INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS and Network Speed.  (Read 1545 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
NAS and Network Speed.
« on: September 30, 2017, 04:02:44 pm »

I'm getting ready to move my storage to a single mutli-drive NAS. Right now I have a 1 bay NAS here, an external drive there, a bunch of drives in my HTPC/MC server. I'd like to get everything in one place, have built in redundancy and easy access from Windows and Mac. I'm looking at the 4 and 5 bay options from Synology. All the options I'm looking at have 2 or more LAN ports that can be aggregated.

I'm looking for confirmation that for normal home networking and streaming maybe (rarely) two 1080 movies at once that normal gigabit speeds are fine. I just copied a 12gig file over the network and Windows Explorer had me at no less than 105MB/s.

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: NAS and Network Speed.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 04:47:42 pm »

I have a Synology DS1511+ with 6tb of storage and raid 5. (3x 3tb WD Red)

I can confirm that I have played 3 ripped (at full quality) blu rays stored on the NAS at the same time to 3 different players without any problem on my gigabit network.

This is my third Synology NAS and its brilliant. It currently has 100+ blu rays and 100+ dvds (all full rate), more than 600 music albums (flac) and a huge library of photos. I have used 4.4 tb of storage, have 1 tb free and the ability to add another 6tb (2x3tb discs) to the existing raid when I need it. Its been running permanently for the last 5 years and never missed a beat!

My advice would be a 5 bay....

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: NAS and Network Speed.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 05:41:52 pm »

Thanks. That is what I thought. I start reading about all the new bells and whistles and figure I probably need it. I don't.

Right now we have about 16TB of storage space apx 10TB used. Can't decide if I should go with 8TB drives or 10TB's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up