INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem Using Media Center 9 with Nomad2MG  (Read 7680 times)

Ilumina

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Problem Using Media Center 9 with Nomad2MG
« on: May 26, 2003, 09:23:19 am »

Hi there, anyone can help? I got a Nomad2Mg and i downloaded the trial of this media center 9 to try. I got the handheld plugin from the website of j-river and installed it. When i click on the handheld tab in media center i can see Nomad II but when i try to access it , the whole media center hanged and i have to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to close it. Any resolution of getting my player to work?

10sne1

• World Citizen
Re: Problem Using Media Center 9 with Nomad2MG
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 10:06:21 am »

My experience is that so far, you can't access your files loaded on the Nomad Jukebox.  You can upload to it from Media Center but not play.

Ilumina

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 10:16:18 am »

actually i can't even get to see what is inside my Nomad2MG moreover want to format it. I also can't even put files into my Nomad2MG using the Media Center. My nomad is flashed with the latest firmware n i am using the latest drivers

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 05:35:31 am »

Ilumina,

Can you be sure to get the stand-alone drivers from nomad's site (nomad2drivers.exe).  If this does not work, please be sure you can connect using Nomad's software to rule out any hardware issues.

Steve

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 07:45:59 pm »

Same problem here!

I downloaded the latest nomad drivers for windows XP from nomadworld.com.  MS WMP 9 works fine with my nomad (both internal & smartmedia memory).

When i try to double click on the nomad in MediaCenter, the program hangs and i have to end the task from the task manager.

Any ideas?

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 07:01:17 am »

DCipher,

When you say you have the latest drivers, are you getting the following file... nomad2drivers.EXE from http://www.nomadworld.com/downloads/drivers/welcome.asp?region=2&LangID=1033&OS=10&prod=52&Select=Get+Files&x=56&y=9  

Please be sure to get that file and then let me know if you are still stuck.

Steve

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 04:58:39 pm »

Yes, those are the exact drivers I downloaded & installed yesterday.  Still have the problem.

TIA,
Jeff

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2003, 08:18:27 am »

Jeff,

I just retested this on multiple XP PCs here with no problem.  Please double check in Plug-in Manager that you have Plugin 9.0.04 installed. If you do, almost certainly this is a driver problem. Try removing any software/drivers that you have installed that access the Nomad and reinstall the stand alone drivers which are the ones that we have tested and know work.

Steve

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 05:45:10 pm »

Thanks for the advice.
Checked the plugin version, it is indeed 9.0.04.

So, I uninstalled my Nomad II drivers, unplugged the nomad, reinstalled the drivers, reconnected the nomad, ran Media center, double clicked on the Nomad...

The screen on the nomad goes into the icon for connecting for about 30 seconds, then goes back to the current song.  Media Center just keeps the hour glass up and stops responding.

Not sure where to go from here.
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1.  Oh yeah, i just tried WMP9 again to see if it works, and it does, very quickly, no problems.

Jeff

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 03:26:23 am »

As a follow up to this problem:

I installed the nomad2drivers.exe on my laptop (win2k pro), then installed MediaCenter, then connected the device, then downloaded the plugin for mediacenter.

Everything works perfectly.

So, some driver must be messed up on my WinXP Pro box, but i'm not sure how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 05:22:57 am »

I'm having this exact same problem. I'd reported it earlier and Steve asked me to use the Nomad Manager to format my memory card. I finally got around to trying that last night (after like 2 months or something), and MC still hangs when I try to access it. So I uninstalled the plugin, reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled the plugin, and tried again.

It still hangs.

Steve... do you still have the version of the plugin before 9.0.0.4? That one worked for me, and it was exactly after I installed 9.0.0.4 that these problems began. Any chance you have it available still so I can try it? Maybe something in the newest broke it for us for some strange reason?

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2003, 06:09:49 am »

DCipher and Doof,

This is almost certainly a driver conflict. I just tested on XP with the latest version of MC (9.1.201) after installing WMP 9. After the WMP 9 installation, MC could not initialize the Nomad. I then went to..

http://www.nomadworld.com/downloads/drivers/welcome.asp?nsuflag=0&region=2&LangID=1033&sDestURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nomadworld.com%2Fdownloads%2Fdrivers%2Fwelcome.asp&OS=10&prod=52&Select=Get+Files&x=36&y=3

and installed the nomad2drivers.exe drivers. My system said something about not being able to install the ctdrvins.exe files but this did not seem to matter. I reconnected my Nomad and everything was great.

My conlusion is that there is a conflict with the drivers installed for WMP 9 and the steps above can fix it. Could you try my test and if it fails, let me know if you have any other software installed that accesses the Nomad and I will install it to see if there are additional driver conflicts.

Thanks,

Steve

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 06:46:50 am »

I'll give it a shot tonight but here are my thoughts on this...

1. These are the same drivers I've had installed. These are the same drivers I reinstalled last night. But I'll download them again right now and try it again just to be absolutely sure.

2. You and I were going back and forth trying to figure out why my Nomad had songs that were cut off towards the end, remember that? During that whole thing, everything worked fine. Then you released 9.0.0.4 of the plugin and immediately after installing that, MC would lock up when accessing the Nomad. Nothing else changed on my system other than the plugin. This leads me to believe there's something going on with the plugin.

3. The only software I have that could possibly access the Nomad is MC, WMP9, and Nomad Manager. The only one that I ever use is MC. I only just fired up Nomad Manager last night to format the card like you asked me to do.

But I'll give it all another shot tonight and see how it goes. I was actually beginning to think it may be a corrupt memory card until I found this thread.

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 08:23:39 am »

OK, so, i reinstalled the nomad2drivers.exe, re-ran media center and tried it out.  Same problem.

Then I uninstalled Media Center, downloaded the latest, reinstalled Media Center, reinstalled the plugin for the Nomad II MG (9.0.04) and still the same problem.

I know my Nomad works because i can plug it into my laptop and access it from Media Center without a problem.  The only other program that i have that uses the Nomad is WMP 9 (which works fine).

Anything else I should try?

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2003, 08:33:51 am »

Doof,

9.0.04 has been out since 4/30/03 so it is not new. Even when it was released, the changes had nothing to do with how the Nomad is accessed by the PC. Where exactly does MC hang?

DiCipher,

WMP9 is a nightmare. I installed it this morning to test and have been fighting it ever since. As you proabably already know there is no way to make WMP9 go away. The system restore is a joke.  Do you have WMP9 installed on your laptop? Where does MC fail and how?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2003, 10:30:47 am »

MC hangs as soon as I click the Nomad node on the tree. I click and nothing happens. MC just stops responding to anything except and End Task.

Wasn't it 4/30/03 when you and I were discussing the song cutoff problems? Like I said earlier, you had posted a new version of the plugin, I installed it and immediately this problem began. I mentioned it to you, and you told me to format the memory card. I just now got around to doing that.

Actually, I just checked and here's the exact PM... It's dated 4/11/03.

Doof,

Not sure. It works fine for me here on multiple PCs. Try formatting the media and then we have to chase drivers. Tell me where to get the ones you have installed and I will get them and see if I can break it here.

Thanks,

Steve

But like I said, I'll give it another try tonight and report back. It just strikes me as odd that a perfectly functioning system would suddenly stop working with the install of a new plugin.

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2003, 11:22:49 am »

Doof,

I know it seems like the new plugin is relevant, but I checked the code that changed and it was only a very minor change totally unrelated to this. I am confident that whatever the problem is it is not related to that version of the plugin.  Ilumina's experience of everything working great on one PC and failing on another is a much stronger indicator that this is a driver issue. Solving it is another problem.

Steve

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2003, 12:57:55 pm »

Oh, I believe you. It's just that, in my field, when something suddenly breaks, the most likely culprit is the last thing to have changed.

But you're the expert, so I'll take your advice and see what happens. If all else fails, I'll bring it to work with me tomorrow and try in on my laptop.

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2003, 01:38:33 pm »

The problem with these darn computers is trying to figure out which change made the difference. Especially when you start introducing a middle tier of drivers, these can be changed without meaning to or without your knowledge. It is frustrating for all.

My relearing of this lesson came today after putting WMP9 on. I restored my system to the point where it was before the install so everything should have been right back where it was. This was sadly very untrue.

Thanks for giving it another try and we will pick up the trail tomorrow.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2003, 05:54:12 pm »

Well, I've uninstalled the driver. Redownloaded and reinstalled the driver. Uninstalled the plugin, and redownloaded and reinstalled the plugin.

MC still freezes.

But... Nomad Manager crashes when trying to copy files and WMP reports that an error occured when trying to copy files.

But at least Nomad Manager and WMP were able to browse and format the media. MC just locks as soon as I click on the Nomad node.

So... bad memory card perhaps? That's kind of where I'm leaning now...

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2003, 05:36:03 am »

Doof,

Hard to say. Is it possible to go to another PC and then attempt to connect/transfer to the Nomad. This will rule begin to rule out PC/driver issues.  If you can format both the internal and external memory successfully and read the data from them, I am disinclined to think it is a bad memory problem. If you can read data from the Nomad, it is most likely not a bad USB cable/port issue. I still lean towards thinking it is a driver or bad player(hardware) issue.

Steve

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2003, 03:28:04 am »

Steve,

MC fails (hangs) when i click on the Nomad II item in the tree.  You can see the Nomad turn on, go into "connect" mode for around 10 seconds, and then goes to the last played song.  At that point, MC is hung and can only be closed (Not Responding).

In my experience, WMP9 has not been a nightmare.  Everything has worked.  It is quite picky about MP3 tags however, and it isn't nearly as functional as MC !
That said, BOTH machines have WMP9 installed.

One major difference is one machine is WinXP Pro and the other is Win2k.  I could run through everything i have installed on my XP Pro box if that will help.

Thanks,
Jeff

DiCipher,

WMP9 is a nightmare. I installed it this morning to test and have been fighting it ever since. As you proabably already know there is no way to make WMP9 go away. The system restore is a joke.  Do you have WMP9 installed on your laptop? Where does MC fail and how?

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2003, 05:18:43 am »

Jeff,

Since the XP is the one that isn't working, running through what you have on there would help. I retested this on XP here with the current builds and all was fine. I think we should concentrate on making sure there is no driver conflicting with the stand-alone ones which I know work.

Steve

pfeffermj

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2003, 07:17:23 pm »

Count me in as another who's having the EXACT same problem with my Nomad II.  I freshly installed the lasted standalone, then the MC9 plugin and I get the dreaded hangup when I click on the Nomad II Icon in MC9.

I know for a fact my Nomad works with this computer too, because I've used other software to connect to it earlier today (got rid of all remnants of it before I tried using MC9, including registry entries)

I am running Windows XP Home SP1 with WMP9 installed.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in so you know it's not a totally isolated problem.

--Matt

Ilumina

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2003, 08:27:01 am »

Hi all, after the so many issue.. I reinstall the system fresh with winxp pro and sp1 and this time without windows media 9 and guess wat the same error occurs. It's like all in vain just to reinstall a new os. Will it likely be the problem of creative's crappy drivers or firmware for the NomadIIMG. (My Nomad II Mg is the 64mb onboard that is fitted with another 128mb smartmedia).
Even tried the same technique with the mc beta versions and also same thing keeps coming.. Got kinda tired of it and switched to another software called Notmad Explorer which uses Windows Explorer to transfer files from pc to the Nomad and vice versa.
Hopefully in time to come there are new releases of the plugin that will resolve what is current being wrong.

SteveG

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2003, 11:57:43 am »

Anyone who is having problems with the Nomad II, can you please post the firmware version you have so I can test against whatever version you have.

Thanks,

Steve

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2003, 05:43:40 am »

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for... but the only thing I can find on mine that looks like it might be a firmware version says "V3.00"

SteveG

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2003, 06:03:56 am »

I just installed the latest firmware (2.04)on my Nomad IIMG and everything here works great. Both on my PC and another clean XP with the standalone drivers installed and WMP. I am testing with MC 9.1.203.

I still stand by my theory that this is a driver issue.  For anyone who is still having problems, uninstall all other applications that access the Nomad( except for WMP 9 which is unremovable).  Get firmware 2.04 if you have a NomadII MC. Install the standalone drivers.

At that point if you cannot get connected, let me know what OS and what version of MC you are running and I will test your OS and MC version. So far I have tested 9.0.180 on 2000 and XP with firmware 2.04 without a problem and 9.1.203 on XP and 2000 with firmware 2.04 without a problem.   I will let you know what I see if we get this far without a solution.  

Obviously we are getting different results, so the best way to solve this is to keep removing variables (i.e. different versions of MC, different OSs, different firmware, etc) until we figure out what is wrong.  

Steve

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2003, 04:14:10 pm »

OK, here goes:
The computer that doesn't work has:
Windows XP SP1
Nomad II MG Firmware V2.04 (64 MB internal, 64 MB external)
MediaCenter 9.0.180
9.0.04 plugin
Latest stand alone drivers for the Nomad II from nomadworld.com.
WMP 9.00.00.2980

No other Nomad software installed.

The computer that DOES work has:
Windows 2000 SP3
EVERYTHING from the list above is the same.

Jeff

SteveG

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2003, 11:43:10 am »

Jeff,

Thanks for the review of what you have. I installed on a clean XP with no SP1 and all the same versions as you listed and everything worked well. The SP1 could be relevant, but it is hard for me to set it up to test.

Can you go to Device Manager and check the properties on the driver for the Nomad II MG? Here is what I show...

Nmusb.uns
ctmp3io2.dll  - v 1.06.4.0
ctnmsp.crl  - v 1.0.1.0
ctnmsp.dll  - v 1.0.14.0
Nmusb.sys - 1.0.4.2.12

Please let me know what versions of these files your system shows.

Thanks,

Steve

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2003, 12:49:15 pm »

I'm not actually using a Nomad II MG. I just have the Nomad II. It uses the same plugin and drivers, though, right?

Here's what I have:

Nomad Manager reports:

Version: 1.01 Firmware: 3.00

XP Driver versions:

Nmusb.uns  - Unknown
ctnmsp.crl  - v 1.0.1.0
ctnmsp.dll  - v 1.0.14.0
Nmusb.sys - 1.04.2.12

MC System Info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.204 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1667 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 272 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-240B    Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2003, 04:00:59 pm »

Steve,

Here's what I show:

Nmusb.uns
ctmp3io2.dll (1.06.4.0)
ctnmsp.crl (1.0.1.0)
ctnmsp.dll (1.0.14.0)
Nmusb.sys (1.04.2.12)

So, they look the same as yours...
Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the review of what you have. I installed on a clean XP with no SP1 and all the same versions as you listed and everything worked well. The SP1 could be relevant, but it is hard for me to set it up to test.

Can you go to Device Manager and check the properties on the driver for the Nomad II MG? Here is what I show...

Nmusb.uns
ctnmsp.crl  - v 1.0.1.0
ctnmsp.dll  - v 1.0.14.0
Nmusb.sys - 1.0.4.2.12

Please let me know what versions of these files your system shows.

Thanks,

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2003, 12:48:45 pm »

It looks like the XP SP1 could be the culprit. I have a call in to Creative to see if they can verify that this should work. Can any of you who are having problems verify that you have the same problem on an OS other than XP with SP1 installed? It will take me a couple of hours to set this test up here and I would prefer not to invest the time, so if you can give me more information, that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2003, 08:40:26 am »

A new test today. XP SP1 on a clean PC. I donloaded nomad2drivers.exe (CN2-WBDRV-W1-US) and everything worked well. I am at a loss as to why it is not working for you.  

Please verify the exact file that I mention above as the driver you have installed by going to Creative's site and getting that file one more time.

Thanks,

Steve

DCipher

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2003, 03:18:53 am »

Steve,

I absolutely, 100% have the correct file from nomad world.  I double and triple checked.  It's there, installed.  I also listed the versions of the driver files and they match yours perfectly.

Jeff

SteveG

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2003, 05:14:36 pm »

Jeff,

I am somewhat at a loss. I can't fix what I can't see as broken.  If you are willing, drop me an email, and I will cusomize the Plugin with some error messaging that might give me a clue what the problem is. I will email it to you with instructions on how to register it on your sysytem.

Thanks,

Steve (steve @ jriver.com)

SteveG

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2003, 09:01:05 am »

Everyone,

I have just posted a new plugin (v 9.0.05) which incorporates the latest updates from Creative. I hope this will solve the driver problems. Please be sure to install the nomad2drivers.exe from Creative's site for compatibility with this plugin.

Steve

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2003, 12:59:25 pm »

Nope.

SteveG

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2003, 01:27:43 pm »

Doof,

I sent Jeff a test customized plugin this morning with some error messaging that may help. I will now wait to hear the results of his testing to try to find a solution.  If you want to run the test, drop me an email.

Steve (steve @ jriver.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up