INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does frame packed 3D work on Intel?  (Read 4382 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Does frame packed 3D work on Intel?
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:17:51 am »

I have 3D working ok with Nvidia hardware, but someone I know wants to try it with Intel. What is the status of 3D playback with Intel (4th or 5th gen i3), and if it works, are there any tips on how to set it up?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Does frame packed 3D work on Intel?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:12:06 am »

As far as I know, it should work on Intel.  An i3 might not be enough though.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:34:05 pm »

I have 3D working ok with Nvidia hardware, but someone I know wants to try it with Intel. What is the status of 3D playback with Intel (4th or 5th gen i3), and if it works, are there any tips on how to set it up?

it never worked reliably for me on intel.   it would start playback but eventually crash

that was on a core i5 on a mac mini running bootcamp / windows 7

if you have MC23 working on nvidia please let me know as i have an nvidia chipset but 3d mvc only works on MC22 for me

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:08:25 am »

I too noticed that 3D stopped working as effortlessly on Nvidia as it did in earlier builds - it did not occur to me that it was separated by the upgrade to MC23. The way to get it to work in MC23 is to manually turn on 3D in Windows settings and set MadVR to exclusive mode. Neither of these were needed in some previous builds where the settings changes were automatic.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 12:38:09 pm »

if i do that madvr wont engage exclusive mode for me.   only works in MC22

may i ask: what nvidia driver version are you using?

do you have 3Dplay and vision also installed?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 12:47:21 pm »

I'll do some proper testing tonight and see if I can get you some answers.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 05:10:27 pm »

thanks - much appreciated!   if it helps, here's my rig:

nvidia 1080TI chipset
drivers 385.69
windows 10 64bit, creators update
JRiver MC23 either 32 or 64 bit same issue
FSE enabled in madvr

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 12:34:25 pm »

Was testing a little today:

I hooked up my HTPC using a Display Port to HDMI cable that only supports up to 1080p.

I was then able to use MC23 to playback 3D in windowed mode (still does not kick into FSE even though selected).

I then swapped cables back to HDMI 2.0 and was able to set the desktop res to 4K/60.

From that point MC23 continued to playback 3D properly.

If I rebooted any device in the HDMI chain -- HTPC, Marantz AVR, LG OLED TV, then MC 23 no longer would output 3D correctly.

Again, with MC22, works fine every time including kicking into FSE.  Same version of madVr in each case as I updated this for both MC22 and 23.

Still think this is an MC issue; curious what others discover

I at least now know that it was the addition of a 4K display into my chain and move to MC23 where the trouble began

I may keep a 1.4 cable connected to another HDMI input on the Marantz and 2.0 cable connected for 4K content and see if I can just swap between them when I watch 3D movies.

It's not the most convenient, but it can at least be done from the comfort of a chair :)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 12:58:53 pm »

3D support in MC has not changed since MC22. Its more likely that NVIDIA had a profile in their driver for MC22, but not for MC23.

3D is inherently only 1080p though, most displays seem to have issues with delivering 3D through 4K, if they work at all.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 04:27:01 pm »

3D support in MC has not changed since MC22. Its more likely that NVIDIA had a profile in their driver for MC22, but not for MC23.

3D is inherently only 1080p though, most displays seem to have issues with delivering 3D through 4K, if they work at all.

I was hoping i could simply set everything to 1080p 3D prior to playback, but that didn't work either.

in any case, I do have an (albeit somewhat inconvenient way) to get 3D working again with MC23 and I've been able to repeat the process.

i suspect you are on to something that it's in the nVidia driver then as I have both MC22 and MC23 using the same LAV filter version and madVr version.  and I would assume that's where all the heavy-lifting is performed for playback

thanks for the replies.  curious what fitbrit discovers in testing.

cheers!

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 07:19:41 am »

i sent a debug log from madvr to madshi.   here is his reply:

——-
The problem is that in order to 3D playback, madVR automatically switches to 1080p23. However, MC23 stays at 4K resolution, and also tells madVR to render to 4K resolution. In order for madVR to switch into FSE mode, the madVR rendering window must match the display resolution. So this is a bug in MC23 which needs to be fixed by the MC23 devs

———

can the MC23 devs look into this?

thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:44 am »

We don't support changing the resolution after video playback has started, which it is apparently doing. Besides, nothing changed how this is handled in forever.
You could setup a zone in MC for 3D and let MC switch the resolution to 1080p (by using Video -> Display Settings), which should probably work, since it happens much earlier than madVR doing it.

As mentioned earlier, 4K and 3D don't mix. Luckily, 3D is already on its way out.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 10:35:08 am »

We don't support changing the resolution after video playback has started, which it is apparently doing. Besides, nothing changed how this is handled in forever.
You could setup a zone in MC for 3D and let MC switch the resolution to 1080p (by using Video -> Display Settings), which should probably work, since it happens much earlier than madVR doing it.

As mentioned earlier, 4K and 3D don't mix. Luckily, 3D is already on its way out.

will give that a try.

luckily?  on the LG 4K OLED sets, 3D is pretty amazing.  but it’s all subjective of course :)

thanks for the replies. 

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 01:26:10 pm »

Introducing a 10s delay in Options->Video->Display settings seems to resolve the FSE mode for madVR :)  Consistently seems to engage FSE now.  2s didn't work; 5s was "sometimes"; 10s seems to be the magic number.

Sometimes things are flaky with enough mixed content playback, but it's MC23 64bit and still a work in progress.  It is mostly stable, even between reboots, and powering down/up devices in the HDMI chain.  None of that may ultimately matter, but at least it's working well enough for the 3D watching we do.

thanks for the tip!!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 03:41:00 pm »

Thank you TheShoe and Hendrik for your input. I haven't had much time to test, unfortunately. I did notice that a system restart helped my setup get into 3D mode. My Nvidia drivers are 386.xx, I believe.
I do not have 3DPlay or Vision installed.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 03:42:11 pm »

Any other comments on how it works with Intel, or any MadVR setting recommendations for a 3rd generation i3 to adopt for a smoother experience?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 04:29:07 pm »

Any other comments on how it works with Intel, or any MadVR setting recommendations for a 3rd generation i3 to adopt for a smoother experience?

well from my mac mini experience which has an i3, i had to tweak the cpu and gpu queue sizes under madvr rendering->general settings.   i increased them a little (dont recall exact numbers) and it smoothed out the video playback.   however after maybe 20-30 mins it would crash.   that was several versions of madvr ago, and various other apps and drivers.   

i have read others have had no issues but dont know if that was on an i3. guess ultimately with the 3D support it seams YMMV.   

there are so many permutations of settings, drivers, and apps, that it can be maddening

Pages: [1]   Go Up