INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dtshd not recognized?  (Read 2533 times)

Chipicui

• Junior Woodchuck
dtshd not recognized?
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:59:49 pm »

Hi!...
I've searched the forums but couldn't find relevant information, so I'd like to ask:
Can MC 22 read ".dtshd" 24/48 files created with audiomuxer?
When I try to play them nothing happens... If I change extension to ".dts" they play fine but they appear as 24/48 Khz DTS files, not DTS-HD.
Foobar reads and recognizes them inmediately as DTS-HD MA
I'm I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your answer!

Chipicui

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: dtshd not recognized?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:40:45 am »

Any idea?... many thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:54:57 am »

I'm unfamiliar with the program you are talking about and the extension you are using.  Someone else might know what you are doing.

MC definitely decodes DTS-HD MA audio in movie files like MKVs and MP4s.  If you used an MKV container, it would almost certainly work.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Brian.

Chipicui

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:47:59 pm »

Thank you! ...well, in all fairness neither I had seen this extension before, but this is what i got after extracting audio from a dts-hd ma blu-ray with audiomuxer (excellent tool by the way).
Strangely foobar recognizes the extension and plays it in full resolution.
I'm going to follow your advice and wrap them in mkv to see what happens then.
As i wrote earlier if i change extension to just dts JRiver plays them fine but shows them as just dts (i suppose it's playing just the core part of dts-hd ma but i can't check it because the function [Bitrate] doesn't show anything)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:25:17 pm »

Check the [Compression] tag for the file. It should show something like "bdmv video (video: H264, audio: DTS-HD)", or at least the audio section should show dts-hd.

You could also check the file using the great little tool, MediaInfo, to see what it thinks is inside the file. It is quite possible that Audiomuxer isn't properly identifying the audio content in the file, or doing something strange, so MC is as you say, just playing the DTS Core audio.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 02:37:23 am »

I've added the dtshd extension for the next build. And as far as I can tell, it plays them in their full HD glory just fine (even if renamed to .dts). As Roderick points  out, you can always check the "Compression" tag to see which profile it identified them as - or a combination of Channel and Bit Depth and Sample Rate, since for example 24-bit is only available in HD, or anything above 48000 Hz (or 8 channel, but thats more likely for movies then something you would want to extract as audio).

If it played as 24-bit as you said in your first post, it would've had to decode the HD part to get 24-bit already. The Audio Path only shows the file type, not the actual codec profile, unfortunately.

It sounds a bit backwards, but if you have DTS-HD MA (ie. lossless), you would get Bit Depth 16 or 24-bit (Integer), while if you play the DTS Core, you would get 32-bit (floating point), which is just how the decoder works.
In Lossless the original 16 or 24-bit integer audio signal is being fully restored, in lossy core mode it decodes to floating point audio, which is always 32-bit. That way you can always check if its decoding core or HD, but i'm pretty confident in our DTS-HD decoder.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Chipicui

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:38:46 pm »

Thank you very much to both of you, Roderick and Hendrik.
Unfortunately I don't have those files right now to check, as I've converted to flac 24-48 and deleted the originals, but soon I'll try to extract some other files in DTS-HD and I'll check it.
You were right that it is a very rare format for audio... it happens that I was extracting a multi-channel soundtrack from some blu-rays I have because I wanted to be able to hear just the music in MC, without having to lunch the full thing.
The only thing that's for sure is that the same files playing in foobar were showing DTS-HD MA 6 channels and a bitrate somewhat above 4000 kbps, so I guess that at least foobar was decoding them as really HD MA and not just core.
It would be great to have a direct way to check bitrate of compressed files in MC without having to compare wordlenghts.
Maybe it's already there but I haven't found it, the [bitrate] function didn't return anything in this case
I'll check the compression tag as you say, as soon as I have some new files.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 03:08:37 pm »

Audiomuxer also supports output to FLAC files from BD/DTS HDMA.  That might have been a better choice.

Chipicui

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:06:34 pm »

Hi Fitzcaraldo215, in fact I recently discovered that I can save the files directly as flac, as you say and it's the best option :-)
Thanks for the input!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 04:21:10 am »

FYI - MC has the built in ability to convert the Audio Track from BD's (or any other Video) to FLAC (or other supported Audio Formats).  No Need for any other progs.
JRiver CEO Elect

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 01:45:27 pm »

FYI - MC has the built in ability to convert the Audio Track from BD's (or any other Video) to FLAC (or other supported Audio Formats).  No Need for any other progs.

Interesting.  I never thought of that.  Is the result one separate FLAC file per BD chapter?  That would be ideal.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 07:04:16 pm »

Interesting.  I never thought of that.  Is the result one separate FLAC file per BD chapter?  That would be ideal.

Yes, I think that can be done. Search for "Particles" and check out Jmone's Swag of Tools.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 07:15:19 pm »

MC will convert an Audio Track to a single audio file, including:
- The whole BD Audio Track, or
- A Playback Range (that could be a single chapters worth - eg a Song from a BD Music Video)

MC Lets you create "Particles" that represent these ranges in Videos.  Swag Of Tools lets you auto create these Particles for each Chapter of a BD (from which you can the convert to FLAC if you want using MC).

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up