INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some obscure JRiver MC features are even more helpful than the famous ones  (Read 1722 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount

Background:

The JRiver MC fans over at Schiit Audio make their DACs modular so that when they make a new version, DIY-proficient users can get the new sub-board and swap it, rather than having to buy an entire new DAC (or you can ship your DAC to them and they will do the swap for a nominal fee).

Over the years, there have been four such improvements, the third one being a major improvement.  A few days ago, they made a fourth improvement available, a new USB sub-board.

However, this time, the new USB board is simply not recognized in Windows Vista.  And Schiit Audio, like everyone else, has stopped supporting Vista.  I've never upgraded my Home Theater PC over its eight year trouble-free lifespan, mostly because I have many special tweaks installed (such as a Scheduled Task to play classical music in the morning, as selected by a glynor-created Smartlist).

But since the new USB sub-board is getting very good reviews in the audio community, I finally allocated the time to upgrade the HT PC to Windows 7 (sorry no 8 or 10 for me, I'd rather go the Linux route once MC-Linux is totally equal to MC-Windows).

So, a little research on this Forum showed that the MC automatic library backups include all the settings as well.  And sure enough, when I installed MC on the new Windows 7 partition, restoring the library backup indeed restored all of my carefully chosen MC settings.  And the "adding required components" system reinstalled all of Hendrik's excellent filters and the madVR renderer automatically.

This worked quickly and easily - much more so than many other programs I had to reinstall on Windows 7.

So, the complete library and settings backup has become one of my favorite JRiver MC features.

Hendrik

• Administrator

I'm not sure I would classify our library and settings export as that obscure of a feature, but its always nice if it helps someone nevertheless! :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount

In this context, by "obscure" I mean "does not appear in marketing literature and people are not convinced to buy the product due to these mundane sounding features".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

It's nice to hear.  Thanks.

blgentry

The library backup and restore feature, coupled with the Rename, Move, and Copy files function make MC enormously mature compared to just about everything else in this market space.

MC is much more like an enterprise grade software application in this sense.  By "enterprise grade" I mean something like Oracle database server or something similar.  Something that has to work and has to be made to work as you move from one computer to another, or one environment to another.

I absolutely love that.  I can count on backup and restore to work.  I know that I can move files from drive to drive and RM&C will let me tell MC where they are so it all "just works" again.  I can move MC from computer to computer and not worry or wonder.  It just works.  I even use this feature to make a clone of one of my Libraries on MC for Mac and copy it over to MC for Linux running on a Raspberry Pi.  I have to use RM&C to link things up correctly, but it's easy.  It just works.

The expression language is another mildly unsung hero of the MC world.  I'm a big fan of that too.

Thanks MC developers!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up