INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How important is it to have a file/folder structure in JRiver?  (Read 3380 times)

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
How important is it to have a file/folder structure in JRiver?
« on: September 07, 2017, 02:25:49 am »

The other day I installed a NAS and used the Wiki "Library Transfer" instructions where I had JRiver move the files from my C drive to the NAS. This worked out pretty well in that my tags were all intact as were playlists. It was only a few days later I looked on the NAS with file explorer and noticed all my 2 level folder system was gone! Why would it do this? I tried manually rebuilding by starting with just one album but the tags are no longer there nor the playlists either afterward.

My question is in the subject line, how important is this? I don't have a large library now, only about 2500 tracks so far but plan to add a LOT more in the coming years, much of it coming from ripped vinyl and I am afraid I am going to regret abandoning my 2 level file system. I understand tags do the work in JRiver, but just tonight I was trying to convert and import some WAV files into flac, and I found I was having to scroll a long list of tracks in order to get to where the new FLAC files were so I could edit them and bring in the cover art, and fill in the fields that can't be auto filled because they came from vinyl I ripped.

It is really going to be a pain if I have to completely rebuild this library from scratch.. Any advice will be appreciated.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: How important is it to have a file/folder structure in JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 03:29:56 am »

MC uses the metadata in the Database to display your media so the file/folder structure is irrelevant.....

however

.....we all like to have things ordered nicely anyway, and MC lets you do this (and I'm one of these people!). 

If you use the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function you can build your file/folder structure using the Meta Data from MC.  Eg for my Music I use "[Media Type]\[Album Artist (Auto)]\[Album]" for the folder structure and "[Track #] - [Artist] - [Name]" for the filename.  You can pick any combination that works for you.  The reverse is also true.  MC can use the File Structure and Folder name to populate it's meta data during the import ("Fill Properties from Filename"). 

Both these options let you preview what will be changed and of course you can reorg it at a later date if you want.
JRiver CEO Elect

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:17:45 am »

20-30% of my music I purchased from HighRes Audio, Linn etc. The rest are CD rips. I have kept it simple and use [Artist]/[Album] as the main folder structure for all my Audio an do the rest with MC.

- For Images I have one main folder Images and a subfolder describing an Event e.g. vacation in ... with date ....

- For Video I use a different structure more related to the format and source - BD and DVD have a "complicated" substructure given by their format:

4k Demo Videos /[Name of 4k Video]

DVD/[Name of DVD] (usually the Name given by TV&Movie Info)

BD/[Name of BD]  (usually the Name given by TV&Movie Info - but for James Bond I have given them it a prefix 007 to sort them-  this requires to turn off Get movie & TV info in autoimport - because it would every time overwrite it - you can get the same in MC if you us the grouping item to sort it - but you then don't have it on the folder structure)

Mediathek/[Name of file in Mediathek (Series and films from public TV downloaded)]

Home Videos/[Name of Home Video]

Music Videos/[Name of Music Video]

All tagging I do in MC.

WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:56:52 am »

MC uses the metadata in the Database to display your media so the file/folder structure is irrelevant.....

however

.....we all like to have things ordered nicely anyway, and MC lets you do this (and I'm one of these people!). 

If you use the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function you can build your file/folder structure using the Meta Data from MC.  Eg for my Music I use "[Media Type]\[Album Artist (Auto)]\[Album]" for the folder structure and "[Track #] - [Artist] - [Name]" for the filename.  You can pick any combination that works for you.  The reverse is also true.  MC can use the File Structure and Folder name to populate it's meta data during the import ("Fill Properties from Filename"). 

Both these options let you preview what will be changed and of course you can reorg it at a later date if you want.

That worked slick! Thus far I have only moved 1 album (14 tracks) into its new file structure. I used the presets for both the folder setup and the file rename as I don't have much classical and don't need a more complex setup. Also I don't do any video with JRiver, I am strictly audio.

Question now is, do you see any reason why I can't just select the rest of my library and do this same procedure?

BTW I really want to thank you for your help on this! I tend to get a little overwhelmed by the power of JRiver at times. It really is the big leagues in media players.

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 10:43:13 am »

OK I just went ahead and did it, changed my entire library so that it now has a 2 level folder structure and the file names are all the same as well. It all went very smoothly and it seems all my playlists are intact, all the ratings and other tags made the trip just fine!

Now as I go on ripping new stuff I see where it already has my back by keeping the same structure I used to do this procedure.

Very happy camper!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:28:18 pm »

:)
JRiver CEO Elect

Z0001

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:35:27 am »

Can you use Fields in this way to set a folder path when using the convert format function?

And will the audio art be saved in that folder also?

Thanks
Z
Pages: [1]   Go Up