INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From MC19 to MC23  (Read 1707 times)

dummy

• Recent member
From MC19 to MC23
« on: August 14, 2017, 09:49:23 pm »

Got MC19 already, bought MC23 couple of months ago and forgot about it until tonight...

Downloaded MC23 and now I have both MC's on my desktop... I stopped the auto-import on MC23 as I am sure there is a way to keep all my settings from MC19. Just can't find the link that explains how to go from MC19 to MC23.

Do I have to merge both or delete MC19 and keep MC23?

I am sure its quite easy to do, just don't know how...

Thanks!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: From MC19 to MC23
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:25:17 pm »

Just run MC19 and do a manual backup, which will be your final MC19 backup. Note the location of the backup and file name. Note, you may (should) see a request to make changes when you run MC19 after installing MC23. Allow them. This is registering components of MC19.
Then run MC23. Again, you should see a request to make changes. Allow them.
Restore your MC19 backup into MC23. Allow settings to be restored.
Check everything in MC23.

There were a few settings not saved into the backup for a while, such as TV Channel stuff, but there shouldn't be too much missed. I think there were some changes in the library structure between MC19 and MC20, or maybe MC20 and MC21. Those can cause some issue during a backup restore. If there are things missed, and it is too much work to set them up again, you may need to step up through the versions, or at least install MC20, restore the MC19 backup to that, backup MC20, then restore then MC20 backup to MC23.

I have moved from MC18 through to MC23 one step at a time and haven't had significant issues. If everything does go wrong, you still have MC19 and a known good backup, so you can return to that and try again.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:57 am »

Downloaded MC23 and now I have both MC's on my desktop... I stopped the auto-import on MC23 as I am sure there is a way to keep all my settings from MC19.

Here's a short video I made showing how to upgrade from one major version of MC to another using the back up and restore method.

https://youtu.be/c4SwFPHb5c0

Spike

dummy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 02:12:39 am »

Thank you both guys. Especially Spike with the great video... Watched it and MC19 became MC23 minutes later! I knew there was an easy way somehow  ;D

Everything is working as before now. Perfect!

Do I get rid of MC19 now?

Thanks again!

p.s.: There should be (or is there already?) a YouTube channel with different "How To... MC" videos like the one you did Spike. I would watch that for sure and learn!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:24 am »

You can uninstall MC19 when you're happy with MC23.

Spike1000

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:40:24 am »

Do I get rid of MC19 now?

p.s.: There should be (or is there already?) a YouTube channel with different "How To... MC" videos like the one you did Spike. I would watch that for sure and learn!

I cover removing the 'old' version after an upgrade in a video soon to be released  :)

Glad you liked the video. I have some other goodies in the pipeline, but I will run out of knowledge at some point. . . Hopefully some other people will contribute and cover the way they run MC and the features that they use that I don't.

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up