INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Ripped DVDs  (Read 2962 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Import Ripped DVDs
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:13:54 pm »

I have 2 instances of MC running, MC22 for Linux on my QNAP and MC22 for Windows on a Win10 Laptop.

I use the QNAP for all media streaming and storage, and the windows install is mainly used for ripping CD’s and DVD’s. These go straight to a mapped drive on the QNAP. This may not be the most elegant setup but it works well so I use it.

I have found an issue where I can’t seem to  import a file into the Linux/QNAP MC library that was ripped using Win MC. As mentioned I rip the DVD straight to the QNAP, the file is there and I know the rip has worked as I can play the file using the Windows MC from the mapped QNAP drive.

However, when I try and import the file into the MC Linux library on the QNAP (from its local file system) it does not see it. It sees all MP4s, AVIs etc, and imports them fine, but it will not import the ripped DVD. It definitely sees the file structure as I can browse using the import tool down to the file level, but it will not import the video.

So I don’t know if this is some inherent compatibility between windows and Linux, or whether I need to install/configure a plugin/file extension….?

Thanks in advance

Scobie.

blgentry

Re: Import Ripped DVDs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 06:53:44 am »

If you are ripping ISOs or DVD structures (VOBs and/or IFOs), then you won't be able to play those back on any MC platform except windows.  Because you're ripping encrypted DVDs and keeping the encryption.  To play it back, MC needs a library that can decrypt those DVD files/structures.  This library is not available on the other platforms.

A much more portable way to rip DVDs is to rip them to lossless decrypted MKV files using a tool like MakeMKV.  MakeMKV can work on real optical discs, or ISOs.  I think it will even read a DVD folder structure and rip that to a decrypted MKV.  MakeMKV is free "during the beta period", which has been going on for several years now.  I'm a big fan of this tool.

Good luck.

Brian.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 06:19:35 pm »

Excellent thank you Brian, I knew there must have been a valid Windows Only explanation.

Also appreciate the MakeMKV tip, will follow that up.

Scobie

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 04:42:35 am »

MakeMKV is free "during the beta period", which has been going on for several years now.  I'm a big fan of this tool.

So are many of us ... works for Blurays as well.

As long as you don't mind that you get a bunch of individual files that then require curating to give appropriate filenames, then MakeMKV kicks. One of the reasons that I like it is because I get rid of all the bumpf that you get with discs. I use it to get straight to the show... sweet!
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up