INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on JRemote (Feedback, Requests, etc)  (Read 1149 times)

Neco

• World Citizen
Thoughts on JRemote (Feedback, Requests, etc)
« on: September 11, 2017, 12:13:36 am »

Overall JRemote is pretty good.  But I wanted to touch on a few things.

AAC streaming has already been discussed in a separate thread;  I would just add to that,  could we not have a  streaming cache option?  Preferably one where we can specify the encoder to use, etc just like a file conversion.    At least until AAC streaming is implemented.   Could it possibly be in the form of beefing up the present conversion cache with more options (use as streaming cache option, etc)

I think have a more generic cache option, with flags which can be set (use as mobile sync, use as mobile streaming cache, etc) might be a good solution here.

Is any audio processing done on streamed files?   like DSP, etc?    The DLNA setup is unclear about whether or not this applies to mobile streamed content.   Having options to control it from within JRemote might be nice too.  Mainly applying things like Volume Leveling, etc  according to R128 tags.

Could we get configurable failover options?    What I mean is, sometimes when you want to resume playback on the go and start the app up, you will have to hammer the "wake" option.   I don't think the issue here is a PC being asleep issue.   My PC is not set to sleep and my drives do not spin down.   Sometimes it connects pronto, other times I have to hammer for no reason.    I'd like to tell it  to do something like  "infinite retry for 30 seconds,  60 seconds" etc.

Likewise,  how does JRemote buffer?   It appears to me that it copies the entire file but I'm not quite sure.   Sometimes a track will start playing and cut out with a playback error, or the error will happen on a track change.    I want the ability to specify "retry on this error X times"  so if a playback error does occur I don't need to pick my phone up and hit fuss with tapping the track / play button / whatever again; especially while driving a moving vehicle.

Sometimes I get gapless playback and sometimes I do not.   I don't know if this is a bandwidth issue or not, but if I could just tell JRemote to prebuffer the ENTIRE next track, as an option, that would sure be nice.  That way it is always 1 track ahead and gapless songs will never had a loading gap (some are brief but I can still detect).

Can we get some clarity on the transcoding options?   Media Center lets us specify  "transcode to X format unless file is already in X format".   JRemote appears to force a transcoding to MP3 even if the file is already an MP3  (or it is worded poorly).

I tried very briefly, using JRemote as a remote for theater view etc..   There seems to be a very long loading pause going on, where the remote is not responsive for tens of seconds.   At first I thought the feature flat out didn't work or that I was doing something wrong.   What is it doing and why does it take so long?

Can we maybe get support for  Up/Down  directory commands from  car head units?     Having an option to say  "process directory changes as Disc changes within an Album" (for properly tagged multidisc albums),   having an alternative option  "process directory changes as an Album skip", so whatever the sorting rules might be, the next Album in the list would be queued up.

Likewise can we get Search button support?   My head unit lets me do that.   I know that may or may not be ipod specific  (my deck is sold as having ipod/android/etc support)  but it would be neat to be able to use some of my controls again.  Right now all I get is track changes

I don't have any actual playlists made so I haven't tested that feature, although my head unit can also handle them in some menu somewhere.  I think the head unit gave an error when I tried browsing playlists, but not sure if that is because there were none in my library, or because its not supported.

talosman

Re: Thoughts on JRemote (Feedback, Requests, etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 12:25:18 pm »

I would just like to know why JRemote just decides to only play from the main server instead of the laptop zone that I have specified.  Sometimes re-booting my iPhone will help it along, but not this time.  Vert flaky. I can manually play from the laptop as a zone successfully, just cannot use JRemote.  If I use JRemote it plays from the server no matter what zone I select.  If I "Link" to the server the music will play from both but not start them at the same time.  Sometimes it works without issue.  I am on MC22.  Will going to MC23 help?
Pages: [1]   Go Up