INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimal Volume mode for AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2?  (Read 3006 times)

ViperGeek

Optimal Volume mode for AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2?
« on: August 17, 2017, 11:03:34 am »

I was directed to a rather old thread ( https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,94740.0.html ) from the wiki, but figured I'd start a new topic in the v23 forum instead.

I've been using a Grace Design m9XX and m920 with Media Center for Windows for quite a while.  Each DAC/amp has physical external volume controls, so I've had MC's Volume mode set to "Disabled" for several major versions.  Today (long story), I blew the dust off my old AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2 and decided to use it with MC 23 for the first time.  As soon as I started playing my first track ... at 100% volume ... I realized I probably had a setting wrong.  This started my discovery into the "new" volume settings we now have.

In the old days (MC20? MC 21?  MC 22?), I vaguely recall within the Audio -> Audio Device -> Device settings... we had an option to pick which volume control device to use for a given Audio Device.  I'd usually pick the AudioQuest DragonFly to control the ... AudioQuest DragonFly [WASAPI] volume.  However, in MC 23, the settings are a little different.  They are now a global option under Audio with the following options:

* Application Volume
* Internal Volume
* System Volume
* Disabled Volume

My question, finally, is: given the unique hardware-via-software volume control capabilities of the DragonFly v1.2, which setting is the best?  I tried Internal Volume, which has gotten high marks in the wiki, but this seems to work "in-line" with the Windows volume control, creating two serial attenuators for the audio.  IOW, 50% + 50% = 25% volume.  Should I nail up the Windows volume to 100% and use the Internal Volume exclusively?  This works, of course, but if I happen to fire up TIDAL, I'd darn well better remember to lower the volume before I blow out my ears. :)

Any comments and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.  Thanks!

- Dave

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Optimal Volume mode for AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:37:49 am »

did you check for audio devices under playback options? I know your post says you did but I see the options you say aren't there...or I'm misunderstanding your post.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ViperGeek

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:28:56 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, indirectly.  When I right-click and select Playback Options, I'm presented with the same Audio -> Audio Device screen:

I vaguely recall that under Device settings, there used to be a drop-down for which volume control to use:

but the design of MC23 is slightly different, so I'm not sure which value for Volume mode I should pick:

- Dave

~OHM~

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:50:33 pm »

if your 2nd photo is from device settings...these change by device used. as far as volume mode I think most use internal that way your not getting noise from the chain (such as MC then pc then soundcard then dac/receiver) I'm pretty sure internal is MC to dac/receiver...Mine is set to internal and I'm sure there's a reason....lol
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

ViperGeek

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:11:22 pm »

if your 2nd photo is from device settings...these change by device used. as far as volume mode I think most use internal that way your not getting noise from the chain (such as MC then pc then soundcard then dac/receiver) I'm pretty sure internal is MC to dac/receiver...Mine is set to internal and I'm sure there's a reason....lol

DARN IT!  You're right!  All this time, I've been implicating the version of MC, when in fact it varies based on the device.  I wonder if it's because I'm using a WASAPI driver for the DragonFly, and an ASIO driver for the Grace (technically XMOS) DAC?

Thank you for the enlightenment, OM!

- Dave

ViperGeek

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:43:42 pm »

I vaguely recall that under Device settings, there used to be a drop-down for which volume control to use:

FWIW, I've found a reasonable solution to avoid the "multiple attenuators" problem.  By selecting "Maximize device volume during playback", I can comfortably use the Internal Volume in MC23 as the master volume control.  When I exit MC, the application kindly returns my device to its original Windows Mixer volume, thereby avoiding eardrum blowout when I bring up TIDAL or YouTube.

- Dave

~OHM~

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 05:49:18 pm »

glad you got it working the way u need it to....
Pages: [1]   Go Up