INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What good is 100TB of Cloud storage  (Read 2628 times)

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What good is 100TB of Cloud storage
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:43:10 am »

Hi All, I have 100TB of Amazon Drive storage but am finding it less useful than initially thought. All clients seem able to sync from your PC/MAC to the cloud but that means you need 100TB (to max out the cloud storage) of local storage which is not feasible.  The other option is a NAS which I have (~18TB) but the client software will not sync a NAS to the cloud. I can use software like goodsync which can access Amazon drive and sync the NAS that way but until software such as MC can access the cloud then I still need local storage.

So my question is what do you all use the cloud for? Is it just backup of local storage?
I use Dropbox to keep my encrypted passwd database on so all my devices (PC, iPhone, iPad etc) all use the same one. Amazon drive is not supported by keepass or iPhone app kypass which I use to access the passwords.

Are there any plans for MC to access Amazon drive? That would be nice even if it brought the file back locally before playing etc.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Ross

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: What good is 100TB of Cloud storage
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:04:44 am »

Software like this exists, which can make cloud drives appear as a local drive, so any software can access it:

http://www.expandrive.com/
https://www.division-m.com/cloudxtender/ (not sure if this supports Amazon CloudDrive, but various others at least)
https://github.com/Rambalac/ACDDokanNet

(Note: I have not tested or used any of these applications, and I'm not recommending or endorsing them, just using it as an example, and I'm sure there are even more that do the same thing)

At least that would be one way to make more use of it, if your internet is fast enough for realtime access to such files.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 08:36:13 am »

Thanks Hendrik, I'll look into it.

Ross

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:54:49 pm »

Software like this exists, which can make cloud drives appear as a local drive, so any software can access it:
Me too.

Thanks Hendrick, just what I have been looking for my OneDrive.

Cheers;
Doc ;D
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:21:39 pm »

Hi All, I have 100TB of Amazon Drive storage

I paid 60$ for the Unlimited plan, but few months ago Amazon switched to 1TB=60$ per year, so I quickly moved to Crashplan..
Which shortly after I joined also abandoned home edition, but have a discounted migration to Pro plan..

But 100 TB? Wow

markh56

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 09:03:48 pm »

Never really felt comfortable with cloud storage. Just doesn't seem to be secure even though the companies all claim so. All the data hacks tell a different story. As this is JRiver, in terms of media files, I can't imagine how long it takes to back up all of them and then if local storage goes bad, a couple weeks, or more, to pull them down again? Maybe for non-critical text files, zipped and encrypted email archives. Certainly don't need 100TB for that. I attached an external USB3.0 8 TB HDD to my router and back up mkv, flac, ebooks and general files to it. So far works like a champ, just runs.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 02:27:28 am »

I paid 60$ for the Unlimited plan, but few months ago Amazon switched to 1TB=60$ per year, so I quickly moved to Crashplan..
Which shortly after I joined also abandoned home edition, but have a discounted migration to Pro plan..

But 100 TB? Wow

Well 100TB was the unlimited plan which as you say has been dropped. So when my current period expires I will have to look else where but to be honest a USB drive in the back of the router looks like a good option.

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up