INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some songs won't import  (Read 2508 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Some songs won't import
« on: September 09, 2017, 09:06:02 am »

Hi all, I did a search for this and didn't get much. Sorry if I missed a post. My problem seems so simple, but yet I can't fix it.

I can narrow it down to one artist, although I am sure the problem is with others.
Ronnie Montrose.. In my library he is "Montrose" only. I have 6 or so albums by him.
Unfortunately, not all of them import. About half do import completely, several more only have a few songs, and the album "Montrose" doesn't appear at all.
Even in the Files view, there is no Montrose by Montrose album. Thinking it might be a permissions thing, I copied all Montrose from the NAS to my local C drive. Still the same. The entire Montrose album is missing, and many songs for two other albums are also missing. The files are there. I can play them... and, if I check "add to library when played" it does. Mostly. I added Rock the Nation (track one) from Montrose, played it. It added to the library... then I played the whole album. All songs were added to the library, but Rock the Nation was removed!! The album is now in the library, but it is missing track one. The logged in user has full access to all files in the Montrose directories.I have reset permissions many times. Owner as well. All rights are exactly the same as the ones which do import normally. All Flacs.
What am I missing? :)

Thanks.
Don

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some songs won't import
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:10:53 am »

It could be your tags.  Those albums might be tagged incompletely such that some songs have the [Artist] field filled, and other songs do not.

You could do a search using the filenames or directory names and see what shows up.  Or, use the Files view and drill down directory by directory until you find one of the problem albums and the files in that album.  Look at the tags there.  You'll likely find a problem with the [Album], [Artist], or [Album Artist] tags.

Good luck.

Brian.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 09:43:01 am »

How do I look at the tags if I can't import them? :)
I did go into tag and rename, and changed the titles and saved the tags, they still did not import into MC.
The Album is missing in File View, so I cannot tag it.
I did play each file, which added it to the library, then I saved tags from library, then I deleted them from the library, ran import, and it did not find them.
It just does not see them there..

Don

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 09:50:49 am »

I'm suggesting that the files *have* been imported, but you can't see them in the views you are looking in because the tags are incomplete.  That's why I suggested drilling down directory by directory to locate the files.  Of course this is just a theory.  This might not be the case at all.

Another possibility is that you have imported these files previously, and you have "ignore files previously removed from library" checked.  Tools > Options > configure auto import > tasks

It might not be enough to just uncheck that option.  I'm honestly not sure.  I know that MC maintains a database of deleted files.  In the past I have removed entries from this database in order to get files to import again.  You can build a smartlist to show you these.  Use "limit database to:  removed files" and it will show you the entries in the deleted files database.

If the files play, then it's probably not a permissions issue; not 100% sure about that, but seems like if they can play they can be read so...

Good luck.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:11:29 pm »

EDIT: Oops, I assumed you were running MC23.0.48 because I just read a thread where someone confirmed they were. Doh!

As you are posting in the MC23 forum, I will now assume you are using MC23. What specific version? Update to MC23.0.48 anyway. There was a problem fixed with Auto Import in MC23.0.47, although that stopped all importing. This could be related. See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes_MC23

Otherwise...

-------------------------------------------------

My sequence of actions if this happens is;

Always check the "Detail" at the end of a manual Import.

Check the "Recently Imported" Smartlist and if there, add the [Media Type] and [Media Sub Type] columns and check they are correct. The "Recently Imported" Smartlist is searchable like any view, so search for "Montrose" in there. i.e. TV Shows sometimes import as Movies, and so don't show up in my Shows View. With Audio that is less likely to be the problem though, unless you have custom Views that exclude some files. Unfortunately if this isn't the first attempt, the data may have "fallen off" the Smartlist by now. It doesn't keep them forever.

Check the "Removed Database" and if I find them in there, delete them from that list. Rerun Auto Import.

Check tags in the original files with Windows Explorer or some other tool. Check the spelling of important tags when doing this. i.e. "Montrose"

Turn on MC logging and run an Auto Import, and try to work out what happened. I find Notepad++ is an excellent editor to view logs, search for content and so on. Search for part of the file name to find what is going on.

If MC plays the files, they are okay. If it imports them when you play them, then it can import them. It is most likely a View that is hiding them, or they have been previously removed, so they get removed again. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Import on Play" function ignores the "Removed Database", but I am a bit surprised that the files get removed from the Library afterwards.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:46:20 pm »

Hi,

I have been trying to fix this since before 22.... :(
Someone comes up and says they can't find "X" in the lists, I find it on disk and add it manually.
For years now.

Manual import gets no new files. The detail shows nothing. They don't appear in the "Files" view either.

I am intrigued.. what is the removed database? I see no reference in the Wiki, nor in the option search box.

I see, I have to create a view for that...all items and limit db to removed.
I must say that wasn't easy to find, perhaps a prebuilt Smartlist could be added to the build? :)

Anyway, that fixed it.... over 600 songs in deleted that wouldn't import...did after deleting them from the list.

Thanks!!

Don

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 11:51:55 pm »

Anyway, that fixed it.... over 600 songs in deleted that wouldn't import...did after deleting them from the list.

Excellent!

Yeah, the Removed Database is a bit obscure because it isn't mentioned. There should have been a note in the Auto Import Details dialogue like the example below.

Library now has 104 files. Search and update took 0:00.

Imported 0 new files.
Skipped 1 file (previously deleted from library).

In-depth details:
Skipped (previously deleted from library):
    F:\Junk\MC Temporary Local Media\21st Century Breaks\3-12 Cass & Slide - All the Freaks (Dark Globe mix).mp3

I use a Smartlist to display what is in that database, but a View works fine as well. I'm not sure what would be included in the Auto Import Details dialogue if the database contained 600 records, but it lists all 39 deleted records on my test system. 600 records would be a big list. Maybe MC omits the detailed listing if the list is going to be too big?

Actually, if audio files are both removed from the Library and deleted off disk or recycled, I don't think they are put into the Removed Database. I haven't tested that properly, but I have recently deleted a lot of audio files off my main system, and they don't show in that Removed Database list. Hmmmm.

Anyway, you are good to go. All fixed.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up