INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible issue when restoring library across versions.  (Read 1729 times)

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
Possible issue when restoring library across versions.
« on: September 02, 2017, 06:47:05 am »

Is it possible that when you  restore a library that was backed up under an earlier version of MC that the default location for library backups stays set to the location it was when you made the backup? i.e. if I am running MC23 but do a restore from a library in JRiver/Library Backups/Media Center 22 then subsequent backups of MC23 will still go to the Media Center 22 folder?

I ask because I've just done a Windows refresh, reinstalled MC, and a little heart stopping moment when I couldn't find any backups in JRiver/Library Backups/Media Center 23 but I found loads in /Media Center 21 with dates well after my original MC23 install.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible issue when restoring library across versions.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:21:26 am »

Is it possible that when you  restore a library that was backed up under an earlier version of MC that the default location for library backups stays set to the location it was when you made the backup?

Yep.

MC uses the Backup location setting in "Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups" for all its automatic backups. You should check out that setting and look in the directory to see your automatic backups are working.

However, if you run a manual backup or restore using the "File > Library > Back Up Library/Restore Library" I'm pretty sure MC takes you to the last directory used for those functions, rather than the directory in the setting. By default that directory will be something like "C:\Users\[UserID]\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 23\Library Backups", and always include the version number in the directory structure.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:39:45 am »

Well..... Imagine my surprise when I checked my settings.

I'm still backing up to the Media Center 21 directory!  (I'm using MC23) .  So I missed this across TWO major version upgrades.  Wowsers.  I've changed it now.

Brian.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:06:21 am »

Well..... Imagine my surprise when I checked my settings.

I'm still backing up to the Media Center 21 directory!  (I'm using MC23) .  So I missed this across TWO major version upgrades.  Wowsers.  I've changed it now.

Brian.

Good, so it's not just me then. Is addressing this something for the "Too Easy IV" thread? Maybe if MC detects a restore from a different backup directory to the current one it could offer to leave the backup directory as is.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:08:07 pm »

The easy solution is to set that backup directory setting to something that is non-version specific. Then do one manual backup to that some directory, which will make it the default for future manual backups and restores, even across MC and PC restarts. Not sure about across MC upgrade, but I think so. That is what I have done, so all backups are in the same place on my HTPC.

Of course, that way there is no obvious difference between backups from earlier and current versions, other than the date. So take note of when you upgrade! I tend to do one manual backup before a major upgrade and rename the backup zip file to indicate it is the last backup of MCxx, so I can tell when I have upgraded.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 06:54:00 pm »

Thanks for posting, mine were going to the 21 folder as well. Updated to point to the 23 folder, I'll have to remember to check this in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up