INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benchmark DAC-1  (Read 3917 times)

hillcreative

• World Citizen
Benchmark DAC-1
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:25:01 am »

Just attached my new Benchmark DAC1 to mediaCenter 23 on UBuntu and it sounds gorgeous. The DAC1 up-samples everything to 110KHz then outputs a sweet analog to headphones or XLR. Question: any suggestions on what to set Output Encoding to? Currently trying 88.2 KHz 64 bit 2 channel. Source is 44.1 16bit 2 channel (linear PCM WAV files)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Benchmark DAC-1
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 11:02:07 am »

Just attached my new Benchmark DAC1 to mediaCenter 23 on UBuntu and it sounds gorgeous. The DAC1 up-samples everything to 110KHz then outputs a sweet analog to headphones or XLR. Question: any suggestions on what to set Output Encoding to? Currently trying 88.2 KHz 64 bit 2 channel. Source is 44.1 16bit 2 channel (linear PCM WAV files)
I'm not an expert on this but you could try turning on the SoX resampling option in MC then use sample rates that are even multiples of your source material.
I.E 44.1k -> 88.2k or 176.4k
48k -> 96k or 192k

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:40:57 pm »

Like Bob, I'm no expert either but I'd set MC to do no encoding and leave the source signal untouched. If your DAC upsamples - great. Let it do that work in one step.

Keep it simple and don't mess with the signal more than you have to. I'd use MC for volume leveling / replay gain. That sort of thing - just the basics.

At least do a comparison and let your ears decide.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:58:51 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions!
In other words turn off the Output Format and let the DAC1 do the upsampling and DA conversion.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:13:10 pm »

You'll have to set sample rates for <44.1kHz and >192kHz, and probably want to set channel mixing to 2 channels too, rather than outright disabling it.
Enable SoX and TPDF Dither too.

You may also prefer to upsample everything to the maximum rate that your DAC supports if you play random tracks rather than albums, since that will avoid sample rate switching between tracks.

hillcreative

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:27:05 pm »

You'll have to set sample rates for <44.1kHz and >192kHz, and probably want to set channel mixing to 2 channels too, rather than outright disabling it.
Enable SoX and TPDF Dither too.
So sorry to ask but where do I set SoX and TPDF Dither. It does not seem to appear in the Output settings.  -Cheers!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 04:32:20 pm »

So sorry to ask but where do I set SoX and TPDF Dither. It does not seem to appear in the Output settings.  -Cheers!
SoX is in the main audio options menu.
The Dither is under Audio->Advanced. I have no idea what that does!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:43:56 am »

SoX is in the main audio options menu.
The Dither is under Audio->Advanced. I have no idea what that does!

Just shakin' boxes on planes apparently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither#Etymology

Each to their own but with the source involved:
Source is 44.1 16bit 2 channel (linear PCM WAV files)
I'd still suggest starting off with a minimalist approach and then making adjustments progressively and listening for positive change.

For dithering, I've left the MC default JRiver Bit-exact Dithering switched on. I've not done a comparison with the options. When I get the chance / inclination, I'll have to remember to check this out.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RD James

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 08:25:45 am »

When you use TPDF dither it reduces distortion caused by audio processing. There's no downside to it.
That Wikipedia page goes into some more detail about it.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »

When you use TPDF dither it reduces distortion caused by audio processing. There's no downside to it.
That Wikipedia page goes into some more detail about it.

But the Dac1 has unbelievably good correction algorithms itself, so why mess around with JRiver? I would switch off any sound processing by JRiver and thereby enjoy what must be one of the best DACs on the planet.

RD James

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 06:02:55 pm »

But the Dac1 has unbelievably good correction algorithms itself, so why mess around with JRiver? I would switch off any sound processing by JRiver and thereby enjoy what must be one of the best DACs on the planet.
Dither is about eliminating distortions which occur before the audio reaches your DAC. It's not something a DAC can correct after the fact.
I also don't agree with the notion that all audio processing is bad. Something like JRiver's Volume Leveling makes a big difference to the user experience, and dithering prevents it from affecting the audio quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up