INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit of a pickle -- NEED to change user  (Read 1522 times)

David353

• Recent member
Bit of a pickle -- NEED to change user
« on: August 26, 2017, 05:31:58 pm »

Likely for experienced / highly computer literate users only.

There's a serious bug in Windows 10 for which the only workaround currently is to make a new user and use only that new user.  For example,   my user name is David and I need to create a David2 and use that and only that.

Sounds simple?  Well,  I need to keep my entire JRiver library in shape.  I want to keep all playlists  (100s of them), all tags and so on.  I have well over 1000 media files.

I had a concern about the Cover Art, which led to a question I made earlier today.  I'm going to drop that concern.  I can fix cover art manually.   I want to create a new user and ....

The underlying problem is that I have

1. a set of audio files stored at: */David/*  and a   
2. JRiver library used by David, in which all files pointed to are at */David/*

What I need is:

1. a set of audio files stored at: */David2/*  and a   
2. JRiver library used by David2, in which all files pointed to are at */David2/*

Moving the audio files themselves is no problem:  all my audio is in one folder,  .../David/Music .... and I just copy it all to ../David2/Music

It's the library file I'm worried about.

I seem to be able to export a library to a .xml.   I could, as David,  export library to .xml.  This .xml file I could potentially edit to search/replace all references to /David/Music..  to /David2/Music.

Ideally, I start with an empty library as user David2, and just import this .xml file as a library ..... but is there an option for that?  I haven't found it on the GUI....

Can I take this path and where on the GUI do I import the .xml file?  (Maybe it simply recognizes file type on restore?)

Thanks a lot.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bit of a pickle -- NEED to change user
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 05:40:03 pm »

File > Library > Back up / Restore Library
Back it up on "David" and restore it on "David2"

If you use auto-import, it will probably fix the file location automatically.
If not, you can use the rename, move, and copy tool (F6) in "update database" mode to find & replace "David" with "David2".

Cover art not embedded in files is stored in %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 23\Cover Art\

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 06:55:41 pm »

Thanks.

Just to be clear:

>> Back it up on "David" and restore it on "David2"

During the restore it would find that files are missing and report errors?

But then executing Auto-import after this should repair the missing files problems?  Is this correct?

Thanks.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 07:01:43 pm »

That's correct.
And as long as you keep that backup, you can always restore it if something doesn't work as you expect.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 07:05:05 pm »

When you restore your library backup, MC will be "pointing" to */David/* .  If those files are there, everything will be fine.  Except that you probably want to erase those files, or you simply don't want to use any files in the David home directory.

I would NOT rely upon auto import to fix this for you.  It might work, it might not.  You can be guaranteed that it will work, if you use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool.  Your job here is to tell MC, "Hey, I moved the David files to David2".  You'll want to use the UPDATE mode of RM&C, which tells MC to just update it's database pointers to point to a new directory location.  To do this, you'll use the bottom part of the tool called Find & Replace.  This lets you "find" part of the directory path and substitute it with another path.  David to David2 should be quite easy.

Here's a page in the Wiki that describes how to use RM&C in this manner.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_and_Replace_Template#Moving_Files_to_a_Dedicated_Media_Drive

Make sure to use the Preview window in RM&C to see what's going to happen *before* you press OK!  This is a great feature of RM&C that will help you see mistakes before they happen and fix them.

Do a file or two as a test.  Undo if it doesn't work.  Then do an album or two.  When you're confident, do the whole thing.

Good luck!

Brian.

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 07:19:47 pm »

Thanks a lot!

>> Except that you probably want to erase those files, or you simply don't want to use any files in the David home directory.

Definitely!  I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks for your foresight. I would have been in a false sense of success.

It looks like you covered a lot of bases in JRiver!

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:47:22 am »

OK.  I've RTFM'd a bit more and I think I have found something simpler and which I am more comfortable with.

What about the following approach?  It seems simpler and potentially more robust to me:

1. Back the library up as user "David",  sign in as user David2 and restore it.

JRiver should work properly.  The library will be pointing into */David/Music/*

2.  Use the built-in JRiver MC explorer (under tree, Files and Devices/Explorer) to drag-and-drop move the files from */David/Music/* to */David2/Music/*.  .  JRiver MC explorer will move the files, and in the process update the library to recognize the new file locations.

Right?  Simple, robust,  familiar explorer-type graphic user interface, no thinking on my part?

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 08:39:16 am »

I have no experience with the explorer view in MC because I use MC on a Mac most of the time (with some Linux mixed in), and have only used the Windows version a tiny little bit.

In general I don't like drag and drop because it's error prone.  If you are very comfortable with it then it may be a good method for you.  I'm not 100% sure how MC handles drag and drop moves from it's "Devices" explorer view.  If it updates the database, that would work.  I'm just not sure if it updates the database or not.

RM&C is easier to use than it might first appear.  It's a very solid tool that is a great part of MC. 

Brian.

David353

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 09:18:27 am »

Thanks Brian.

The JRiver Wiki is explicit that it updates the library to reflect the changes made in Drag and Drop in MCs explorer.

But I will of course try it on only one file first...
Pages: [1]   Go Up