INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with FIND AND REPLACE  (Read 1485 times)

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Help with FIND AND REPLACE
« on: June 29, 2003, 08:06:34 am »

Lets say I have the following song name:

Time After Time [Ultimix]

I want to erase everything BEFORE "[" so it will look like this:

[Ultimix]

Any ideas? ?

OR

Is there a way to cut out the [Ultimix] and move it to another field? ?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Help with FIND AND REPLACE
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 08:24:02 am »

Find : "Time After Time "
Replace With : ""

221bBS

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 09:43:57 am »

Hehe...I wanted to do this with all my files not just a single file...I'm planning on moving anything within a bracket into a different field.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 10:24:01 am »

Ok... what you want to do is a little creative use of the Fill Properties From Filename and Rename File From Properties tools.

I'm not really sure how your tags are filled out and what format your filenames are in, so I'm going to assume worst case scenario. Well not worst case... worst case would be that none of your files have any real pattern in their tags or their filename, in which case you'd have to do what you want by hand. But let's say there is a pattern.

Pattern:

The "Name" field of your file is in the format : Time After Time [Ultramix] or something similar. Basically "TEXT [MORE TEXT]"

The Filename is something completely different.

So what you want to do, first of all, is create a new database field (or pick one that you aren't using for anything - for me, Preference or Tempo works - but let's assume you're going to create one called "Temp" and one that's going to contain the [Ultramix] part... I'll call it "ExtraText".

Then...

1. Fill Properties From Filename using the rule [Temp]. This will preserve your filenames, provided that you want them preserved.

2. Rename File From Properties using the rule [Name].

3. Fill Properties From Filename using the rule [Name] [[ExtraText]] (note the double brackets). This should fill in the Name field with everything before the "[" and stick everything in the "[]" into the ExtraText field.

4. Rename File From Properties using the rule [Temp]. This will put your filenames back to what they were before you started this whole thing.

The end result should be that the filename is the same as when you started, Name contains everything before the "[" and ExtraText contains everything inside the "[]".

You'll have to adapt these steps to your exact situation, but I'm hoping that you at least get the idea.

221bBS

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 02:38:45 pm »

Thanks for the help...it worked out nicely ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up