INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback just skips  (Read 1901 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
Playback just skips
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:15:08 am »

I was listening to a little Bowie this morning while moving some other files around. "Golden Years" came on, the file sounded sped up and was skipping around and then just cut to the next track.

I stopped playback and re-played "Golden Years". Same issue. So I exit JRiver and restart the program. Play the same file, same issue. So I locate the file and play it back through Windows Media Player, it plays fine. I play it back through VLC, it plays fine.

So I figure JRiver is reading the bad version from RAM, so I shut down the entire computer to clear the RAM, power it back up, open JRiver, same file and it's still skipping and then cutting to the next track.

Any way to reset the cache or wherever JRiver is reading this file from so it plays the track properly? The track is a CD ripped to .flac, nothing special.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback just skips
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:37:32 pm »

Possible problem with the audio settings and whatever device you're playing to?

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:05:40 pm »

Possible problem with the audio settings and whatever device you're playing to?
I don't think so, it plays everything else fine. I'm running JRiver on my PC with a USB DAC. This album is the only album that's done this so far, I've been listening all day. But no matter how many times I restart, update drivers, etc, it's still skipping and playing this album poorly. Again, the files work just fine in all other media players.

Now I'm sure removing from JRiver and reimporting would fix it, but before I do that, I wanted to see if there was a way to get it to work properly again so that if the error comes up in the future on any other files, I'll know what to do, instead of just deleting and reimporting the album again (if it should ever happen again).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:20:00 pm »

Try setting audio to DirectSound

If it's just one album, the FLAC may not be ordinary FLAC.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:07:35 am »

Try looking at the bad file and a known good file next to each other using Media Info. Maybe you will spot some difference that is causing the problem, which it seems MC can't handle, but the other players can.

It could be as simple as a bad RIP.

Unless you are playing on a Client, and have Audio conversions turned on. In which case it would be the cached converted file that is bad. Clearing the cache would fix that. If you are playing the FLAC file directly, there is no cached file.

If you do have to delete the files from MC and reimport, remove the record of the deletion from the "Removed Database" after deletion and before reimporting. That way none of the data from the original import will be used. You can easily create a Smartlist showing what is in the Removed Database by showing all Media Types in the Smartlist, and Limiting the database to "Removed".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:19:39 am »

Try setting audio to DirectSound

I've been using DirectSound, as with any other setting I get a pop/click between shuffled tracks when resolution changes from 44.1 to 96 or 96 to 44.1 between two shuffled tracks. DirectSound seems to be the only option that doesn't do this.

I ended up just removing and reimporting the files, works fine now. I still don't understand how/why playback got messed up on just those tracks, and more importantly why it persisted through restarts and updates, but whatever, they're playing fine again now. :) I was just trying to understand the issue before fixing it.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:21:58 am »

If you do have to delete the files from MC and reimport, remove the record of the deletion from the "Removed Database" after deletion and before reimporting. That way none of the data from the original import will be used. You can easily create a Smartlist showing what is in the Removed Database by showing all Media Types in the Smartlist, and Limiting the database to "Removed".

Thanks, did this and the files are playing fine again now. I assumed that would fix it, I was just trying to understand the problem before doing this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up