INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change System Name in Panel  (Read 1994 times)

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
Change System Name in Panel
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:19:24 pm »

Good evening,
I am having no luck changing the Id Pi System Name in Panel.
The name broadcast on my network is (none), and I can see that in the Panel application's Admin Settings, as well as seemingly change it. However Panel then states that name change will be made on the next reboot, but when I reboot, it ALWAYS reverts back to the original (none) name.
What else can I do to change the Id Pi System Name, if this does not work in Panel?

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Change System Name in Panel
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 03:30:07 pm »

At the moment, I am not sure why it would not be working from Panel. I will take a look into this.

For now, you can also change the Id system name from the Id main menu. If you don't have the Id connected to a monitor, you can connect to it remotely with an RDP or VNC client.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:25:57 pm »

It's on the text menu, not in MC.

You could also do it from Panel, using the settings icon at the bottom.  Here's a sample command.  Substitute your own IP Address.

http://192.168.0.13:52199/Panel/

In settings, choose Admin.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 06:32:51 pm »

It's on the text menu, not in MC.

You could also do it from Panel, using the settings icon at the bottom.  Here's a sample command.  Substitute your own IP Address.

http://192.168.0.13:52199/Panel/

In settings, choose Admin.

I see it now in the main menu, chose 15, renamed and rebooted, and it still stays with the old name just like it had been doing when I changed it via Panel's Admin Settings.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 06:45:05 pm »

Ok I've managed to get it to revert to the original default system name from the main menu by just hitting enter, and then reboot.

I can live with this original system name though I'd really like to rename it, and that also brings up the question of why it ever became named (none), I never entered that or chose that as a name at any point.

EDIT: I've now managed to get a custom name to be accepted, apparently by not using any capital letters or spaces. That said, this custom name shows up on my network after reboot, however Panel still shows the default system name even after closing and reopening Panel.

Another curiosity, assuming the reason the custom system name was accepted by not using any capitals or spaces, the default system name does make use of capital letters, so why can't they be used in a custom system name?

BradATIMA

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:40:10 am »

Capital letters in the system name should be fine. However, it will reject a name with spaces because Unix does not like spaces in the system name.

I thought that Panel mentioned not allowing certain special characters, but apparently not, so I will add those to the system name instructions on Panel.

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:30:42 pm »

Capital letters in the system name should be fine. However, it will reject a name with spaces because Unix does not like spaces in the system name.

I thought that Panel mentioned not allowing certain special characters, but apparently not, so I will add those to the system name instructions on Panel.

Ok, thank you.

For clarity, I still can't get Panel to change the system name, any success I had was through the main menu. Are you able to recreate that problem in Panel?
Pages: [1]   Go Up