INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get Dirac to work with JRiver WDM?  (Read 5434 times)

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
How to get Dirac to work with JRiver WDM?
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:53:41 am »

I just bought Dirac, and I'm trying to get it to work with JRiver's WDM. I am using JRiver's DSP studio as a DSP for an active speaker. Now I'm trying to add room correction. This is what I want

2 Channel source -> Dirac -> JRiver WDM -> DSP Studio to 8 channel -> Sound card

When I'm running Dirac Live Calibration Tool and select JRiver 23 as the output, it says "Play stimulus failed" whenever Dirac tries to play its tones. With any other output, such as SPDIF, sound card output, Dirac play its tones just fine.

This might be Dirac's problem, but I can't be the first one to try to use Dirac with JRiver. Has anyone gotten Dirac to work with JRiver?

Thanks

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to get Dirac to work with JRiver WDM?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 03:06:56 am »

The wdm driver picks up the feed from the default windows audio device so you don't play to it directly as such. This may be your problem.

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:45:00 am »

The wdm driver picks up the feed from the default windows audio device so you don't play to it directly as such. This may be your problem.

That's my problem. There is no option to get Dirac to output to the default audio device. It must select a specific audio device. It sees JRiver as an ASIO device, wonder if that helps.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:06:55 am »

That's my problem. There is no option to get Dirac to output to the default audio device. It must select a specific audio device. It sees JRiver as an ASIO device, wonder if that helps.
the asio device is the asio line in device not WDM, this should still work though you have to manually open it in jriver as opposed to it automatically activating

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:09:20 am »

the asio device is the asio line in device not WDM, this should still work though you have to manually open it in jriver as opposed to it automatically activating

How do I manually open this?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:18:01 am »

actually I misremember, asio line in is to route the input from some other asio device into jriver. The jriver asio device is this feature I think -> https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82082.0

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 10:59:32 am »

I just bought Dirac, and I'm trying to get it to work with JRiver's WDM.
If you purchased Dirac, then you can use their 16 channel VST Plugin in JRiver. This is much better than using the WDM driver. You need the 32-bit version of the VST plugin.

Contact Dirac and they should give you a download link if it still available. It was always a "beta" product so wasn't publicly released.

RD James

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 11:30:34 am »

What may be tripping things up is that the WDM audio device can be slow to initialize and cuts off immediately as soon as playback stops.
I haven't used Dirac Live, but this is bad for other calibration apps where timing is important.
What may help is to have something open playing some very low volume white noise just to keep the WDM driver "active" instead of stopping and starting every time a tone is played.

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 01:52:55 pm »

actually I misremember, asio line in is to route the input from some other asio device into jriver. The jriver asio device is this feature I think -> https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82082.0

So what does that mean? What should I be doing to get it to route into JRiver?

If you purchased Dirac, then you can use their 16 channel VST Plugin in JRiver. This is much better than using the WDM driver. You need the 32-bit version of the VST plugin.

Contact Dirac and they should give you a download link if it still available. It was always a "beta" product so wasn't publicly released.

OK I'll contact them. But then I still can't do the initial calibration without getting it to use WDM first. Or can VST's get its own sound input?

What may be tripping things up is that the WDM audio device can be slow to initialize and cuts off immediately as soon as playback stops.
I haven't used Dirac Live, but this is bad for other calibration apps where timing is important.
What may help is to have something open playing some very low volume white noise just to keep the WDM driver "active" instead of stopping and starting every time a tone is played.

I have a workaround to get WDM to be always on by having it listen to the line-in input on my sound card, so it is always on. WDM not activating is not the problem as it is always active.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »

So what does that mean? What should I be doing to get it to route into JRiver?
did you read the 1st post of the linked thread? Matt explains the functionality there. Basically the intent is that you can output to that device from some audio software that supports ASIO. Assuming dirac supports asio, that should mean you can pick that device in dirac and play to it. If I try that using REW then I see a filename in playing now like live://ipc?pipe=000009E4&streaming=0 and this stays open, once playback has started, until REW exits. If dirac opens and closes the device repeatedly and this is causing it to break then you could try using the asio multiclient driver (https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48) or something like vbcable to bridge them.

BCZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 01:39:14 am »

did you read the 1st post of the linked thread? Matt explains the functionality there. Basically the intent is that you can output to that device from some audio software that supports ASIO. Assuming dirac supports asio, that should mean you can pick that device in dirac and play to it. If I try that using REW then I see a filename in playing now like live://ipc?pipe=000009E4&streaming=0 and this stays open, once playback has started, until REW exits. If dirac opens and closes the device repeatedly and this is causing it to break then you could try using the asio multiclient driver (https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48) or something like vbcable to bridge them.

Reading that gave me a clue to my problem, and now I figured it out.

The problem is because Dirac could not play into the ASIO input of JRiver because it was being occupied by another source, namely, the WDM driver. I had the idea to get Dirac to route to ASIO4ALL, then have ASIO4ALL route to JRiver. But doing that, I noticed that the ASIO input for JRiver 23 is marked unavailable. After some tinkering I realized it is because the WDM driver is hogging the ASIO input. When I stopped routing all my system audio to the WDM driver, including the workaround I made to prevent the stream to be stopped after my music stopped playing, the ASIO input became available and Dirac could use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up