INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to Rebuild my PC  (Read 1691 times)

eam81969

• Recent member
Need to Rebuild my PC
« on: September 20, 2017, 12:58:46 pm »

Due to a faulty Windows update, my JRiver PC will no longer boot.  While I'm comfortable with rebuilding windows, I don't want to loose my JRiver settings if I don't have to.  I can boot off USB and copy some of the files.  Also, my library is on a separate drive - no worries there.  What I need to know what files from the JRiver installation directory do I need to preserve?  Is this even possible?  Any tips/recommendations would be very helpful.  Thanks.
i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 w/Intel HD Graphics 530
ASRock H170M Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Mobo
8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HD
DVDFab
Windows 10
JRMark: 4405

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need to Rebuild my PC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 01:18:34 pm »

The settings are in the registry, so you can't get to those easily without booting. But you could grab the latest automatic library backup from C:\Users\...\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 23\Library Backups, which includes the settings (or wherever you moved your Documents directory, if you changed it)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 01:18:57 pm »

Look for the backup files that MC makes.  Search for *.zip.

Install MC on the new driver, then restore the backup.

Then restore your license.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

eam81969

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 01:19:50 pm »

Great, guys!  Thanks!
i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 w/Intel HD Graphics 530
ASRock H170M Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Mobo
8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HD
DVDFab
Windows 10
JRMark: 4405

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »

In the future I would tell MC to store It's backup files to a location on the 2nd drive then you will most always have better access. What I also do is send a copy of MC backup to the location of the actual music file backup location. I learned the hardway many many years ago....backup backup backup you can never have to many....lol
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:27:43 pm »

If you can boot off a USB drive, and the USB you have is a Windows 10 System Repair disc or can create one, or you have one of those, you would probably have been able to run a Windows Repair and get everything back as it was. This is the easiest thing to do when Windows gets broken and you can't boot. I make a current Windows System Repair disc (DVD) about once a year, so that the environment is up to date. You made one, didn't you?

It is a bit hidden in Windows 10, and actually uses the Windows 7 Backup and Restore functionality, but it is supported and works. Windows Settings > Update and security > Backup > Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) > Create a system repair disc.

I think you can also download an image of a recovery environment disc from Microsoft somewhere, if you don't have such a disc already. Google is your friend. Make sure you get any such environment from a legitimate source.

PS: Not to forget, depending on where you got your PC and how it was setup, there may be a recovery environment on the hard disk. You just need to work out how to initiate it. Usually a key combination or through BIOS. You may also have been able to boot to Safe Mode and fix the issue. Lots of ways to fix these things other than rebuilding Windows. https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up