INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to share Library in this situation?....  (Read 1797 times)

kevinmcdonough

• Recent member
Best way to share Library in this situation?....
« on: October 08, 2017, 04:24:08 pm »

hey all

Been a long time user of J River, and trying to consolidate and share my media across a few different PC's and computers, with mixed success.

I work as a sound engineer, and have J Rver set up on my main desktop PC at home, my sound engineering Laptop, my backup sound engineering laptop and the macbook pro that I use when working as a DJ (which is far less often than it used to be).

While they've always had broadly the same music on them, over time adding different tracks to different computers and adjusting or changing playlists always makes them drift out of sync, and its always a pain of a job sorting it all every so often and making them match again. So want to try and find a more sensible way of doing it.

Copying the actual music tracks between the computers isn't a problem, I have google drive set to back up all my music files and mirror the folder between all the different computers (and I would rather have all the tracks saved locally and play from each computer for times when I don't have any wifi or phone signal to tether). And I can even set the individual computer's J River to auto add from that folder so the tracks themselves eventually get populated into the audio library.

But they don't always come in with the correct metadata, and it doesn't take care of the main part of what I need, that the playlists match, so that if I make a playlist for a particular event it shows up on the work lappy, or if i throw something together at work it then transfers back home to work on further.

Obviously some sort of library server or way to share the library files is what I'm looking for, but the problems is from what I can read in the Wiki (and it's not totally clear) if I used the big PC as a library server it would have to be on all the time to communicate and share the libraries with the laptops, which it wouldn't be.

So really looking for a way to somehow have a way to share and mirror the library while the main PC may or may not be switched off, whether by storing the files on google drive that the other computers can access, or some other way. If it just had to be BIG PC as a server and the others copying then fair enough, but even better if it could work bi bidirectionally between all of the computers so that no matter what one I edited or added files too, the others would sync to match.

Thanks in advance for any help.

axelphi

• Recent member
Re: Best way to share Library in this situation?....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:20:50 am »

Hi,

Maybe you can install JRiver in portable mode and use Google Drive to sync the JRiver portable folder and your music files between each computers.
In portable mode, all settings and playlists are in the JRiver folder.

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best way to share Library in this situation?....
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:22:00 am »

I use MC on a main pc but I also keep USB hard drives synced for use on my streamer should the need arise.

I keep one PCs Master and do all work on this

I use a program called SyncBack to keep all drives in sync. There’s even a free version

On a network is quite easy. Sync Back can either mirror your master or literally sync to keep all drives the same

Hope this helps

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up