of Windows.

You could have an HDMI handshake problem since your TV is off for most of the time. It needs to handshake each time it is turned on. If that is the issue, one of those HDMO doctor devices may be the fix.

There may be a hint in the Windows Event Viewer as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:43:00 pm »

I didn't know the Direct 3D error had anything to do with HDMI handshaking.
I do have an HDMI issue with the Samsung TV. The TV takes a couple of resyncs before the HDMI is clear. I think the HDMI board in the TV is going bad.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:35:41 pm »

I didn't know the Direct 3D error had anything to do with HDMI handshaking.

I think part of the handshaking is to check the resolution, colour space, format, and other stuff so that images are displayed correctly. The Direct3D error could certainly be caused by trying to display an unsupported format, for example. At least I think so. I'm not an expert in HDMI.

I would suspect firmware changes to the TV or driver changes to the PC before I suspected a board in the TV was going bad. Unless there is evidence of that being a problem with the TV model, or it is a very old TV. HDMI handshaking, coupled with DRM shenanigans, seems to be an ongoing problem, created by IP owners to frustrate their customers.  >:(
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:13 am »

Try openGL rendering in Theater View first before you spend too much time chasing a driver bug:
Options -> Theater View -> Advanced -> Use expiremental OpenGL Theater View

May not help, but it'll tell you if all 3D drawing breaks when the TV turns off, or whether it's related to Direct3D.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:35:54 am »

I have that "experimental OpenGL" turned on already. Is the OpenGL supposed to "replace" the Direct3D somehow?

I know the TV HDMI board is going bad because every time I turn on the TV for either HTPC (HDMI1) or FireTV (HDMI2) the picture is all out of sync. Colors wrong, shifted out of wack, sometimes the audio screeches, then TV will auto-sync a few times and everything is clear. It didn't used to do this - so it's something in the TV. If I just turn on TV to antenna input it works fine. This TV only updates its firmware by USB stick, and it has not been updated and there are no updates available. It's a 2010 or 11 Samsung LN40D630 model (series 6).

Thanks for the info.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:17:51 pm »

Windows would still be trying to initiate Direct3D when the TV is connected. Check if you still get the message when MC isn't running and you connect the TV.

Sometimes symptoms like those are caused by a bad cable or bent pin in the HDMI cable or connector. If you have another one to test, it may be worth trying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up