INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resize artwork function in left column  (Read 4631 times)

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
  • These are not the Druids you are looking for.
Resize artwork function in left column
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:06:08 pm »

I used to be able to have an artwork preview window ("Image") made possible by clicking the song thumbnail in Tags. Is it still there? I haven't been able to find a way to create it since the Tag revamp. I liked using it to preview artwork sizes. There is a Display option, but it is only thumbnail size, and only shows what is currently playing.

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
Re: Resize artwork function in left column
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:06:00 am »

To clarify my question, the "Image" preview window that I refer to was at the bottom left corner of the program window. Clicking Tag in the Action options used to bring up the Tag window, where I could click on the image (which was at the top left of the tag window), and that would bring up the Image window.

I have brought the Tag window up to edit the Image file, as it is the only way to preview artwork in the most recent versions of MC23. Not as elegant, but there it is.

-- Tom

Windows PC (2023)
- Media Center Playback Host (DNLA), primary library source - Windows 11 Pro - Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700KF@3.60 GHz - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32 GB (16x2) RAM DDR4 3200 - EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3, 10 GB VRAM - WD_BLACK 4TB SN850X SSD - Mac Mini M1 (2020) - MSI GE Series GE66 Raider Laptop

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 06:43:48 am »

You probably have Playing Now open in another Tab or another Split.  That lower left window is a preview of playing now.  Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 07:50:13 am »

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:21:43 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the "Display" small artwork when I play a track. I was referring to was the feature from Tab artwork. Before, I could click on the small image in Tabs and it would bring up a resizable window that expanded if I dragged the column border. The new Tab features are great, but now when I click on the tab artwork, it brings up the Cover Art tools options. I just wanted the large artwork option for when I am not in Playing Now. The large artwork option also allowed me to click on any song in the list to preview the art. For example, if the art was too small for the box I would know it needed to be higher resolution (I am currently upgrading to a minimum of 800x800 to use in Theater or Display view).

I would really love to have the option back, but I can live without it (I don't really want to lol). Other than the loss of this feature, I am happy with Media Center 23. I have used MC since v.17 and it keeps getting better.

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)

~OHM~

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:16 pm »

it's there. it's a view, I just can't remember. someone will....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 04:13:32 pm »

You're describing the behavior of the original Tagging Window.  I didn't think that MC23 had switched to the Experimental Tag Window as the default, but maybe it has.  You can easily switch back and forth between the Original and the Experimental:

Hold down SHIFT while clicking on Tag (or clicking the Edit > Tag menu selection).  This will change you between the Original Tag Window and the Experimental Tag Window.  Once you've switched, your selection will "stick".  You will continue to use that version, until you do a SHIFT click again to switch to the other one.  You can do this any time you want.

I hope this gets you back the behavior you were after.

It occurs to me though, that if you are trying to audit your album art and make sure that you have art that's at least 800x800,  you're doing it the very slow way by clicking on each album.  Instead, you should make a view that lets you filter by cover art size.  I have a view specifically for this to show me albums that have no art and/or albums that have art under a certain size.  This view has other features as well, but those are the big ones.  It makes finding art that needs to be replaced very easy.

Good luck to you.

Brian.

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 04:42:45 pm »

Thanks, I tried shift/click (left or right mouse button) but it did not change in either the Edit>Tag, Tag option, or the Tag window. I suppose I'm not doing it right or there's a shortcut in Windows (?) interfering with it. I'm on the MC 23.0.36 version. I run Windows 10.

As for the search feature, I'll work on that. I never thought of editing that way but that's how versatile MC is. That's a nice feature.

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:07:17 pm »

To change tagging mode:

CLOSE the tagging window.
Highlight one or more files.
Hold down SHIFT and:  Edit > Tag

That should do it.

Brian.

~OHM~

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 05:27:32 pm »

I think .34 was switched to the new tag window...only...no way to switch anymore

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:22:28 pm »

I temporarily downgraded to 23.0.30 and the Shift/Click shortcut worked for getting the old tagging window back. So now I ask for a feature request: An option to bring up the Image window; a shortcut or menu option. Thanks!

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 03:34:08 pm »

I upgraded to 23.0.36. There's no Image window for the lower left, but I figured I shouldn't let that keep me from enjoying the new features. I have gotten used to the new Tag window. From one post I read, I found out how to do a Visible Fields section. It works nicely, I just need to tweak it some more.

Nothing new to ask here, just updating to let you know I upgraded but would still like to have the lower-left Image window at some later date. I'm not all about cover art; I enjoy MC because I can do a lot more with it than any other program I know related to it.

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)

~OHM~

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 08:29:04 pm »

tag window with artwork

display window with artwork

this is MC 23.0.36

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 12:31:50 am »

I suppose I'm explaining it badly. It's not the Tag image or the Display View image I'm referring to, but a feature brought up by clicking on the small thumbnail that was at the top left of the original Tag window layout. This shortcut is missing with the Tag layout as clicking on the small image brings up the Cover Art menu instead.

These are some examples of what I am referring to, from MC22, version 108.  -- Tom

Windows PC (2023)

marko

• MC Beta Team
Functions missing from the old tag window in the new tag window
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 06:55:47 am »

Maeghaus, for me, your explanation is crystal clear, and, you are the first person, apart from myself, that I'm aware of, that has brought this up...

and you're right. Missing this functionality from the old tag window in the new is seriously painful.
For all it's goodness, not having these in the new tag window is still a massive trade-off for me.
There are four, as far as I'm concerned...

First open the tag window...

Click on the small thumbnail to have the cover art open in its own independent window....

Then go back to the action window, and open the tag window again. This time, open the tag dump. Again, this opens in its own independent window...

Go back to the action window and open the tag window again, then open a "large edit" field (such as Lyrics, or Bios, or Description) for editing, and get the full pane to do your editing in...

And finally, "Playlists" is so much better in the full window rather than cramped into a teeny, tiny block in the main tag window.

I have mentioned these before, way back, in November/December of 2015, but received rather limited response to the feedback :)

I miss being able to 'break out' the cover art into its own window, and then have the tag window open too.
I miss the 'large edit' fields having a large edit window. I know that we can break out the large edit into a popout window, but that's cumbersome and I just don't like it.
I miss 'Also Show...' It gave a feeling of immediacy. If a desired tag isn't there, it's super quick to bring it into play.

I like being able to group tags however I please.
I like being able to skin it, but we need more control over things like the 'mouse over' indicator and it would be nice to be able to specify a background image too.
I like these:
custom(image)
custom(advanced)
custom(tagdump)
custom(playlists)
All from my own, selfish point of view, of course, but I honestly thought more might agree with me than just one :D

The next release will switch you back to the old tagging window, as there's still work to be done on the new one yet, but, someday soon, it will be deemed ready and then, well, be prepared to just get used to not having the above, I guess :)

-marko

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 07:27:30 am »

Thanks, marco (and ~OM~ from earlier posts). I know some liked the old Tag window, but actually I'm getting used to it. The only reason I would switch between them is to enable the Image window. I wonder: does switching back from the old to new remove the Image window or does it just stay there? I would not think so, but wanted to know.

In some views (like Playing Now), the Image window is redundant, but I can decide to keep it open or close it. I keep it open at the times when I am switching tree menus. Anyway, I wasn't aware of the other Wish List items in your post. I think the new Tag window does incorporate some of these now. I knew the new Tag was in Beta but I didn't know it's still being worked on.

MC has a lot of power in it, and I appreciate the efforts of the developers to utilize as many features as possible while designing an interface that won't get too cluttered or complicated.

-- Tom
Windows PC (2023)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 07:47:43 am »

I wonder: does switching back from the old to new remove the Image window or does it just stay there? I would not think so, but wanted to know.
It stays there. Though this won't last forever as when the 'old' is removed, as it is now, there will be no way to open the image window.

~OHM~

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 11:08:16 am »

I guess I'm missing something...what if you just detach display?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »

It's nothing to do with the display.
Open the old tag window.
Click on the thumbnail in the top left.
Go back to the action window.
Open a second tag window.

See what we're on about now?

~OHM~

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 02:53:24 pm »

It's nothing to do with the display.
Open the old tag window.
Click on the thumbnail in the top left.
Go back to the action window.
Open a second tag window.

See what we're on about now?
It's all fine...nothing happens it just opens the same tag window...lol...it's ok

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 03:13:36 pm »

Yup, and it also leaves the "Image" window open.

Maeghaus

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 05:26:39 pm »

Ah OK I see the new update v.41. Thanks all!
Windows PC (2023)
Pages: [1]   Go Up