INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comfortable zones audio playback with JRemote  (Read 1530 times)

richieb

Comfortable zones audio playback with JRemote
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:19:28 am »

Hello,
I am considering buying JRiver MC just for audio playback purposes only.
My concerns are about JRemote app (both for iOS and Android), if it allows:
 - playback of different album to different zones at the same time
 - playback of different album to different existing zone links
 - configuration of zone links

The idea behind is that I have 3 locations and sometimes I want the same album played everywhere, sometimes 3 different albums in 3 different zones etc. and I ONLY want to control the media center through Remote app on phone.

Can somebody please confirm that this all is possible?
Thanks a lot!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Comfortable zones audio playback with JRemote
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:46:38 pm »

Most of this should work.  The playing back to linked zones might not work correctly depending upon your setup.  If you are using a multi-channel, direct attached DAC, you should be able to set that up to send audio as multiple zones and have the zones link and sync correctly.  E.G. a 7.1 channel DAC has 8 channels and can power 4 zones with 2 channels each.  Or 8 zones with one channel each, etc.

However, if you are wanting to use network based renderers as zones, MC will not be able to sync those zones.

Brian.

richieb

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:29 am »

Thanks for extensive answer!

Can I consider 3 PCIe sound cards as "direct attached DAC"? I guess so... And I only plan stereo setup - 2.0 channels per each sound card.
No networks attached DACs in the setup.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:56:34 am »

Yes, but those DACs will not share a clock and will therefore have some amount of drift between them.  For zone linking, I am not sure if this will be audible.  I have been told that the drift is significant when you want to use multiple sound cards to do things like electronic crossover, where the inter-sound card timing becomes important because small changes in timing equal changes in the phase relationships.

I'm just not sure how much the drift actually becomes over time.  If it stays under 30mS or so, you should not be able to hear the timing difference.

Also, you can NOT make or break links using JRemote.  You can do that from MC's computer interface, or with a third party remote called EOS.  EOS runs on Android only.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up