INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center (23) and clients  (Read 2359 times)

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Center (23) and clients
« on: September 02, 2017, 03:06:49 pm »

Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding how my Media Center 23 server interacts with clients.

I use JRemote (and probably someday Panel) to stream video and audio to my phone. I've done this successfully, but I'm not sure I'm optimizing the stream. Most of my audio is FLAC. What setting to do I need to make to ensure the MC 23 server is transcoding the lossless files to some reasonable MP3 stream (or some reasonable video stream)?

Also, I have a number of JRiver MC installations clients at my place that act as clients. So I don't necessarily want the FLAC audio sent as MP3 over the internal network when I load and play another JRiver library.

Is there a way to do this?

Finally, I'd love to know if there's a way to filter video results when using JRiver as a DLNA server (or turn off the DLNA server part entirely). I have kids and a wide-ranging movie database. They have a DVD player that sees the DLNA server. Any way to only let them see kid-suitable stuff? Or do I need to 1) turn off the DLNA server from my main movie library and 2) run a kids-only set of content from a different MC installation?

Thanks! I love the program, but I feel it's much more powerful than I can ever discover in actually using it!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center (23) and clients
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:43:01 pm »

I use JRemote (and probably someday Panel) to stream video and audio to my phone. I've done this successfully, but I'm not sure I'm optimizing the stream. Most of my audio is FLAC. What setting to do I need to make to ensure the MC 23 server is transcoding the lossless files to some reasonable MP3 stream (or some reasonable video stream)?

Don't have JRemote so can't say.  Search the forum for JRemote mp3 discussions. Some people stream to JRemote while in the car, for example, so maybe it can specify transcoding. There is a Remotes Forum where JRemote is discussed.

I don't see any way to transcode files when using WebGizmo/Panel. I am probably missing something obvious.

If you were streaming to a DLNA client on a tablet or phone, there are settings under DLNA to specify transcoding.

Also, I have a number of JRiver MC installations clients at my place that act as clients. So I don't necessarily want the FLAC audio sent as MP3 over the internal network when I load and play another JRiver library.

That is controlled on the Client in settings under "Options > Media Network > Client Options (when connected to a Library Server) > Audio Conversion > Conversion" set that to "Don't convert audio"

Finally, I'd love to know if there's a way to filter video results when using JRiver as a DLNA server (or turn off the DLNA server part entirely). I have kids and a wide-ranging movie database. They have a DVD player that sees the DLNA server. Any way to only let them see kid-suitable stuff? Or do I need to 1) turn off the DLNA server from my main movie library and 2) run a kids-only set of content from a different MC installation?

You can completely turn off DLNA under "Options > Media Network > Advanced" If you untick "DLNA Server" then your kid's DVD won't see anything on MC. You will see other DLNA functionality you can turn off. Google "DLNA Server", "DLNA Renderer", and "DLNA Controller" to understand what they are .

If you do want to allow them to see some stuff, but not other stuff, then you can define DLNA Views under "Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers" > Select/Add/Remove unwanted DLNA the servers (you will note this is where you can configure transcoding of media shared via DLNA rather than MC's Media Network, discussed above) > ...Customize views"

The above will give you functionality to set up the views you want, similar to the Theatre View views creation/editing functionality. See attached image for an idea of what you could do. i.e. For all Audio and Video, only show media with an "MPAA Rating" of "G, PG, or PG-13". Or you could make a rule as simple as "Keywords includes Kids", then add the Keyword "Kids" to anything you want them to be able to see.

You will need to read up on how to make views in the Wiki and forum. It is a little daunting, but if you ask for specific help someone will make a suggestion.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:41:22 am »

Thanks for the information. I'll dig into this a little more on the JRemote side, too.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:20:48 pm »

In jremote itself, in the library connect options, you can choose if music should be transcoded. This is for the ipad/android device itself.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)
Pages: [1]   Go Up