INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32 bit version always runs  (Read 1947 times)

csx31

• Recent member
32 bit version always runs
« on: September 23, 2017, 02:03:38 am »

The 64-bit version works fine, and makes a noticeable improvement in my sound quality compared with the 32-bit version.  My problem is that, after loading and using the 64-bit version, after I shut down my computer and restart, the 32-bit version returns by default.  I then have to reload the 64-bit version.

How do I keep the 64-bit version as the default? 

It would be nice if at the top of the screen, where it says "JRiver Media Center 23", that "64-bit" would be included when program is running.  The bit version can be verified if I select the "Help" button, then "About Media Center".  It would be nice if this were displayed full-time in the header.

Thank you for your assistance.

csx31

• Recent member
Re: 32 bit version always runs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »

Every time I shut down JRiver MC 23.0.62 x64, and restart, it reverts to the x32 version.  How do I keep the x64 version as the default?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:24:17 pm »

Every time I shut down JRiver MC 23.0.62 x64, and restart, it reverts to the x32 version.  How do I keep the x64 version as the default?
You're probably running the wrong one.  Check the shortcuts.

csx31

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:09:55 am »

Thank you for your reply, JimH.  I have downloaded from the x64 link, and restored my license several times in attempts to have the x64 version become the default.  And still when I close the x64 program and reopen, the x32 version is the one that appears.  I then have to go to the x64 link and download again to use.

If you can provide further information on how to break out of this cycle, and have the x64 version remain, I would appreciate this.  Thank you. 

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 12:32:09 am »

Thank you for your reply, JimH.  I have downloaded from the x64 link, and restored my license several times in attempts to have the x64 version become the default.  And still when I close the x64 program and reopen, the x32 version is the one that appears.  I then have to go to the x64 link and download again to use.

If you can provide further information on how to break out of this cycle, and have the x64 version remain, I would appreciate this.  Thank you.

There will not be a default version. If both the 32bit and 64bit versions are installed on your pc either can be run.

As Jim said, check the shortcut you are clicking on to start MC and see if it is references the 64bit version of the program.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

csx31

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 04:47:49 pm »

Thank you for your reply, Ken.  I use Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and checked my shortcuts.  Under Settings, Apps, Apps and Features, JRiver Media Center 22, JRiver Media Center 23, and JRiver Media Center 23 (64-bit) all appear, listed individually. 

Under Default Apps, Music Player, JRiver Media Center 23 shows as the default player.  Clicking on JRiver Media Center 23 opens a pop-up box with other choices: Groove Music, JRiver MC 22, JRiver MC 23, Windows Media Player, and iTunes. JRiver Media Center 23 (64-bit) does not appear as one of the choices.  Could the computer see JRiver Media Center 23, and JRiver Media Center 23 (64-bit) as the same program?

If I have JRiver Media Center 23 (64-bit) open, and then uninstall MC 22 and MC 23, do you believe this may correct the problem?  I do not want to lose music, album art, and settings.

My only other option is to re-install the 64-bit version every time I open JRiver, which is the issue I am trying to correct.

Again, thank you for your advice.   

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 05:04:22 pm »

If I have JRiver Media Center 23 (64-bit) open, and then uninstall MC 22 and MC 23, do you believe this may correct the problem?  I do not want to lose music, album art, and settings.
You won't lose your media by uninstalling.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 09:47:38 pm »

First, let me just repeat what has been said several times in various threads;
This is an early build of JRiver Media Center 23 for Windows 64-bit, recommended for advanced users only. You may experience new problems, so please back up your library before installing.

Now, have you finished using the 32bit version of MC? Are you sure? Then you should uninstall it. You can always reinstall it again later if you find a problem you can't live with in the 64bit version.

So do this;
Start MC, which given the above discussion will be the 32bit version.
Backup your Library. Make careful note of where the backup is saved, as you will need to restore it again later. You do not want to lose this backup.
Go into "Options > Startup > Windows Startup". Take careful note of the setting you have there, and then set it to "Nothing".
Close ALL versions of MC and the MC Server if is it running in the background. Yes. Close them all.
Uninstall the 32bit version of MC23. Reboot.
Start MC22. Answer Yes to the question about making changes to your system.
Uninstall MC22. Reboot.
Run the installation of the 64bit version of MC23 one more time.
Restore your Library from the backup you made above.
Go into "Options > Startup > Windows Startup". Reset the setting to what you had in it previously, as noted above.

Done. You now have a clean installation of the 64bit version MC23, and all icons will start that version for you. Copy the icon to the Desktop if you wish, or Pin it to the Taskbar.

If you are unsure about whether you are finished with the 32bit version of MC23, then you should keep it installed and create a shortcut that points to it. Or find the correct shortcut.

Note that the 64bit installation does seem to write the correct Shortcuts into the Windows Menu, overwriting the 32bit shortcuts. However, you may have a 32bit shortcut on your Desktop that you are using to start MC, unless it is automatically starting with Windows. If you are using a Desktop shortcut, you need to change that.

So do this;
Start MC, which given the above discussion will be the 32bit version.
Backup your Library. Make careful note of where the backup is saved. You should not need this backup later, but you should have one at this time.
Go into "Options > Startup > Windows Startup". Take careful note of the setting you have there, and then set it to "Nothing".
Close ALL versions of MC and the MC Server if is it running in the background. Yes. Close them all.

Click on the Windows Start menu.
Click on any letter so that the alphabet is displayed.
Click on J.
You will see a group called "JRiver Media Center 23". Click on it to open it.
You will see an item in that group called "JRiver Media Center 23". Right click on it, click or hover over "More", click on "Open File Location". See the first attached image. You will now have a Windows Explorer window open showing the MC icons inside it.

Now check; Do you have a "JRiver Media Center 23" icon on your Desktop already? If so, rename the shortcut to "JRiver Media Center 23 32bit". Do this by right clicking on the icon and selecting "Properties", then select the "General" tab, then change the name at the top. Leave this Properties page open.
Now, go to the open Windows Explorer window, right click on the "JRiver Media Center 23" icon, and drag it to your Desktop, then select "Copy here".
Right click on that new icon and rename it to "JRiver Media Center 23 64bit". Leave the properties page open.
If you didn't already have a MC icon on your Desktop, drag another copy of the icon to the Desktop from the open Windows Explorer window and rename this second icon to "JRiver Media Center 23 32bit", leaving the Properties page open.

You now have two properties pages open for the two icons. Click on the "Shortcut" tab in both of them.
Click on the "Open File Location" button in both of the properties pages. A Windows Explorer window will open for each. If you arrange them nicely, you will see something like I have shown in the second attached image. Keep the Properties page for each icon and its associated Windows Explorer window together so you can see what is going on.

Finally, in the "Target" field on each Properties page you will see which program is being run when you launch MC using each of the icons. The 32bit version should have a Target of "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 23\Media Center 23.exe", including the quotation marks. The 64bit version should have a Target of "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 23\Media Center 23.exe". The Windows Explorer window will confirm which executable program the icon is currently pointing at.
Change the "Target" values so that they match what I have said above, and what is shown in the second image.
Click OK on each properties page. Close the Windows Explorer windows.

You now have two MC icons on your Desktop, one of which launches 32bit MC, and the other launches 64bit MC. You may wish to right click on the 64bit MC icon and select "Pin to Taskbar" so that you always have easy access to the 64bit version of MC.
Now go back into "Options > Startup > Windows Startup". Reset the setting to what you had in it previously, as noted above.
Reboot your PC.

You are now all done. If you had MC set to start with Windows in the settings then the 64bit should be starting correctly.
Note that there are some issues with switching back and forth between the 32 and 64bit versions. That is one of the reasons that the 64bit version is still only recommended for advanced users. You shouldn't have any problems related to having two versions installed if you only run the 64bit version. Do not run the 32bit installation program again unless you want to change back to using the 32bit version regularly. Only upgrade the 64bit version.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up