INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just wanted to say "hi"  (Read 3583 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Just wanted to say "hi"
« on: October 03, 2017, 08:24:17 pm »

I've recently moved my media library (mostly audio, but the video side is slowly increasing) to MC from iTunes [can I say that name here?].

I had become stymied by "its" walled approach and wanted support for a wider range of media formats.  At the time I started looking around I didn't realize that I also wanted a significantly better media library manager, but MC educated me in that aspect.

The media library management capability of MC is awesome, simply awesome.

My library is pretty small, only about 30,000 music files and about 500 video files. 

I had ripped my 1600 CDs to MP3 in iTunes and carried that over to MC.  Recently, a.k.a. last month, I re-ripped those CDs to FLAC because I also recently increased significantly the storage capacity of my data server (FreeBSD and ZFS, 6TB now).

I was concerned that I'd have difficulties transferring my "ratings" from the MP3 files to the FLAC files, but I set up a view in MC that made that task easy.  Tediously long (glass of vino helped), but accurate and easy.  (I couldn't automate it because too many of the album titles and song titles changed.  Long story....).

So anyway, here's where I am now...

Media files residing on my data server.  MC main software (acting as MC server) on my Windows 7 desktop.  Then there's a Raspberry Pi 3B that I use as a MC client to play tunes via the TV (HDMI).

It all just works.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hello."

Hello.    ;D
=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Just wanted to say "hi"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:11 pm »

I was concerned that I'd have difficulties transferring my "ratings" from the MP3 files to the FLAC files, but I set up a view in MC that made that task easy.  Tediously long (glass of vino helped), but accurate and easy.  (I couldn't automate it because too many of the album titles and song titles changed.  Long story....)
Unfortunately it may be too late now, but you can copy and paste tags in Media Center using CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste.
So long as you select the same number of files, you can choose to transfer over as many or as few tags as you wish.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 11:33:24 pm »

...you can copy and paste tags in Media Center using CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste.
So long as you select the same number of files, you can choose to transfer over as many or as few tags as you wish....

Thanks for that.

I'm pretty much past the major conversion aspect here, and I'm now full into using MC to bring sunshine and rainbows into my life.  OK, I exaggerate.  But not too much, really. 

This evening, I've been sending tunes from MC to my stereo via fiber optic (S/PDIF).  Fun stuff.  But more important, it sounds quite good, and I enjoy the music.
=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:39:05 pm »

I'm not sure of the conventions in this forum, but ...

continuing on this thread with my recent experiences as I move my media library to MC....

I was a bit disappointed with the ability of the Raspberry Pi 3B to handle the video I wanted to watch, so I looked elsewhere.

I found an "off-lease" HP small form factor PC on newegg for $99.  It has an Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 so my expectations were not too high.

I was surprised.

I got a DisplayPort -> HDMI cable and plugged it in.   I'm still using the Realtek audio via the mini-phone plug.

But, for what I need at the moment, it works surprisingly well.  I'm watching full 1080i HD video and it looks good to my eyes.    It gives me the ability to set up my MC architecture here over the coming winter, e.g., next on the ToDo list is the Infrared remote dongle.

Maybe in the springtime, after I've saved my pennies, I'll move up to one of those Intel NUCs that I see so capably reviewed here.

But for now, this works.  Reliably and capably.

Good stuff.
=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:57:53 pm »

Whoa... when listening to tunes, theater view is cool.   I like how it digs images out of the ether...   :)
=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 10:45:33 pm »

OK, maybe the image algorithm could use a little tweaking...

Low And Sweet Orchestra - "Sometimes The Truth" is showing me images of Benny Goodman and The Chipmunks (!).

Fun stuff...
=========

Ahime

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 12:16:33 am »

It would be glad if could they add new feature [High  Frequency  Compensation  for  Compressed  Digital  Audio (Mp3)]

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 02:59:31 am »

Wow.

It's been a while, but I'm back.

Media Center is working in a most awesome manner for me.  I often find myself listening to (and enjoying!) music in the wee hours of the morning. So much happiness.

But I have questions.  And I don't want to ruffle feathers, but the wiki has been less than helpful.  Google is also oddly odd.  I see references to old, oh so old, versions of MC.  When I try what is recommended, things don't work.  Probably a version issue.

So I humbly ask, how do I get current information about MC?
=========

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 03:07:25 am »

Wow.

It's been a while, but I'm back.

Media Center is working in a most awesome manner for me.  I often find myself listening to (and enjoying!) music in the wee hours of the morning. So much happiness.

But I have questions.  And I don't want to ruffle feathers, but the wiki has been less than helpful.  Google is also oddly odd.  I see references to old, oh so old, versions of MC.  When I try what is recommended, things don't work.  Probably a version issue.

So I humbly ask, how do I get current information about MC?
right here....start a new thread with your question!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 03:36:32 am »

The wiki is the best source of information other than the forum.

Any specific mention of a version was usually meant to point out the minimum version required.  It doesn't mean the information is outdated.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 11:42:09 pm »

OM & JimH thank-you for the replies.

I'll ask my questions in a separate thread.

But so long as I have your attention, the volume leveling feature, something like replay gain, works quite well.  The music media I have is a collection of "digitized from vinyl" and "ripped from CD" and "other sources."

The volumes levels vary greatly among those sources, yet the volume leveling of MC seems to handle it all.  Both I and my neighbors acoss the street appreciate it.  :)
=========

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:05:07 am »

OK, maybe the image algorithm could use a little tweaking...

Low And Sweet Orchestra - "Sometimes The Truth" is showing me images of Benny Goodman and The Chipmunks (!).

Fun stuff...

I've had to disable the sourcing of images from google.  As of now, I have left the others enabled.

But it seems that the google image retrieval has returned some, what I'll call, inappropriate, images.

[edit: should have mentioned, listening to audio in Theater View, the images are the background images]
=========

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:27:56 am »

Check your image settings in Google (not in MC).  They let you set whether to show "inappropriate" images.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:28:39 am »

Please use an appropriate title when you start a topic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up