INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id for my RV  (Read 1343 times)

jbpsrca

• Recent member
JRiver Id for my RV
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:56:54 am »

I'm a long time JRiver home user facing a lifestyle change that will have me living in my RV for 4-6 months/year (fun, fun!!). I'm trying to build my music/video setup for the road. JRiver Id sounds like it might be good for this. I have only modest tech skills, so alot of questions. Here's my planned setup. Please let me know if I'm on the right track, or missing something important.
- JRiver Id Classic
- 12v power cord for Id (I assume this is straight forward? what type of cord or power connector is shipped on the Id?)
- Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC
- Samsung T5 500g external USB SSD (I prefer SSD for the road. I worry about road vibrations affecting/damaging spinning drives. The Samsung SSD has a USB "Type C" connector. I presume this fits an Id USB slot?)
- HDMI cable to RV's tv for videos (question: when playing video thru Id - will the video image display thru the HDMI connection to the TV, and the audio still route thru the Dragonfly USB DAC to my speakers?)
- webGizmo on my iPhone to control JRiver (question: webGizmo works fine for me at home where I have my home wifi setup. In the RV, I dont plan to setup a wifi network. Without a wifi network, is there a way to get webGizmo in the iPhone to connect to the Id?)
- I will only be playing media that I carry with me. No need for network connection back to my home JRiver server.

Blu99Zoomer

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Id for my RV
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:31:07 pm »

Hi jbpsrca,

I hope all this travelling is for fun.  Or at least you will have some along the way.  I use JRemote to connect to my Media Center player at home.  I don't try to log on remotely from work or other places so I have never seen the need for webGizmo or Panel.  It sounds like your speakers will be powered, yes?

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

jbpsrca

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:42:56 pm »

yeah, the amp and speakers are pulled from a high end custom car sound installation from a few years back (Focal speakers, ADS amps). this part of the setup is familiar territory for me, and should sound really sweet. Everything before the DAC is the new stuff for me.
I'd expect JRemote and webGizmo to pretty much do the same thing - let my iPhone control the Media Center player. Are there any user interface advantages to JRemote? Are there any connectivity advantages to JRemote (eg how does JRemote talk to the Media Center PC (especially an Id)? over wifi? or come other mechanism (bluetooth??)
thanks!

Blu99Zoomer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 02:00:10 pm »

Hi jbpsrca,

I like your choice of speakers and amps.  I upgraded the sound system on my summa ca a couple years back too.  Good stuff.  I believe that JRemote connects over wifi.  I downloaded that app from the Apple app store and haven't looked back except for occasional hiccups which I believe are related to software upgrade incompatabilities.  They don't last.  I have not seen the webGizmo interface.  Sorry.  There is a lot of JRemote discussion on the Forum here.  I use the standard interface on JRemote but see folks talking about making changes.  It has a nice Theater view which I use.  But it is still on a phone.  I would be interested to see it on a iPad.  The larger screen hopefully allowing more information.  I know I can control multiple zones/computers/renderers with JRemote also.  Playlists can be imported and used though I don't.  I will often start a random play on the playing computer then control start/stop/skip/repeat/etc on the phone from wherever I am.  If you are happy with webGizmo, use it.
I went to a couple of Head-Fi meets a while back.  I saw a Raspberry Pi type device that the developer had set up for use in his vehicle.  So "you got options".

Best,

Blu99Zoomer
Pages: [1]   Go Up