INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounted CD Drive  (Read 1051 times)

MRjr

• World Citizen
Mounted CD Drive
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:52:03 pm »

I have a CD drive exported, with all permissions, from one computer and mounted as Z: on the music server. When I attempt to rip from the mounted drive, MC23 fails to even see the mounted drive. It shows up in all other software.

Why?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mounted CD Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:28:40 pm »

You don't want to rip from a mounted drive.  Proper ripping requires a real local drive. 

Brian.

MRjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:04:39 pm »

It isn't whether I want to but why MC can't see the drive. And I do want to rip from a mounted drive. I can install software from a mounted CD drive so there is no reason not to be able to copy music files.

Spike1000

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 01:01:27 am »

so there is no reason not to be able to copy music files.

I think the point Brian is making is that ripping isn't just a process of copying files off the CD it requires direct access to the hardware so it's not the same as installing software off a shared CD drive. When you share the drive on your pc, it does not show up as a CD-ROM on remote computers, it just shows up as a regular folder.

Ripping needs to deal with scratched/dirty/imperfect discs when ripping over a network you're relying on a file share protocol to access the data presented from the share rather than direct access to the hardware. Direct access gives the ripping software the ability to monitor sector error counts and retries etc.

Spike

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:19:24 am »

That's correct.  As far as I know, you can only do a proper "secure" rip from a real device attached to a computer.

Remember CDs were never designed to be copied.  They are not CD data discs.  We are using a reverse engineered process to "rip" the data from them.  Similar (but not the same) to DVD and BD, which were also never designed to be copied. They require special programs with special procedures.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up