INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod, sound check and MC23  (Read 1445 times)

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
iPod, sound check and MC23
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »

Hi, Everyone:

Do you know if I need to enable DSP and volume leveling in the sync conversion options to make my iPod classic use sound check to control the volume leveling?  I'm using ALAC lossless CODEC.  (I've modified my iPod to use 128 GB sd card - I have 1500 ALAC files and I still have 81 GB left!)

Thanks for your help!

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPod, sound check and MC23
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 04:50:33 am »

If you enable DSP and Volume Leveling on conversion, files will be encoded using track-based leveling and you will not need to enable anything on your device since they are already pre-leveled.

MC does not write Sound Check tags to files based on its audio analysis for some reason, which are what tells the device to adjust the level of each track on playback, rather than encoding it at a different volume level.

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:22:04 am »

Doing a search (with Google - using the forum search yielded resulted in too many unrealted posts to sort through), I found this:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,79578.msg543002.html#msg543002

which states that:
Answer found - as per Matt (JR) from 5/31/2009 -

"If MC is used for syncing it includes the Sound Check values automatically if the replay gain values are present in MC's library."

So there's the answer - MC is automatically placing Soundcheck values (Derived from the RG values) to the device during sync. Works for me.

---

So I guess it's just doing it automatically - at least in MC 18.  Not sure about now, 6 major revisions later.

Edit - so apparently I can't do math.  23-18=5 not 6.  At least that's what my calculator says.  ;)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:17:57 am »

I'm not seeing soundcheck tags added to any of my files when using handheld syncing.
I don't know why MC would not just write them alongside the RG and R128 tags during analysis.

Bill Ko

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:52:13 am »

I'm not seeing soundcheck tags added to any of my files when using handheld syncing.
I don't know why MC would not just write them alongside the RG and R128 tags during analysis.

I've noted the same thing.  I have no idea what to make of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up