INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware question  (Read 1229 times)

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Hardware question
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:39:11 pm »

Hi all

My main set up is a NUC6i3 and tv fed by an HDhomerun DVB-T2 ip server. I also share the library to a desktop i3 based machine. Audio and video stored on a Synology nas and all connected via gigabit ethernet.

My question is either hardware or network. I can happily play a blu ray rip on the NUC and another blu ray rip on the desktop using the NUC as the "master" at the same time. The rips are held on the Synology NAS. But if I play tv on the NUC, anything I do on the client desktop such as a photo slideshow causes momentary break up of the tv on the NUC.

So is the tv break up because the Nuc is running out of processing power, or is it network spikes? If as I suspect its the lack of power on the NUC, then will an i5 or i7 NUC have the same issues? I want to get another for my lounge but I dont want me fiddling with photos or something on one Nuc causing tv issues downstairs!

Interestingly, if I reverse the process, play tv on the desktop and run a slideshow on the NUC, the tv playback is fine, hence my thoughts that the NUC is being overwhelmed. Another experiment, I played blu ray rips (full rate) on the Nuc, the desktop and a streaming box simultaneously and they all played fine so I think my network is fine.

The other option Ive considered is just having seperate libraries on two Nucs, but then I couldn't share tv recordings very easily so that's not ideal. It would however stop the tv breakup issues caused by using one as a server and the other as a client, I believe.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up