INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adding a keyword rule when that keyword doesn't exist in the playlist yet  (Read 1420 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen

I am building a few new smartlists and I have a keyword for "Don't Shuffle". I apply it to guilty pleasure albums and just weird titles that I don't want showing up in shuffles.

But the new smartlist I'm building won't let me select the "Don't Shuffle" keyword in the Rules because none of the tracks currently in that list (based on the other Rules) include it. But some might in the future so I want to plan ahead. How do I add that particular keyword to a new Rule when it doesn't show up in my list of checkmark options? (it would be listed as "8 - Don't Shuffle" if it were there)

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe

Create a "Guilty Pleasure" genre. Albums can have multiple genres, so this won't interfere with anything you are currently using. Then add a rule to your smartlist excluding the the "Guilty Pleasure" genre.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen

Create a "Guilty Pleasure" genre. Albums can have multiple genres, so this won't interfere with anything you are currently using. Then add a rule to your smartlist excluding the the "Guilty Pleasure" genre.
Right, that'd make sense if I was starting from scratch, but I already have albums tagged with the keyword "8 - Don't Shuffle" (there just aren't any from the 70s rock era rated 4-5 stars), so I'd have to do a bit of retagging, also my genre view would then be messy. I see a "stock rule" button, so I'll  probably try creating a stock rule that includes it and then applying that to the lists that don't have any Don't Shuffle albums already in there. In theory that should work.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

If you have any audio files with the Keyword "8 - Don't Shuffle", and you put the Keyword rule immediately after the [Media Type] rule, does the "8 - Don't Shuffle" option now show?

Would that rule sequence break anything for you?

Also, it is not clear to me if you don't want anything from Albums marked "8 - Don't Shuffle" to be shuffled, or you just don't want the Tracks within the Album to be shuffled. If the latter, have you had a look at the File/Track Linking functionality? Mentioned here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools#Track_Linking_Tools
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AlanDistro

• World Citizen

If you have any audio files with the Keyword "8 - Don't Shuffle", and you put the Keyword rule immediately after the [Media Type] rule, does the "8 - Don't Shuffle" option now show?

Would that rule sequence break anything for you?

That would've worked! But I ended up being smarter about it and just added the "8 - Don't Shuffle" rule to the master smartlist that *all* other smartlists pull data from (the "!!! All of Alan's Music without Duplicates" list). That pool simply weeds out any title marked with the Duplicate keyword (for different masterings of albums where I tag all but my preferred master as Duplicates). Adding the Don't Shuffle rule there then trickled down to all other smartlists since that's where they're all pulling tracks from anyway. I should have thought of that initially.

blgentry

If you or anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation in the future, where you are fighting with one MC field or a limitation of a field, remember this:  MC lets you define as many fields, of any type, as you would like. 

In this case, you could have defined a new field of type integer, with an edit type of checkbox called "dont shuffle".  Then, you could put a check in the box next to songs that should not be shuffled.  Finally, write your smartlist rule as something like "[dont shuffle] is 0".

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up