INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB - El Stinko!  (Read 3294 times)

bthall

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
YADB - El Stinko!
« on: June 26, 2003, 11:01:21 am »

I bought, and tried to rip w/ MC9, FOUR!!! new CD's today. Not a SINGLE ONE was on YADB!

Are there ANY MC9 integrated databases to download track titles with out there?

BarryT

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: YADB - El Stinko!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 12:09:20 pm »

Maybe it is because they are new, and you or another user did not enter the text and submit it yet
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bthall

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 12:30:00 pm »

You're right, it might be that no one's entered them. BUT it's kind of a shame that the Windows Media Player's database had ALL FOUR of them already.

AND, even more importantly, that MC9 user's can't readily access this more complete database (whichever one it is...)

BarryT

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 12:43:57 pm »

I think I heard that YADB is the exclusive property of J River for MC, but maybe they can beg/borrow/steal from CDDB or another to complete theirs up to current day.
pretend this is something funny

NoCodeUK

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 12:50:23 pm »

I believe WMP gets its data from AMG.  This costs thousands a year in licensing fees.  This would increase the price of MC.  MS can aford to subsidise this.  J River can't.  If it was in WM<P 9 export to the cd player.ini file and MC should pick upn the details.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 01:04:56 pm »

This all boils down to getting all the users educated to ensure that they submit their no-YADB-info rips to YADB after tagging (CORRECTLY!!!!) the files.  I bet (given all the MC users out there) if everyone used the submit to YADB option there would only be a few (if any) mainstream albums that YADB wouldn't have.

Wobbley

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 01:18:35 pm »

Aye, I responded to your post on iPodlounge.com's forums with an explain-er-ation.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

TimB

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 02:17:54 pm »

I recently ripped a bunch of really obscure stuff and came up with a 90% hit rate.

YADB ROCKS!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

bthall

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 02:29:44 pm »

Show-off! :P

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 04:03:29 pm »

I recently ripped a bunch of really obscure stuff and came up with a 90% hit rate.

YADB ROCKS!

-=Tim=-

I did too I put every CD i Have (about 2000) in there and i did have to submit about 100 of them but it was about 95%
Fayetteville, NC, USA

modelmaker

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 07:09:41 pm »

I agree with bthall, YADB is the reason I keep MMJB on my computer! I get a 90% rate with CDDB including cover art. With YADB it's more like 25% for info and when trying to find cover art, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Can't you work out a deal with CDDB so it can be offered as an option for an additional fee?

I also use ez-cd extractor by Poikosoft, they use a service called freedb which while not as effective as CDDB is far more successful than YADB.

Have you looked into Musicbrainz? You should. It's over my head, but for you coders and programers Musicbrainz should be right up your memory-byte.

Otherwise MC9 ROCKS!
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

sangs

• Recent member
  • Just happy to be here...
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 02:44:59 am »

I'm sure CDDB had issues during its infancy as well. It took time for it to become what it has become. With our participation and by submitting as much of our databases as possible, YADB will become similar.

Just think of it as being in on the ground floor. We're helping to make it better for future generations. Our children, our grandchildren, think how appreciative they'll be. OK, gross overexaggeration, but still.  ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 04:28:37 am »

since MC9\YADB started with the FreeDB database it had a jump start.

what needs to happen is it needs to be packaged up for other programers to use on there products. this will allow more clients out there for more submits to the database.

if J river would create a few ocx or dlls for this use then you will see a better database.

they could use sort of the same marketing as CDDB and provide the serves as free (or almost free) maybe at first then pay (at a lower fee than CDDB) later.

Developers who do not charge for there client can use the CDDB dll's for free. others need to pay $60,000 way too much.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele10

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2003, 02:28:50 pm »

-=-=-=-
Here is the problem. I can say the same thing than you.
And i speak about more than one thousand cds.

Means that the mainstream cds are maybe not in the YADB data.
I use a riper who works with  FreeDB and got 90% of cd infos.
The other 9% from RealOne
Both put cd infos in 'cdplayer.ini'.
Like it you can upload infos to YADB .

FreeDB  [ the root of YADB]  was /is feed mainly by people in Europe.
The obscure stuff in US is not so obscure in Europe.

And ,because of it ,i'am sure that the Jazz data in YADB is very good.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2003, 09:35:44 am »

How do you get track info from other datbases into media centre? I read about cd.ini but dont know how to import from it into MC.
?

zevele10

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2003, 10:19:52 am »

Any player ,or ripper like EAC and others using FeeDb puts cd infos in 'cdplayer.ini' folder
MusicMatch and RealOne also put cd infos in this folder.

WinAmp3 and WMP do do put cd infos in the 'cdplayer.ini' folder.

Now ,a player must go to the 'cdplayer.ini' folder as well to get cdinfos ,not only online.

MusicMatch does not. Like it you have to feed they database.
But there is NO raison to use MusicMatch to get cdinfos ,results are not that good.

MC does look at the folder 'cdplayer.ini' BUT ONLY IF YOU NEVER PLAYED THE CD IN MC.

If you did and did not get cdinfos from YADB , all the next times you will put the cd in MC ,you will not get the cdinfos from 'cdplayer.ini' but still the 'unknow -by unknow ,or ,if MC fells psy this day ,the cdinfos of a cd you played 200 years ago.

In the tree on the left ,in Audio--- CD & DVD ,you have to delete under  Genre ,Volume Name all the' Unassigned ' entries

After that ,MC would get infos from 'cdplayer.ini'

I do not want to be rude ,but this is just a fantastic bad fonction who looks like a bug.
I did upload TONS of cdinfos in YADB ,but i'am really fed up with all this mess and the never ending 'updating volume'

Now ,i just set  MC not to play cds and not to go online to get cdinfos.

I put one after one all the cds i want to rip or the new cds i want to listen to in RealOne and/or PowerAmp .
I got around 98,99% results.

After that i use MC with 'not going online to get cdinfos' still check of cause.

Sorry ,but this is a real pain in .. to use MC for playing cds

Jynx

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2003, 03:10:20 am »

OK so YADB is not as good as other CDDBs out there, but that's because it's not as well used yet.  Now I'm not an MC expert but it seems to me that MC has the ability to submit data back to YADB in order to build up the database.  So for everyone who is moaning about YADB why not get the data from another CDDB source, as so many of you seem to do anyway, then from MC submit all your data back to YADB.  If we all do this YADB would be as good as any other CDDB and we'll all be happy.

Jynx
Pages: [1]   Go Up