INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: one album by two artists  (Read 3124 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
one album by two artists
« on: September 02, 2017, 01:14:40 pm »

If I have an album by two artists, for example, "Watch the Throne", which is one album made equally by Jay-Z and Kanye West... can I format the "album artist" filed in a way that it'll show up under both Jay-Z's albums and Kanye's albums, without ripping two separate copies of the songs?

Simply using "Jay-Z; Kanye West" does not work as I thought it might, it creates a new artist name 'Jay-Z; Kanye West'.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: one album by two artists
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 02:46:39 pm »

Jay-Z; Kanye West or Jay-Z / Kanye West

artist and album artist must be the same....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 03:12:16 pm »

Artist: Jay-Z
Album Artist: Kayne West

...or vv

-rovo

~OHM~

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:29:29 pm »

Artist: Jay-Z
Album Artist: Kayne West

...or vv

-rovo
I'm not so sure on this
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:49:22 pm »

Neither of those suggestions are working. When I look at my main view (Artists), I'd like the same set of files (the rip of this CD) to appear under both "Jay-Z" and "Kanye West" separately. I'm assuming this isn't possible and I'll have to rip two separate copies of the files (one for Jay-Z and the second rip for Kanye), but thought I'd check in first to see if I'm mistaken.

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 03:55:56 pm »

I'm not so sure on this

I just tested this. It works for me. I don't need it but it works as asked for

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 03:57:49 pm »

I just tested this. It works for me. I don't need it but it works as asked for

uh no it doesn't. Sorry.

Spike1000

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 04:43:14 pm »

Tagging:
The Artist field supports lists: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is two list items
Album Artist is singular: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is a single item.

From my notes in this post https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111775.0.html

Spike

~OHM~

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 09:25:39 pm »

Neither of those suggestions are working. When I look at my main view (Artists), I'd like the same set of files (the rip of this CD) to appear under both "Jay-Z" and "Kanye West" separately. I'm assuming this isn't possible and I'll have to rip two separate copies of the files (one for Jay-Z and the second rip for Kanye), but thought I'd check in first to see if I'm mistaken.
I guess I read your post to fast. I didn't understand you were looking at a artist view. I had it in my mind you were looking at a album view....I'm not sure what you want is possible, that being said there would be no need to re-rip just make copies of the files you already ripped and update the tags accordingly

221bBS

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 11:41:33 pm »

You can use the [Album Artist] field plus an expression field, say [Album Artists].

expression for the [Album Artists]:
Code: [Select]
[Album Artist]&datatype=[list]
[Album Artist] = Jay-Z; Kanye West
use semi-colon to separate artists in [Album Artist].

Start using the expression field [Album Artists] instead of the default [Album Artist] for your views.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 12:16:41 am »

This is the answer.

Tagging:
The Artist field supports lists: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is two list items
Album Artist is singular: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is a single item.

From my notes in this post https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111775.0.html

Spike
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 08:47:11 am »

While Spike's statement is true, setting the [Artist] field to two different artist names will NOT make that album appear twice in the Artists view.  I just tried it thinking it would work; it does not.  This is because  the Artists view uses the value of [Album Artist (auto)] as it's first category.  It ignores the [Artist] field.

If you make a new Artists view that uses [Artist] as the first category, then this technique works and shows two albums from two artists.  One under each Artist.

Unfortunately, a view like that is rather UGLY.  Because it shows you every single artist on every compilation album, every multi-artist song on every album, etc.  Mine has dozens and dozens of duplicated album covers from things like "hits of the 80s".

If you can live with this clutter, then this solution definitely works.  I'm not sure of a more elegant way to do it.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 05:59:35 pm »

Yeah, it's not the complete answer. But it is the correct answer.

That is, it is the correct way to set up the data. From there, any view you like can be set up. A search of the standard Artist view for either artist will show the Album, which is a start.

Putting two artist names into the [Album Artist] field was the wrong idea. Putting two artist names into the [Artist] field is the correct idea. Beyond that we get into the whole "Multiple Artist" discussion, which always gets ugly.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MikeO

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 05:01:16 am »

Surely if there are two artists separated by semi colon you can modify the Artist view to use [Artist] , I guess I must have done mine sometime despite "Not Recommended" overwrite

That way both artists will show the same album. I have several examples

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up