INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD filter DSD64 vs DSD128  (Read 1989 times)

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
DSD filter DSD64 vs DSD128
« on: September 02, 2017, 03:46:08 am »

It seems (unless I missed something) that there is no possibility to set a different filter for DSD128 than DSD64. Once set, they both use the same low pass filter. You have to manually change it each time you switch from DSD64 to DSD128 and vv

It seems like a simple change to have MC offer different low pass filter settings for both...

-rovo

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD filter DSD64 vs DSD128
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 06:42:52 am »

While I don't think you'll gain any sonic performance from doing this, you can do it.

Set up a zone for each DSD type, then a Zone Switch Rule to switch between them based on their sample rate.  Look up Zone Switch in the Wiki and play with it.  It's pretty easy to set up.

Good luck.

Brian.

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 08:25:51 am »

Thanks. I had not played with zones before but this turned out to be fairly easy. Works like a charm.

-rovo

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:48:48 am »

The low pass filter only comes into play if you are converting DSD to PCM. If you are bitstreaming DSD there is no filter involved.

What filters are you using? The default filter is very conservative and the other two options do not adequately filter out high frequency noise.  I set a filter at 60 KHz with a 48dB/octave slope and use it for both DSD64 and DSD128.  If you look at the frequency spectrum it seems like that is fine for either sample rate. The original Sony standard was 50 KHz at 48dB/octave.

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 09:00:05 am »

D'oh! I'm an idiot. You're absolutely right of course.
Yeah I don't do DSD to PCM conversions. Well, at least I learned how to use rule based zones.

-rovo
Pages: [1]   Go Up